View Poll Results: Do you still ride POTC?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I still ride it, and love it!

55 63.95%
  • I still ride it, but not without some heartache.

30 34.88%
  • I cannot tolerate what they've done, skip it.

1 1.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirates

• Artistic integrity

Re: Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Of course, since they have apparently green lit a couple more POTC movies, .
    Try - 1.

It's been pushed back a year.

And when that's done ... Bruckheimer's relationship with Disney is done.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Singing Drinker

I don't like the POTC(M) additions. I felt they were clumsily tacked on in the first place and time's not done anything other than make them stand out glaringly. Kinda like the Disney character addins for Small World, except the Stitch on the surfboard doesn't spend the entire time you're around it having every character expound upon "Oh, what be that Experiment? Where be that Stitch that is in full plain view? I be lookin' to synergize says I!"

I still ride on it. Honestly the reaction's changed. It's gone from a comforting experience to a ride that usually sparks an argument over exactly what point everyone in my group stopped liking the movies.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Disneyland Dreamer

every night they should swap out all but 1 jack AA. They should kill the mist waterfall too. Beyond that... it should be pretty good.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Try - 1.

It's been pushed back a year.

And when that's done ... Bruckheimer's relationship with Disney is done.
    My source mentioned like 3 more! How accurate that is, I have NO IDEA. Unless a non-Disney studio will do more, the way a different studio picked up the Narnia films. Personally, I hope you're right. I think there have been more than are necessary.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Still the most amazing ride ever...i just try to ignore all the crap they added and marvel at the small city

I mean, obviously the changes don't ruin Pirates. It's a lot of cosmetic and audio b.s. when you get down to it...sort of. Yes, everyone is talking about Jack Sparrow. Yes, his animatronics don't fit in perfectly with the other characters. Yes, the fact that there's Hans Zimmer music playing in there is awful. But it's still Pirates at its core.

If there's one scene I can hardly stand to look at anymore, it's the pooped pirate/chase scene. Everything is so horrendously altered there. Between the pirate/wench turntables and the crap added in their hands, Jack in the barrel and pooped pirate talking about him nonstop. I have to just focus on cat guy and ignore that part.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    My source mentioned like 3 more! How accurate that is, I have NO IDEA.
    Nah. 1

End of an Era: Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer to Part Ways | Variety
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I don't like the POTC(M) additions. I felt they were clumsily tacked on in the first place and time's not done anything other than make them stand out glaringly. Kinda like the Disney character addins for Small World, except the Stitch on the surfboard doesn't spend the entire time you're around it having every character expound upon "Oh, what be that Experiment? Where be that Stitch that is in full plain view? I be lookin' to synergize says I!"

I still ride on it. Honestly the reaction's changed. It's gone from a comforting experience to a ride that usually sparks an argument over exactly what point everyone in my group stopped liking the movies.
    lol! Yes, the movies have changed how people react to the ride now. Even when the movies were out but the ride was still untouched by the movie, Jack Sparrow came up anyway. People in the boats were always asking, "where is Jack Sparrow?" lol, so, either way I guess you can't get away from it anymore. I just hope they never change the name of the ride to Jack Sparrow of the Caribbean. Excuse me, Captain Jack Sparrow of the Caribbean.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Just this guy......

It's still a classic even if "Jack Sparrow" is in the attraction.

I think I'll always love the ride, but the thing about the new additions like jack and the new battle scene, is that it looks so real that everything else around it looks so much faker than it already was even before the new additions.
    "Who's she?!?"
    "Oh her? Oh, that's Wendy!"
    "A girl?!"
    "What's she doing here?!"
    "..and in her nightdress too!"
    "...We were only trying to drown her..that's all."

• Donald's #1 Fan

It's difficult. It was "PIRATES" of the Caribbean, not "JACK SPARROW'S" Pirates of the Caribbean. The animatronics are really cool but they don't fit with the rest of the scenery - they are just too detailed, too real, and too grounded on a movie franchise. Before, every pirate was somewhat anonymous - a prop to the storytelling techniques. Now it seems the dialogue is too focused on Jack this, Jack that - when it was all about "the" pirates before. Not focusing on a single person helped tame the ride, IMHO - you didn't feel it was a personal thing, it was "those" pirates. Now it's "Jack".

• Artistic integrity

I'm one who believes attractions with rich backstories are far better to ones that tell a full story with prominent characters (DCA's Little Mermaid Ride).

I think it goes over some people's heads ... how our lower conscious levels become more stimulated when WE can make ourselves the CHARACTER (create our own little adventure in our imagination) .. in attractions that are more about backstories ... like the original PotC and HM.

Once Jack Sparrow became the center of attention ... that took the attention away from myself making my own adventure in this huge ride. And more of a passive journey.

And maybe one day ... a new regime/management will realize - Hey, wait a minute ... It's gone over our heads how interactive and more personal the attractions are to guests, if we don't inundate them with too much FRONT story! We need to focus on back story.

Uhhhh ............ DUH!
    MY SIGNATURE:

At least we can be glad the Haunted Mansion movie didn't turn into a huge franchise. Although I'm a much bigger fan of Eddie Murphy than I am of Johnny Depp.

• Hooterville, USA

I try and focus on parts of the ride that no one looks at. It makes me appreciate the ride even more!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Your Nemesis

I actually really like the Captain Barbossa and I don't mind the first two Jacks and Davy Jones' voice at the very end. But the rest of the film tie-ins are just unnecessary.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast