View Poll Results: Do you still ride POTC?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I still ride it, and love it!

55 63.95%
  • I still ride it, but not without some heartache.

30 34.88%
  • I cannot tolerate what they've done, skip it.

1 1.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirates

Pirates

When I fantasize about my next Disneyland trip, I think about all of the things I want to do and see, and I feel excited and long for the day I can be there to enjoy them all. Unfortunately, when I think about Pirates, instead of excitement I just cringe. "where be Jack" grates on my nerves so much, I think I may actually not ride it this trip. I probably will, but with each time I go on that ride and see what they've done to it, my heart breaks a little more.

So who still rides it even though they don't like all of the Jack Sparrow overload, and are there any people out there who find it so bothersome they actually can't bring themselves to ride it anymore?
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Artistic integrity

Re: Pirates

I try to ignore Jack. Being Disney's best ever attraction to this day .... I refuse to let a franchise ruin it for me .. though it's tough.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I don't mind the Captain Barbossa, and the first two Jacks, and I do like the movie soundtrack in the battle scene, BUT I do NOT like the last Jack, as you go up the lift hill. The Previous pirates attempting to take loot out, and turning into skeletons was much more effective. I also am not fond of Blackbeard and Davy Jones "waterfall" telling us that dead men DO tell tales, and I don't like Blackbeard and Davy Jones talking to us on the exit lift hill,

I also STILL do not like that the pirates are not chasing "their wenches", after the auction scene. Those two scene fit together MUCH BETTER, before that change in the late '90's. I believe the Rooster was even chasing the chickens, in that scene. I would like to see them bring back that old world of motion scene, where the horse is trying to take an apple. I did like that addition, and now it is so empty in that space. Oh, and that pirates sitting on those two unstable stacked barrels - put that BACK in the last scene before the lift hill

• Minion

I ignore the movie additions and just look at the classic stuff.

I went on it a couple times back in April. I did not feel overwhelmed by the movie additions. I will always ride it when I am there.

I find that if I haven't been on the ride in a few months or longer that I automatically focus on the classic stuff I remember as a kid. But on subsequent rides the new stuff gets more noticeable and slightly grating since I have zero interest in seeing the movies.

I think a big reason why it's annoying and noticeable is that the Depp animatronic looks too real whereas the classic characters are stylized and have faces out of the funny papers. That was likely out of necessity back then since the tech was in its early days, but that's what gives it its charm.

• Minion

Of course I still ride it, but the Jack/movie additions have been increasingly grating my nerves. It wouldn't be so bad if there was just ONE Jack, and if you didn't hear "Cap'n Jack Sparrow!" an average of 10 times during a ride through.

• MaliBOOMer

If they didn't yell his name every 5 seconds it wouldn't be so bad.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Artistic integrity

I keep saying to myself - Time moves on .. managements move on. Attitudes move on ... and what was once the big trendy thing to do at one time, is not so great anymore .. and things have a way of being restored to their prior "great and classic" status.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• formerly very helpful

I'm a big proponent of original rides without movie tie ins, but this is a case where it's easy enough to ignore the additions. Since the biggest problems I have with it don't feature the Jack Sparrow animatronics, I'm always hoping that there may be some restoration of at least some of the classic ness. Of course, since they have apparently green lit a couple more POTC movies, I don't think it will happen any time soon.

• Former Churro Jockey

I actually like it. I thought they were pretty conservative in the places they add Jack to the ride (you don't see or hear about him at all until you are already halfway through the ride), and then he's only in there three times. I think it tightens up the storyline a little bit, and also connects the first part (with the skeletons, which we now know are from the cursed tresure) to the second part (with pirates ransacking the town looking for the treasure that they presumably don't know is cursed).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I don't mind it so much. I actually like the Barbosa projection on the mist and the music in the boat battle scene. I don't mind the first two appearances of Jack Sparrow. The only part that really bugs me is at the end; I do wish they would revert that to the original.

• "What? What?"

POTC Additionas

The Good: The first Jack sparrow hiding behind the dress forms. (Not obvious, good use of dead space, and fitting to the character). Barbossa is awesome although it doesn't look like him. Projected waterfall is cool. Ship battle soundtrack.

The Bad: More then 1 jack sparrow. References "Jack Sparrow" at all in dialog. Frequency of characters appearing in the waterfall. You see both cycle at least twice each before you get to the waterfall.

The Ugly: The last Jack Sparrow! Repeating dialog on the lift. Blackbeard in the water fall (it at least makes sense to see a mythical Davy Jones in the water, but blackbeard was just guy). Hearing the name on the ride so many times. Ugh!

The Needed: I went on POTC at Disneyworld last month and I love the mermaid addition. There is too many bubbles that kinda of throw off the illusion but hearing the song is very haunting and would be a great addition going through the caves at the beginning.

•   
    • Minion

I don't like the additions of the movie but they don't ruin my enjoyment of the attraction. The Disneyland version of POTC to me is one of the most unique experiences I have ever been on. It's by far my favorite attraction anywhere. Tying with it is the HM at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    If they didn't yell his name every 5 seconds it wouldn't be so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    I don't mind it so much. I actually like the Barbosa projection on the mist and the music in the boat battle scene. I don't mind the first two appearances of Jack Sparrow. The only part that really bugs me is at the end; I do wish they would revert that to the original.
    I think if they said his name less and changed the end back, I would be satisfied. I thought it was pretty cool when I heard they were adding a Jack Sparrow animatronic, I was only upset when I saw there was more than one, and they focused on him too much.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast