Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Am I the only one concerned about Monstropolis?

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    Lets just make sure we all understand that this isn't going into an area that is themed to 1930's Hollywood. It is supposed to be a Hollywood studio backlot. I think that is how they will somehow tie it in theme wise. No facts to back that up, just my gut feeling.
    The same thing will happen as happened with CARSLAND after people saw how incredible it was, and is happening now that people are seeing the level of theming Avatarland will have. All of a sudden the vast criticism is turning around about Avatarland. I think Monstropolis will be the same situation, save a few die hards.
    The fact that its a backlot has nothing to do with it taking place in the 1930s or not. They did exist back then, too. Yes, right now it represents a plain, modern day backlot, but a remodel could change that.

If they do put in Monstropolis, which I wouldn't put past them, there is no way they try to tie it into Hollywoodland. They'll make it its own land. They're too smart to try and feed us the "it fits in Hollywoodland because its a movie" argument. Also, what better way to advertise the parks than a whole, brand new land!

I think a Monstropolis theme is more comparable to Bug's land than Carsland. Could it exist in California? Sure, but it doesn't really do anything to represent the state. On the other hand, if you took all the 'Cars' references out of Carsland, it is still a well-themed area that presents an idealized version of a Route 66 desert adventure.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Because it would sort of be a sub-land in Hollywood land, I'm alright with it. Also I LOVE Monsters Inc. and I'm excited to see what they come up with. I can't think of any other place in either park where they could develop this land other than Toontown being scrapped and replacing it there.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Does anyone know when this is suppose to start construction and then open?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Sorry, always a huge supporter of Cars Land, can't stand Monsters. Just because the area isn't vintage Hollywood now doesn't justify preventing the entire land from ever reaching its potential. The exact same dollars could be spent on another property, this idea that it's either monstropolis or a dead empty corner is just asinine.
    This is my thoughts exactly. My anti-Monstropolis, anti-Avatar land stance does not mean I want nothing to go there. Of course I want something to go there but I want something that has the potential to work with the theme and not just be used as a means to cash in on a movie property. Both films were pretty "meh" to me.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I feel like they're just building off the success of Carsland. The California theme wasn't working but they hit a gold mine with cars. whether or not the same success will apply to monsters is the question.

At least Cars the movies provided a strong identity and theme not strictly associated with the movie itself: Route 66, 1950s car culture, the landscape of the desert southwest. Monsters...well, I can see a ride, but an entire land I can't picture (at least pleasantly) at all.

• Hello Dolly.

I'm usually pretty chill about what Disney does, but I can say I don't really like this either. I'll just have to learn to live with it I guess, I'm sure it will be a fun ride.

As a fan of Disney I'm disappointed though. I can see why they do many things but now it just seems like they're lazy. Monstropolis has absolutely nothing to do with the Golden Hollywood.

Only way I can see this being a benefit is if they can somehow possibly enclose Monstropolis. The back half of those building are horrible anyways, they can still keep the Hollywood theme on one side and have Monstropolis enclosed on the other. You can only enter two ways into the Monsters Courtyard anyways, so it could work. Maybe have the guests enter though a closet somehow?

But I have a feeling it will either take over Hollywoodland, or stand out behind those hollywood facade bulidings.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Disney's attempts at recreating Hollywood is a joke. Most of the DCA guests are locals. Most are familiar with the real Hollywood. The real Hollywood is a dump. To me the Hollywood in DCA feels fake because it is fake. I've grown up knowing Hollywood as a gross and seedy part of LA...
    You've been living behind the Orange Curtain too long dude. It's actually quite vibrant and lively unlike the strip mall suburban hell south of the county line.

I like the idea, I loved the movie... if Monstropolis can capture the "in the movie" feel the managed with RSR, I'd love it.... myh only worry is that it might be too small.... and crowded...
    I think the "city" feel of the street scenes fit perfectly and, let's face it, it is an entertainment park, not a re-creation of Hollywood...
    Monsters, one of my favorite movies....

What's the latest rumours on a completion date for this?

• Artistic integrity

Am I the only one concerned about Monstropolis?
    No, you are not the only one.

Disney went through an awful lot of trouble reinforcing the "California" theme by creating Buena Vista Street, and keeping the "California" part of the name in the title of the park. And reinforcing the formally named Hollywood Back Pictures Lot to "Hollywoodland". With a Red Car running down the street, some minor embellishes .. and some rumored ones coming in the future .. like turning the Hyperion into a fully enclosed theater - all nicely complimented with the 30s/40s Hollywood Tower of Terror, built 9 years prior.

All of a sudden .. they are turning their back on what they just got through completing ... with another toon Pixar addition ... that has absolutely nothing to do .. with the 30s/40s Hollywood .. that they seemed were trying to reinforce with "DCA 2.0".

I'm not a huge fan of this whole idea. I think it's just another pawn in Disney's game to capitalize on every movie franchise that brought on a sequel.
    I completely agree with that ^^^ sentiment.

They are going back and forth with DCA's intended sub theme, like a yo-yo.

Turning it more into a muddled, confused mix .. of fantasy Pixar toons .... and old LA/old Hollywood.

Once I saw Buena Vista street in person ... I was convinced Disney was going to continue with that direction .. whenever they were going to deal with the north end of Hollywoodland. One nice consistent theme ... with the hope of an original ride idea going with the theme of the area.

No!

They are more interested in exploiting another Pixar Toon franchise .. and makes no difference to them ..whether it works with CALIFORNIA Adventure .. or not.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hammersly View Post
    That's pretty much been my thought since hearing about the idea. I was born and raised in SoCal but I think if I visited New York I'd think it was dumb having a New York Adventure Park too.
    This is my feeling as well. I had a hard time wrapping my head around how meta the whole thing was - a theme park about California... in California.

• Senior Minion

Back in the day before Disney became synonymous with brand marketing, they might have made something special of the California theme. Today it's different -- new lands and attractions follow Eisner's dictate that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides." And it won't be only the land and rides that get Monster-ized -- don't be surprised when other divisions scramble onto the Monster bandwagon, especially Disney Consumer Products with a Monsters, Inc. merch push.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    No, you are not the only one.

Disney went through an awful lot of trouble reinforcing the "California" theme by creating Buena Vista Street, and keeping the "California" part of the name in the title of the park. And reinforcing the formally named Hollywood Back Pictures Lot to "Hollywoodland". With a Red Car running down the street, some minor embellishes .. and some rumored ones coming in the future .. like turning the Hyperion into a fully enclosed theater - all nicely complimented with the 30s/40s Hollywood Tower of Terror, built 9 years prior.

All of a sudden .. they are turning their back on what they just got through completing ... with another toon Pixar addition ... that has absolutely nothing to do .. with the 30s/40s Hollywood .. that they seemed were trying to reinforce with "DCA 2.0".

I completely agree with that ^^^ sentiment.

They are going back and forth with DCA's intended sub theme, like a yo-yo.

Turning it more into a muddled, confused mix .. of fantasy Pixar toons .... and old LA/old Hollywood.

Once I saw Buena Vista street in person ... I was convinced Disney was going to continue with that direction .. whenever they were going to deal with the north end of Hollywoodland. One nice consistent theme ... with the hope of an original ride idea going with the theme of the area.

No!

They are more interested in exploiting another Pixar Toon franchise .. and makes no difference to them ..whether it works with CALIFORNIA Adventure .. or not.
    i feel exactly the same way !

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I don't want to see another Monsters attraction, let alone an entire section piecemealed into a mini-miniland - which has nothing to do with the Hollywood/Buena Vista 1920's 1930's theme.

And a door coaster, although a different experience, copies the exact same scene out of the existing Monster's ride.

There are a LOT of other Disney movies that haven't gotten their due share of attractions. Let's try a few of those, BEFORE giving Monsters ANOTHER ride.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast