Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Am I the only one concerned about Monstropolis?

If I'm not mistaken, there has been no mention of this at either of the latest Disney Expo's. If they are building, they sure are tight lipped about it!

• Former Churro Jockey

I really don't understand the concern myself. As others have already said, Hollywoodland is like a backlot. It already has false front buildings, the painting on the wall by Hyperion theater to make it look like it goes on for a lot further then it really does, etc. They could really put any movie-based ride, shop, or restaurant here and it would fit. Just like when you go to Universal Studios and you go on the tram ride. You go through Amity Island, New York St, the War of the Worlds set, etc.

Now, whether Disney should have a Hollywood land with all of this fake studio stuff when Universal not only already has the same thing, but does it much, much better is another matter.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I really don't understand the concern myself. As others have already said, Hollywoodland is like a backlot. It already has false front buildings, the painting on the wall by Hyperion theater to make it look like it goes on for a lot further then it really does, etc. They could really put any movie-based ride, shop, or restaurant here and it would fit. Just like when you go to Universal Studios and you go on the tram ride. You go through Amity Island, New York St, the War of the Worlds set, etc.
    I don't think the whole of Hollywoodland is trying to be like a backlot. It has false front buildings, but so does almost every land in Disneyland. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that they would remove the end wall painting when (if) they remodeled Hyperion Theater.

Also, I'm really not buying the "any movie" fits in Hollywood argument. Monsters Inc. was not even made in Hollywood. Maybe they should carve out a space near Pacific Wharf or behind Napa Rose? They are both much closer in proximity to where it was produced, so wouldn't it work better there?

Hollywood is so much more than just what you see on the screen in movies. It has a real history to it (albeit a bit glorified) that could provide something substantial in that dead space. If they were to keep the "backlot" area, (I wouldn't mind if they made it another city street), they have enough of a culture on their own that you don't need to show me sets of other places. I just really don't think any specific movie that is not based around Hollywood (Roger Rabbit?) would actually work in Hollywoodland.

• "What? What?"

I am not for Monstropolis... especially in this area. I really wish they'd work on keeping the vintage California/hollywoodland theme. I think the challenge they're facing is that the Monsters ride is a perfectly good dark ride. If they commit to the Hollywoodland theme, the ride is out of place. But if you theme the land to Monsters, the ride is fine, money saved!

• Singing Drinker

I don't think there's anything that can be done with the current lineup in that corner to make it a unified themed land, regardless of adding Monstropolis.

You enter via a "real" street with a fairly modern look to the stores and restaurants. Just behind the "real" street is a very VERY small 'backlot' deco area surrounding Monsters and the dance party. There are a few attempts to throw in some "production" deco, but it's limited to that small sliver of the land. Then you make an immediate right past the Hyperion with it's fairly modern exposed architecture and very modern shows - which helps it blend in perfectly with the '20s-'30s "real" deco of ToT.

It all vaguely fits a "Hollywood" theme, but nowhere is there any real attempt to draw it together. They could carve off the entire "backlot" section of Muppets across to the Hyperion and create something with deeper thematic consistency if they had the will - it'd almost by default be more unified than the current theme.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

The thing that concerns me about a Monsters Inc. land is not the movie selection - I didn't care for it myself, but I know it's popular enough - but the decision to create an entire land. I have found this trend - CarsLAND, AvatarLAND, etc - a disappointing turn for the Disney theme parks. A large segment of the park dedicated to a single movie or franchise limits the amount of original content (Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, PoTC) that the park will introduce, and the loss of these original stories is incredibly disappointing. But it also limits the number of Disney/Pixar franchises that can be represented within each park, which means that some favorite movies will never be realized.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I don't think there's anything that can be done with the current lineup in that corner to make it a unified themed land, regardless of adding Monstropolis.

You enter via a "real" street with a fairly modern look to the stores and restaurants. Just behind the "real" street is a very VERY small 'backlot' deco area surrounding Monsters and the dance party. There are a few attempts to throw in some "production" deco, but it's limited to that small sliver of the land. Then you make an immediate right past the Hyperion with it's fairly modern exposed architecture and very modern shows - which helps it blend in perfectly with the '20s-'30s "real" deco of ToT.

It all vaguely fits a "Hollywood" theme, but nowhere is there any real attempt to draw it together. They could carve off the entire "backlot" section of Muppets across to the Hyperion and create something with deeper thematic consistency if they had the will - it'd almost by default be more unified than the current theme.
    I can think of a setting that works:

http://silentlocations.files.wordpre...maroon-pan.jpg

• Singing Drinker

So demolish DL's toontown? Or face a public trying to understand why there are two versions of the same "land"?
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by makaiju View Post
    The thing that concerns me about a Monsters Inc. land is not the movie selection - I didn't care for it myself, but I know it's popular enough - but the decision to create an entire land. I have found this trend - CarsLAND, AvatarLAND, etc - a disappointing turn for the Disney theme parks. A large segment of the park dedicated to a single movie or franchise limits the amount of original content (Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, PoTC) that the park will introduce, and the loss of these original stories is incredibly disappointing. But it also limits the number of Disney/Pixar franchises that can be represented within each park, which means that some favorite movies will never be realized.
    +1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So demolish DL's toontown? Or face a public trying to understand why there are two versions of the same "land"?
    I'd like to see Toon Town MOVED to DCA but if that's not practical, I'd rather explore the HOLLYWOOD part of the movie. Half of the movie took place in Toon Town and the other half in live-action Hollywood.

Roger Rabbit is one intellectual property but it encompasses ALL 'toons.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Lazyness and money fuel Disney now....I mean they have a Hollywoodland and cant think of ANY Cool rides or shows?

But Hollywoodland has yet to go under a large scale refurb. There have been a few additions pushing it in the Old Hollywood direction (Tower of Terror and the Red Car Trolley), but other than that there have only been minor changes. I'm absolutely not saying its a strong land right now, just that it can't be written off yet because it was never fully realized. You could of argued the same things about the original Paradise Pier, but it has since been upgraded for the better (though it could definitely still use some work).

I don't think people would be confused with Roger Rabbit in both parks. Toon Town and Maroon Studios come from the same movie, but one exists in the toon world and one exists in the real one. And really, Toon Town is more about the fab five Disney characters than Roger Rabbit. I also think that that land should get a refurb to make it look more like the original Disney shorts, but that's a different story.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by makaiju View Post
    While I agree on some levels I'm continually amazed that people actually still think that Disney will ever build an original attraction again in the US. If you don't want to continuously be upset, you ought to accept that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

While I agree on some levels I'm continually amazed that people actually still think that Disney will ever build an original attraction again in the US. If you don't want to continuously be upset, you ought to accept that.
    When it comes to these continuous Micechat lines that usually make their rounds:

"Disney will never build another original attraction"
    "Star Wars is the only idea that will work - dump Tomorrowland now!"
    "It's a big corporate world after all, accept it"
    "Walt's Dead, stop wishing for his principles to ever come back"

Well, you know something?

The world seems to go in cycles. We have eras. Eras end. New ones begin. Different "group thinks" come and go with the passing of every year and decade. And nothing stays the same forever.

So ... why don't we all do ourselves a little favor ... and not act like Chicken Little?

I'm not trying to bash .. I'm being colloquial here ..and real at the same time.

I'll always believe Tomorrowland can remain "Tomorrowland".
    Walt's philosophies will make their rounds ... became faint .. and come around again. Just like one big giant circle.
    It's only been about 15 years (not forever!) ... that current management is running in the directions that we find disheartening.

So try to remember everyone - Managements DO change.

So .. keep your hopes up. Don't just throw in the towel. Keep reminding who's ever the current people in charge - That there are better ways to do things. Whatever you do for a living, who ever you talk to - keep talking about how standards can be better.

Who wants to live in a world that is constant 'Compromise'???

Don't you all just get to a point where you get tired of being told "just accept the new lower standard" till you get to a point you want to do something about it?

Talking about these things is a start. Create a blog. Write to a Newspaper Journalist, and get them to strike up a new poll, like what Sarah Tully at the OC Register occasionally does. I'm ready to ask her myself about creating a poll on a couple subjects.

For me, for every "just accept it" - "it's the way of the world" line I hear in future discussions ... well ...pardon me while I turn off the Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy mantra ...

as I'm more for holding the world to higher standards.

I always will.

And that includes keeping Tomorrowland .. as Tomorrowland. Discussing Walt's better philosophies. And not be a corporate yes man.

I wish everyone else here would do the same.

I'm not singling out anyone here ... just a general feel I get from some of these discussions.

I truly would like to see people maintain some level of optimism.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-15-2013 at 04:44 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Not on the Jedi Council

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Sorry, always a huge supporter of Cars Land, can't stand Monsters. Just because the area isn't vintage Hollywood now doesn't justify preventing the entire land from ever reaching its potential. The exact same dollars could be spent on another property, this idea that it's either monstropolis or a dead empty corner is just asinine.
    Well, we've been calling the place Disney Pixar Adventure for years on MC anyway. And yeah, I agree. I thought the second movie was painfully bad, and do not enjoy Monsters attractions. I've been insulted by the rides and attractions on both coasts, so I don't go anywhere near them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast