Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: OMG... when did Disneyland became so incredibly expensive?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Kudos on an excellent analysis! To your last point, I suspect that price is unlikely to ever be the issue that finally turns off the majority of Disney's customers. It if happens, it will be because Disney itself, in its manners and methods, redefined the meaning (i.e. the feeling) of the "Disney experience."
    I think you're absolutely right. But this brings in the question of what the "Disney experience" really is. To some extent that is subjective. I know your experience encompasses more than mine because you've been around longer than I have. I'm a kid of the 80's and 90's so those decades are fondest in my mind (but all our minds are biased to our own personal experiences).

BUT, I do somehow feel things are dumbed down quite a bit. Disney seems to be pouring money in some truly impressive rides and theme, but something feels empty and vapid. I can only explain by way of example:

I 100% understand why Disney brought in Starbucks but no one is going to visit DL just so they can get a cup of coffee they can get on any corner in America. For me, Disney coffee has been notoriously awful for a long time (seriously, you can invent animatronics but can brew a decent cup of joe in the 21st Century?!?!). How hard would it have been for DL to create something unique in the new Starbucks spot? Not hard at all. And I am well aware name-brands have been in the park before; I understand that. This seems so lazy not in execution (it looks nice enough), but lazy in regards to ingenuity or originality. How about creating a coffee shop with an original name and theme? Create a story behind it? Oh, and good coffee!

I have other examples but there's just something not there. We have the "ooooo's and aaaah's" still left but not that same heart. It's still very fun, but not as engaging as it used to be.

And I think that's the word I've been looking for all along; engaging.

But the product, even with the minimized engagement, is still a very unique product. It will be a while before Disney becomes un-Disney in the eyes of most consumers. For some, we're already at that point and those individuals would likely be called foamers by other communities. I am not at that point but I most certainly would not begrudge someone that opinion. I'm not arrogant enough in my opinions to do so.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I enjoyed being by the pool and I had a nice time, but I would have rather gone to Disneyland.
    Definitely a sign of a Superior Mom!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    And, who is the person with the Deluxe AP that goes to the park 315 days of the year?

Does he or she have a job? Does he or she have a life? Does he or she even exist?
    Even if a deluxe holder went just once every 10 days they'd still be paying less then the
    first visitors did back in 55'
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Seeker of Fun

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Sediment!! This is what I've been saying all along. And to the other quote, it's those who utilize the park as a private playground who often complain the loudest. It's not a vacation like it is to most of here, it's something to do entertainment at nearly no cost after work or school.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Master of Disaster

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Let's see... People are complaining that the parks are so crowded. We talk about turnstile closures during Christmas and select weekends in the summer. But they should also lower the prices? You don't think that will increase the closure/crowd issues?
    This has never been such a problem in the past and has been handled with finesse when it is encountered. That's how amusement parks are designed to operate. Count people going in, when capacity is reached only allow people in as people leave. Maybe that seems unfair but the early bird gets the worm so I guess if people were serious about going somewhere they knew could reach max capacity, get there early! APers would certainly get the brunt end of that but that could potentially keep them in check. Furthermore, I think it would be nice if there were separate lines for APers and maybe 2 APers could be let in for every 4-6 regular visiting guests. If they knew they had to wait longer to get in on a busy day, it might make the numbers decrease slightly.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Furthermore, I think it would be nice if there were separate lines for APers and maybe 2 APers could be let in for every 4-6 regular visiting guests. If they knew they had to wait longer to get in on a busy day, it might make the numbers decrease slightly.
    I disagree. If every AP'er and every regular paying guest were identical - possibly. But they are not. Some AP'ers use it for a low cost babysitting service, and some like my family can only visit the parks a couple of times every few years. Fortunately we can do this for up to two weeks at a time. The AP is more cost effective than Hoppers. You would punish us every few years just because we chose a less expensive option that allows us to stay a few days longer?

I do not like this idea one bit.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• I Love Disneyland

The DL prices are similar to other vacation getaways and excursions. My recent experiences include: Universal in Orlando for $134 for one day, 2 hour kayak tour of Victoria, BC for $99 per person, 4 hour whale watching trip out of San Francisco for $169 per person. A three day park hopper for $260 is in line with these other activities. And, yes, they are all expensive.

• Donald's #1 Fan

So, Disneyland won in the end.

When I considered food and shows, DL was cheaper by $300, or so. But that wasn't the important thing.

My son would rather watch Michael Jackson than the Beatles. That was it. End of discussion.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I disagree. If every AP'er and every regular paying guest were identical - possibly. But they are not. Some AP'ers use it for a low cost babysitting service, and some like my family can only visit the parks a couple of times every few years. Fortunately we can do this for up to two weeks at a time. The AP is more cost effective than Hoppers. You would punish us every few years just because we chose a less expensive option that allows us to stay a few days longer?

I do not like this idea one bit.
    There would never be a problem if you went early enough Or maybe there should be lines for first time in the park patrons AND returners ie: already been in the parks that day.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234