View Poll Results: Do you still ride POTC?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I still ride it, and love it!

55 63.95%
  • I still ride it, but not without some heartache.

30 34.88%
  • I cannot tolerate what they've done, skip it.

1 1.16%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pirates

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Pirates

I agree about disliking Blackbeard's cameos in the ride. I also dislike him in the movies. Married to a sailor, their "big bad" in legends will always be Davy Jones. Blackbeard was just some mortal pirate. Davy Jones is a mythological entity, a god akin to Neptune/Posidon.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

I still love going on Pirates. Last time I was there I got on it 3 times. I'm with you Wildenight I don't care for Blackbeard's cameo either but I do like Davey Jones.

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm indifferent to the whole mist screen thing. I guess it's a cool effect, but I never did see Pirates 4, so I don't get why there is a voice in the cavern that says "dead men tell no tales", and then Blackbeard pops up and contridicts that and says "Ah, but they do tell tales." I'm guessing that if I had seen Pirates 4 then that would make sense.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I'm indifferent to the whole mist screen thing. I guess it's a cool effect, but I never did see Pirates 4, so I don't get why there is a voice in the cavern that says "dead men tell no tales", and then Blackbeard pops up and contridicts that and says "Ah, but they do tell tales." I'm guessing that if I had seen Pirates 4 then that would make sense.
    Not really, Davy Jones used to say the exact same line before they added Blackbeard, so you're not missing anything. I suppose they were trying to make some kind of point about the pirates who are dead-but-not-really-dead who sold their souls to Davy and work on his ship or something, but it makes even less sense now that Blackbeard says it. I've always hated that line, it's almost like they were purposefully trying to "stick it" to the original creators of Pirates and its longtime fans by contradicting one of its most famous taglines.

ETA: Of course you could always look at it from a more figurative perspective, whereas all the "dead men" seen in the previous cavern scenes are still telling a story even though they're dead, and Davy/Blackbeard are pointing that out. But I'm not sure if that was the original intent.
    Last edited by Diznygrl; 10-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.

"Blackbeard" (or the pirate Captain with a black beard) is supposed to be commanding the ship in the bombardment scene. I feel like that's one alteration a lot of people don't mention. Usually it's Jack or the nonsensical politically correct neutering. The original Captain is totally superior to Barbosa. It doesn't even really look like Geoffrey Rush.

I can only vouch for the WDW version of the ride, but I don't mind it, and even like it in some parts. The mist effect is really cool visually, the hiding Jack is a nice touch, and the battle scene is something I don't have memory of pre-Pirates movies. I don't hate Jack in the treasure room or anything, more of a "kind of there but I'm not sure i care" effect. Even though this is apparently the inferior version, I still love it.

I'm hoping the disappearance of Blackbeard from the mist with stay, and his voice will go also. Davy Jones is ok. It's a shame they lost the woman chasing the man, even though at the beginning he was chasing HER. But heaven forbid, someone was offended. That is what happened in those days....If we are not careful, we will offend ourselves out of no pirates at all.

• Minion

It will always be a favorite of mine. I wish they avoided changing the premise that "dead men tell no tales" and that the end of the ride still was pirates trying but failing to get treasure out. Otherwise I mostly enjoy even the additions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123