Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disneyland AP

Sad Am I the only one concerned about Monstropolis?

So I'm new, so sorry if this rumor has been dubunked (I hope) or discussed to death, but I'm seeing these rumors online about DCA expanding Monsters to the entire backlot area. This shocked me cause I always assumed after DCA got redone they would remove them completely and do something in theme with the period/Ca theme. Everything they did to redo DCA I love, and fits the Cali theme, but how will they justify this if it's true and can anyone see this actually making sense or attracting guest more than a classic film ride? I'm just really thrown cause I've supported every choice until now.

• Minion

Re: Am I the only one concerned about Monstropolis?

No you are not alone. If you look at past threads on this topic, many posters disdain Monstropolis in Hollywoodland.

• MaliBOOMer

I'm with you. The anchor attraction, the door coaster sounds like it will be pretty lame. The theme is bad, which detracts from the ride. So for it to be exciting then it would have to be pretty thrilling, like that of Silver Bullet at Knott's or Batman at Magic Mountain. However the theme again gets in the way, it's themed after monster inc. so it will most likely be very tame.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• The doctor is in

I'm not a huge fan of this whole idea. I think it's just another pawn in Disney's game to capitalize on every movie franchise that brought on a sequel.
    The main thing for me is theme. I don't see how they can make a Monsters, Inc. themed land with the original characters and sets but then integrate Monsters University which has different characters and took place like 10-20 years before Monsters, Inc. It makes no sense. They will have to pick one of the movies to focus on and that defeats the purpose.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

This is great news! They will be putting in Laugh Factory where Muppets is & going to re-imagine the existing Monster's Inc. ride. The new "door coaster" ride will be an extreme e-ticket attraction, like Radiator Springs Racers!

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    This is great news! They will be putting in Laugh Factory where Muppets is & going to re-imagine the existing Monster's Inc. ride. The new "door coaster" ride will be an extreme e-ticket attraction, like Radiator Springs Racers!
    Radiator Springs Racers is a highly detailed immersive attraction that I thoroughly enjoy. However that being said it is far from extreme.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Senior Minion

I hate this idea. I completely agree with all of the OP's concerns. If they put that money into completely realizing the vintage Hollywood feel for the area it could become an incredible land. This would leave it as two lands that will always feel very limited and incomplete. Plus, the lands themselves should support the overall theme of the park. I don't mind them taking some liberties with individual attractions, but they shouldn't do that on such a large scale.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Disneyland AP

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post

well ok, but how does that fit the park's theme? That's my issue.

• Sock Puppet

I couldn't be more excited to see the worst looking and themed land in the entire resort transformed into something incredibly themed and detailed with a much needed new dark coaster for the resort.
    My understanding is that the show scenes will be RSR quality and the ride will have a definite thrill aspect. Getting the Monsters Inc. facade re-imagined will be a huge bonus plus I would imagine some upgrades to the dark ride would occur as well. We will have to wait and see how Imagineers tie in the theme, but no matter what the disdain is on this site, the general public will line up in droves to visit this and DCA will continue its rise in attendance.

• film975

I seem to be on opposite sides of these MiceChat issues lately. I really don't like the idea of turning Tomorrowland into a Star Wars land. But I do like Monstropolis possibly coming to Hollywood Land. That whole area around the Monsters, Inc. ride is sorely lacking. It could use another E-ticket attraction there too.

• Disneyland AP

I could see it coming in at a Disney park, just not one with a Cali theme. Monsters is such a weak franchise and so bizarre to bring into DCA's theme.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    I could see it coming in at a Disney park, just not one with a Cali theme. Monsters is such a weak franchise and so bizarre to bring into DCA's theme.
    The ride was initially thought up for Pixar Place in DHS. The clowns over there turned it down and claimed "money issues". I guess those money issues will end once they greenlight Star Wars land over there.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

The Monsters Inc door coaster has been rumored into the empty soundstage directly next to TSM in DHS since like 2006. Seems like the biggest never built ride if the current century.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Disney's attempts at recreating Hollywood is a joke. Most of the DCA guests are locals. Most are familiar with the real Hollywood. The real Hollywood is a dump. To me the Hollywood in DCA feels fake because it is fake. I've grown up knowing Hollywood as a gross and seedy part of LA and although I've seen pictures of its glory days I never witnessed this to be the case.

I'd say develop Monstropolis. It's not like there is any real immersion in Hollywoodland anyways for them to have to develop the Monsters inc area with any more "realism".

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Disney's attempts at recreating Hollywood is a joke. Most of the DCA guests are locals. Most are familiar with the real Hollywood. The real Hollywood is a dump. To me the Hollywood in DCA feels fake because it is fake. I've grown up knowing Hollywood as a gross and seedy part of LA and although I've seen pictures of its glory days I never witnessed this to be the case.

I'd say develop Monstropolis. It's not like there is any real immersion in Hollywoodland anyways for them to have to develop the Monsters inc area with any more "realism".
    Well, Hollywoodland is not really an attempt at recreating modern day Hollywood, but the golden age of the 1930s. So unless you're about 90 years old, its unlikely that you're quite familiar with it. And its not supposed to be a re-creation, but an idealization. That being said, the theme has never been fully realized, so its hard to judge on whether or not it would be effective. Personally, I think the golden age of Hollywood is a strong enough source material to provide something really immersive and original for the backlot.

Also, as to my concerns with Monstropolis in general - isn't it really just a modern city with monsters instead of humans? Doesn't sound too interesting to me.
    Last edited by thedustycoyote; 10-12-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast