Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3rd Gate -- not for kiddies, too scary

Just thinking out loud here...

Is it possible to have a 3rd gate where plenty of theme attractions are geared toward PG-13, perhaps some attractions even 'R' rated? Are there any E-ticket level rides like this in any theme park in the United States? I don't think so. "Marvel theme", water parks, adventurelands -- I don't know, it all seems so banal, so ordinary. I'd like something cutting edge, something "dangerous" without being dangerous. Also, there would need to be some diversity. It can't be a "haunted park" only.

1) dark ride with a theme like 1982's "The Thing", or "Alien"?
    2) a terrifying insane asylum ride? In this "E-ticket ride", you go through various levels of this hospital Hell.
    3) an R rated "surviving the wilderness" ride -- jungles, arctic, aggressive animals, whatever.
    4)some other "cutting edge" theme rides? -- they don't have to be aliens or monsters, or horror, but "mature".

Advantages:
    -uniqueness. No theme parks have this so the word of mouth and excitement nationwide would be enormous.

Disadvantages:
    -Age restrictions. How would they work?
    -Not quite "fun for the whole family".

More advantages/disadvantages? How could this work? Is this possible? Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Goatboy; 10-11-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Re: 3rd Gate -- not for kiddies, too scary

Well, my thinking is, that when Walt made Disneyland, he wanted it to be a place that families could enjoy together. I think it would be very "undisney" to make a disney park like that.

I admit it'd be easier under a Knotts Berry Farm banner, but it'd be lacking in "E-ticketness".

I can see where this is headed... when I hear something is R rated, I think of sex. Sex is not Disney
    "Who's she?!?"
    "Oh her? Oh, that's Wendy!"
    "A girl?!"
    "What's she doing here?!"
    "..and in her nightdress too!"
    "...We were only trying to drown her..that's all."

Quote Originally Posted by SultrySiren View Post
    I can see where this is headed... when I hear something is R rated, I think of sex. Sex is not Disney
    Who mentioned sex? Don't jump to conclusions.

Absolutely no sex. Thrills only.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jacs1234 View Post
    Well, my thinking is, that when Walt made Disneyland, he wanted it to be a place that families could enjoy together. I think it would be very "undisney" to make a disney park like that.
    This. Un-Disney in content and business approach. Thrill products based on horror, survival, terror, attacks by monsters, violence from insane people, etc., are not part of Disney's overall "brand identity." While not a niche market, horror/thrills is much more narrowly defined in demographic terms than the broad scope of Disney's family-friendly, mass-market M.O.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Vegas is 5 hours away.......Catalina a tad closer in the other direction.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• keh!

Knott's and Universal get pretty rated R for Halloween. If you crave gory attractions, you can always visit those parks during now. I would not care to see that coming from Disney.

•   
    • Minion

I agree, I think it would go against Disney's brand and ethos. There are plenty of rides with light horror themes at Disney like the Tower of Terror, but I think if it pushed that envelope further it wouldn't be in line with what the parks are supposed to be about.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Interesting idea but I don't see Disney doing anything like this. Any third gate is likely to be based around extending people's stay who already come to Anaheim rather than trying to appeal to a new demographic.

These days I think any new gates will try to appeal to a family audience and follow a 'Magic Kingdom' path like Disneysea does rather than go down the EPCOT route of trying to be something for a new audience.

Btw I'm not saying your idea or the above are bad things just my take on the current state of the WDC

• Hooterville, USA

This.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Interesting idea but I don't see Disney doing anything like this. Any third gate is likely to be based around extending people's stay who already come to Anaheim rather than trying to appeal to a new demographic.

These days I think any new gates will try to appeal to a family audience and follow a 'Magic Kingdom' path like Disneysea does rather than go down the EPCOT route of trying to be something for a new audience.

Btw I'm not saying your idea or the above are bad things just my take on the current state of the WDC

Thank you,

I agree that it's unlikely that these rides would see the light of day in a Disney Park -- it's just in line Disney's reputation and business model. Maybe a Universal Studios forum would have been more appropriate, although frankly anything other than a Disneypark won't be of "E-ticket" caliber.

Individual rides in disney parks are too un disney, but an entire park would just be ridiculous. Lets pretend Walt would have no issues with a grown up park. Even then, how to you expect to market an adults only theme park? Almost everybody with enough money to afford a stay at Disneyland property has kids, which wouldn't be allowed inside. Logistically, how do you make a profit? You're eliminating ticket sales from the demographic that buys the most tickets. Disney co have been penny pinching for a while now, and I don't see them opening another park until the finances guarantee a profit (which is why there's no 5th gate in WDW right now)

Quote Originally Posted by ursaguy View Post
    Individual rides in disney parks are too un disney, but an entire park would just be ridiculous. Lets pretend Walt would have no issues with a grown up park. Even then, how to you expect to market an adults only theme park? Almost everybody with enough money to afford a stay at Disneyland property has kids, which wouldn't be allowed inside. Logistically, how do you make a profit? You're eliminating ticket sales from the demographic that buys the most tickets. Disney co have been penny pinching for a while now, and I don't see them opening another park until the finances guarantee a profit (which is why there's no 5th gate in WDW right now)

I find it hard to believe that there's not enough market for a few R rated "E-ticket" rides in some theme park somewhere in the United States. I agree that Disney would be highly unlikely to take upon itself the task of creating it.

But just imagine the hype: "Worlds only R rated scary ride(s)". Everybody would be talking about it, from high schools to the doctor's office. Hell, make it a "land" within a theme park -- a PG-13 and above land or something.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    I find it hard to believe that there's not enough market for a few R rated "E-ticket" rides in some theme park somewhere in the United States. I agree that Disney would be highly unlikely to take upon itself the task of creating it.

But just imagine the hype: "Worlds only R rated scary ride(s)". Everybody would be talking about it, from high schools to the doctor's office. Hell, make it a "land" within a theme park -- a PG-13 and above land or something.
    I think the issue is who would fund the hundreds of millions of dollars required to design, build and maintain a theme park land that would exclude a good percentage of its customer base.

Designed and built right, the hype could indeed be awesome. But the economics of a theme park venue (customers must repeatedly travel to it, it cannot be duplicated and mass distributed like a video) would seem prohibitive.

Perhaps a venue that could be semi duplicated-and-distributed, like some advanced form of movie theater with motion FX, would be doable?

Imagine a PG-13 theater experience in terror that combines Kubrick-level storytelling, Cameron-level visual tech, high frame rate non-glasses 3D, physical motion FX and 2nd-gen interactive tactile technology.

Just make sure the seats are washable.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast