• Senior Minion

Lightbulb What Would You Do Instead of Monstropolis?

It's clear that many of us don't care for the proposal to turn the backlot into Monstropolis. So my question is, what would you propose to go into that area instead? I ask you to answer this from the perspective of an Imagineer. By this I mean that you're making this proposal to management so you have to be able to argue that your choice is equally or more marketable then the Monster's Inc. concept in the eyes of management. In other words, you might as well not bother proposing anything original or based on a relatively little known intellectual property.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Re: What Would You Do Instead of Monstropolis?

Oh, darnit. I didn't read your whole post about not using an unknown property! But I'd already typed this, so here goes...

In the northeast corner where Monsters Inc. and the unused food court is...

How about a Mystic Manor type ride system, but themed to an old Victorian mansion (like the ones that used to be on Bunker Hill in downtown LA) that was owned by an eccentric collector? It would sort of be a combination of the Museum of the Weird and a version of the famous Winchester Mystery House up in NorCal, layered with a supernatural tale of mysterious collectibles and the weird places they've come from.

Plus a nearby shop selling knockoffs of the weird stuff in the ride.

In the northwest corner where MuppetVision and Stage 17 is....

How about a version of Rock N' Roller Coaster but themed to getting a big batch of bootleg gin in a souped up Duesenberg limo to a swinging Hollywood Hills cocktail party circa 1930? A nearby buffeteria restaurant where Hollywood Backlot Stage is now would be themed to a 1930's Hollywood downtown cafeteria, when those types of places were glamorous and faux swanky.

• Senior Minion

So here are a few answers to my own question...

1. An attraction based on Mickey and the gang... I feel like Hollywoodland would make the perfect home for Disney's first e-ticket dark ride staring Mickey and friends. Do something with a classic Hollywood feel, locale and storyline. Also fits a lot of the new direction of DCA and its blend of romanticized California and classic Disney. The characters fit the era and conjure the exact type of nostalgic feel that the land needs. Not only are they highly marketable already, but an attraction would help keep the characters continuously relevant to future audiences and improve overall merchandise sales.

2. An attraction based on Captain America... An original storyline based on Captain America during the 40's. Cap had enemies on the Japanese side of the war and some of the action in those stories actually happened in California. Some of these stories could make the basis for an attraction that would fit the vintage Hollywood feel perfectly. One of the advantages of Cap is that he's a classic character who fits the era, is very popular, creates a sense of patriotism and is a very good person, a true hero. All this makes him fit the Disney mold quite well. Cap will be staring in his own movie soon, likely more, and of course will be featured in all future Avengers films, so the marketing and merchandise opportunities are obviously massive.

3. An Attraction based on Mary Poppins... This is a little lower on my list because I'd prefer to see it a a London area. But Mary Poppins could definitely work as a celebration of Disney's achievements in film during Hollywood's golden age. This angle could also be played up with the coming of Saving Mr. Banks since it's a behind the scenes type story it could work quite well. Obviously it's one of Disney's most beloved properties, an attraction could certainly help keep it continuously in mind.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Oh, darnit. I didn't read your whole post about not using an unknown property! But I'd already typed this, so here goes...

In the northeast corner where Monsters Inc. and the unused food court is...

How about a Mystic Manor type ride system, but themed to an old Victorian mansion (like the ones that used to be on Bunker Hill in downtown LA) that was owned by an eccentric collector? It would sort of be a combination of the Museum of the Weird and a version of the famous Winchester Mystery House up in NorCal, layered with a supernatural tale of mysterious collectibles and the weird places they've come from.

Plus a nearby shop selling knockoffs of the weird stuff in the ride.

In the northwest corner where MuppetVision and Stage 17 is....

How about a version of Rock N' Roller Coaster but themed to getting a big batch of bootleg gin in a souped up Duesenberg limo to a swinging Hollywood Hills cocktail party circa 1930? A nearby buffeteria restaurant where Hollywood Backlot Stage is now would be themed to a 1930's Hollywood downtown cafeteria, when those types of places were glamorous and faux swanky.
    Cool ideas, but unfortunately unlikely to actually get built.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Here are a couple of my ideas

Metroville- the very 40's/50's feel of the city in the incredibles would fit much better in the area as far as films (specifically Pixar films) go. I'd include an attraction revolving around defending the city from omnidroids and an incredibles dark ride where monsters inc is. There would also be a restaurant and a store themed to Edna Modes House, where merch can be bought ( obviously) as well as a place where kids can design their own super suit

Monster film themed area- not sure about this one, but it would kind of compliment TOT rather nicely. Themed to a film studio that specializes in horror films, this area would include an attraction called monster mayhem, where guests go through a series of classic films such as Godzilla night of the living dead and other classics. The area would also include an NBC dark ride (more so focused on halloween town) and an elaborate Frankenweenie meet and greet. The area would also be home to a new night time party inspired by the twilight zone

• -

Well whatever is placed there should keep the CA and Hollywood theme – something that the rumored Monstropolis thing will definitely not do.

Since there are different time periods around the park already (turn-of-the-century pier, 1920’s LA, 1930’s Hollywood), I would make the backlot area a 1980’s Sunset Strip. For the main dining/show experience, they can have hair bands playing at a recreation of the Troubadour or the Whiskey. The main E ticket can be themed to the West Coast Avengers. Right outside could be a dedicated meet and greet for Hawkeye and Iron Man. While there is not enough room for the Great Movie Ride to be built here, maybe a motion simulator version showing clips of all the great movies from the 80’s called the Great 80’s Movie Ride.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nutty about Disney parks

My biggest dream for DCA: a Muppets dark ride. Since Muppetvision's demise seems inevitable at this point, a Muppet dark ride would feel right at home in Hollywood. I was thinking a Mystic Manor type of attraction with the Muppets characters set in the Muppets studio as opposed to an old house. I'm not too big on the Great Muppet Movie Ride but if it came to that I would still ride it.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Disneyland History Lover

I think this could potentially be a two-punch proposal. Retheme ToonTown as a Villains subland to Fantasyland, and install a permanent subland into Hollywood Land featuring Mickey and the gang called Mickey's Studios.

Mickey's Studio's would include a meet and greet for Mickey and friends in his studio, which is themed in the old Hollywood style and littered with elements of Mickey's history and relationship to Walt. The building would utilize the space where the Mad T Party arcade is as well as the backstage area immediately to its north. It would serve not only as a meet and greet, but also as a tribute to the character and his history. Mickey's Studios would also have a trackless dark ride featuring Mickey and friends with an alternating storyline that offers different experiences each time you ride it, similar to Star Tours. This would occur thru dialogue that would be switched up, with audio animatronics that are programmed to the different audio. There would also be elements of the backgrounds that could change to suit each storyline. It could also be made interactive so that the guests have a hand in the outcome of the story. The ride could occupy the space between where Muppetvision currently is as well as the space where the old Millionaire building sits. The performing arts stage that is currently there would remain. The Coca-Cola refreshment stand would be opened and the theme maintained. Since this is supposed to be a realistic approach pitched to management, Monsters, Inc would remain but the facade would be altered to fit the new area.

• Former Churro Jockey

I've suggested this many times before, but I think both parks need a flexible space that can be used for whatever event or movie promotion Disney would like. I still think having a California themed park in the state of California is a dumb idea, but if they're going to do it, then I'd love to see the park have some kind of connection to what is actually happening in the state right now. So for starters, I'd just make it a mini-land called The Backlot, and then have all kinds of different events there such as the Food & Wine Festival, Star Wars Weekends, and more. I'd get rid of the Muppetts in the theater but keep the theater for now. I'd get rid of Monsters Inc and bring over an updated Great Movie Ride which would be the only permanent attraction in The Backlot (and try to design it so that the sets can easily be swapped out as they become outdated). I'd also add the ABC Cafateria from Disney Studios as well, but that can be opened or closed as needed. I would add various events that are tied to what is actually going on in the state at the time.

For example, there might be Food Truck Thursdays or something like that. They can celebrate Chinese New Year with an event there, or Cinco de Mayo, or something like the recent Greek Festival that they had at Disneyland this past summer. I'd also love to see some kind of farmer's market type of event set up there where actual local farmers can come into the park, and sell fruit, homemade bread, homemade candy, etc. They'd still be able to keep the nightly dance parties, AND (maybe most importantly) they'd be able to do Marvel and Star Wars events here that are tied to the upcoming movies. I am not a Marvel or Star Wars fan myself, but my perception of them is that they're always trying to be the first one to find out something new with one of those franchises, and eagerly await new movie trailers, concept art, announcements, etc. Think of how much money Comic-Con brings in to each city that it goes to, and then imagine how much money Disney could make with people buying a full priced one day ticket to DCA just because they have an extended 10-minute preview of the new Star Wars movie showing at the old Muppet theater, along with costume displays, props, etc. from the movie.

Basically I think something like this (and a counterpart at Disneyland) would give Disney something that is specifically designed to appeal to annual passholders, which is a demographic that they generally seem to ignore. This way, every single week that an AP goes to the park (you know who you are) there would be at least one new thing to see over at The Backlot.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disneyland AP

As long as it fits the old Hollywood theme and aesthetic, I'm cool with it. Would love an old school Mickey ride though. Just use the space.