Sad Weekend Thrill Dissolved

Hoping to get a trip report for my 2 1/2 days there 10th-12th. But until then, I just have to mention a real bummer that occurred not once, not twice, but three times.
    I went with a friend who has never been to Disneyland at Halloween time. And keep in mind Space Mountain is his favorite ride. Big Thunder Mountain his 2nd favorite.

Bad enough BTM is still down, he could live with that.
    Friday: SM broke down 2 of the 2 times we were in line during the day. Then we went to ride it a 3rd time during The Halloween party & it was broke down for at least 40 minutes if not more before we got to ride it again. Then it broke down AGAIN while we were next in line to get on. So 4 out of 4. Yeah, loads of fun.

Saturday: Spent a lot of time at DCA, Screamin' was down, all day. We ran over to try & ride SM, guess what, it had been down for about 2 hours, so we were told.

To put salt on the wound, we had a lovely dinner at Carthay, but would not be staying long enough to even use our World Of Color passes. Mentioned to the waitress what happened with the rides & asked if we could just get FP for SM instead. After asking her lead, we were directed to Guest Relations.

Guest Relations said that the WOC passes were a courtesy for eating at Carthay (hmmmm, is that not the reason some people go there for dinner, or any of the dining packages they offer?) Anyways, SM was now at a 120 minute wait & because it was the holiday lay over, they could not provide us with a fast pass for it.

Maybe I was expecting too much? Guess I just felt like they had the "oh well attitude" since WOC passes are considered a courtesy (remind me to never buy packages for anything since since it's just a "courtesy") Somehow I just didn't think that 2 FP for 1 ride was a whole lot to ask considering everywhere we went there seemed to be some "technical difficulty" as the reason for every issue that came up (Fri they couldn't get the thingy they take your pic w/ for the multi day tix to work for him, then Sat, it said the 2day park hopper was invalid due to already used even though it had only been used at 1 park 1 day & the list goes on)
    We pretty much left after that instead of staying a couple more hours. We had been spending money like crazy the whole time. So it literally was Disney's loss on that one. Guess I'm just bummed at seeing the disappointment on his inner 5yr old face & my disappointment at their lack of providing Disney Magic.
    A bad day at Disneyland is better than a good day at work. But who ever heard of a bad day at Disneyland?
    https://twitter.com/Flutterfly_74
    http://pinterest.com/flutterfly74/
    http://flutterfly74.tumblr.com/

Re: Weekend Thrill Dissolved

As long as you spent money while you were there.......Iger is happy.

• Done with MC.

I understand your frustration. At some point it just seems like Disney is telling us to "Take it or leave it".
    If more attention was given to maintenance, all guests experience would be enriched. But this takes a commitment of both heart and money.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I understand your frustration. At some point it just seems like Disney is telling us to "Take it or leave it".
    If more attention was given to maintenance, all guests experience would be enriched. But this takes a commitment of both heart and money.
    It's called the Eisner Business Model. Still going strong.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

While Disney should be ashamed of themselves for not providing better maintenance for one of their "Mt." rides (especially when another "Mt" is down) I can understand why they might not wish to give you FP tickets for your inconvenience:

You see, I am betting that quite a few people besides your party were put out by the constant SM issues......if they were to give out FP's to everyone who suffered, the FP line could easily be as long as the Stand-by.

Besides, the "gift" of an FP is distributed by Disney at no cost to themselves.........everyone in line, whether it be on Standby or the FP return queue, is forcibly sacrificing their own time in order for Disney to appear magnanimous to the squeaky wheel.

Next time ask for something that will actually cost Disney and not the other guests...a pin, churro or Dole Whip perhaps
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I totally understand your frustration. I've never been on the halloween version of SM, and every time ive either FP it or been waiting in line for it the last few weeks, its broken down for at least a few hours. It's so frustrating.
    "Who's she?!?"
    "Oh her? Oh, that's Wendy!"
    "A girl?!"
    "What's she doing here?!"
    "..and in her nightdress too!"
    "...We were only trying to drown her..that's all."

• Under that tree again!

It was a bummer when not one but two and sometimes 3 coasters(high capcity attractions) were all down at the same time.

While FP to make up for attraction closures can be handed out they do often have exclusions. In Halloween Season they are not good for Space since its overlay gives it a high demand. Should of asked for one to Indy.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Foolish Mortal

Thats a bummer! I know almost exactly how you feel, here is my thread on my most recent visit....

Three consecutive Walk-offs today. Matterhorn, HM and Splash Mtn :o/

It's a normal occurrence for Space Mountain to be down these days.

I want to agree about maintenance. Characters are removed from rides and don't return for a LONG time. See: the tiger on Jungle Cruise, the two pirates from the right side of the armory in Pirates, the deaf guy from Haunted Mansion (who I think was missing since the Mansion came back in January).

Just before Haunted Mansion went down for Holiday, I experienced something new: broken ballroom dancer turntables. They had been very loud for weeks (maybe they still are?) leading up to an astonishing sight of frozen dancing ghosts.

Splash Mountain has been a wreck lately. The ending boat scene is still broken. The boat and many of the characters are stationary. The lights inside are very low. Characters are broken, audio is missing. It's like how Magic Kingdom's was for what seemed like years.

Indiana Jones had broken effects even after the lengthy refurb last year.

I don't know what I'm getting at. Maintenance at Disneyland seems to kinda stink.

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    It's a normal occurrence for Space Mountain to be down these days.

I want to agree about maintenance. Characters are removed from rides and don't return for a LONG time. See: the tiger on Jungle Cruise, the two pirates from the right side of the armory in Pirates, the deaf guy from Haunted Mansion (who I think was missing since the Mansion came back in January).

Just before Haunted Mansion went down for Holiday, I experienced something new: broken ballroom dancer turntables. They had been very loud for weeks (maybe they still are?) leading up to an astonishing sight of frozen dancing ghosts.

Splash Mountain has been a wreck lately. The ending boat scene is still broken. The boat and many of the characters are stationary. The lights inside are very low. Characters are broken, audio is missing. It's like how Magic Kingdom's was for what seemed like years.

Indiana Jones had broken effects even after the lengthy refurb last year.

I don't know what I'm getting at. Maintenance at Disneyland seems to kinda stink.
    This! And that last part made me laugh so hard, thank you!