View Poll Results: Is it time for a new "Save Disney" campaign?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

16 29.63%
  • Maybe...

9 16.67%
  • Probably not...

7 12.96%
  • No.

22 40.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Save Disney 2014: Is it time for a new campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    In the end, it's whatever will make Disney the most money.
    The short-sighted management philosophy of "whatever will make us the most money" is what got Eisner fired, turned DCA 1.0 into a decade-long failure that cost over a billion dollars to fix, and is currently assisting Universal to slowly but steadily close the gap.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Yes, but most of the theme park based projects seen in the Disney Parks are to sell merchandise.

Cars Land = merchandise sales, Star Wars = merchandise sales, Avatar = merchandise sales (when the other films are released). The Eisner philosophy is still present, just with more investment and greater quality.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hammersly View Post
    As long as Disney is a public company with shareholders to answer to they're required to do whatever will consistently squeeze the most money out of their customers. That's the (unfortunate) reality of the situation. Try to have fun when/where you can in the meantime, because a few thousand people complaining mean nothing compared to the amount of extra zeroes in their attendance figures and on their balance sheets.
    As long as Disney focuses on "answering to stockholders", it will continue to deteriorate. When their focus was on pleasing their customers/fans, the company exceeded expectations, both for the company AND stockholders.

If your only evidence of the impending doom is your opinion that Avatarland and Star Wars Tomorrowland -- two ideas that haven't even been executed yet -- are "bad" and "short-sighted," you'll need to to build a much stronger case than that if any campaign is going to get any traction.

You only have to look back to all the hand-wringing when Cars Land was announced to see that personal opinion is not an indicator of financial or creative success.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    If your only evidence of the impending doom is your opinion that Avatarland and Star Wars Tomorrowland -- two ideas that haven't even been executed yet -- are "bad" and "short-sighted," you'll need to to build a much stronger case than that if any campaign is going to get any traction.

You only have to look back to all the hand-wringing when Cars Land was announced to see that personal opinion is not an indicator of financial or creative success.
    I've been doing a lot reading on WDW discussion forums ... They speak of a lot "not so good" things going on there. And for several years. Plenty of maintenance/upkeep issues. Lack of new attractions - And their answer to "new projects" .. a glorified reservation system to all your old favorites.

So, one could add WDW to the list!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    Avatarland and Star Wars Tomorrowland are hardly the "only evidence" of short-sighted management decisions, as has been attested by uncounted threads in the last two years that detail the declining quality standards in many areas of DLR and especially WDW, and the rapid rate of improvement at Universal.

And let's be clear, no one is predicting the "impending doom" of Disney, rather the continuing decline by degrees of the high standards of innovation, creativity, customer service and maintenance that made Disneyland world famous in the first place, while prices continue to rise. As time goes on it is becoming clear to increasing numbers of fans that "charge more for less" is Disney Parks' unspoken motto.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

There is nothing to save. The company is doing fine, the parks are doing fine, the public could care less about court of angels, the public will go wild for SW and Avatar, and the consumers in general are completely pleased with the direction disney is going.

Not everything they are doing is what I want. That is the key. A few hardcore fans are not getting what they want while the rest of the general public is eating it up. Quality is improving, maintenance is improving, sales are improving, and guest satisfaction is improving. I don't think its fair to the company to start some kind of movement to try and get what we prefer and act like we know what is in the best interest of the park. I know I don't know what is "in the best interest" of the parks.

Its like if I tried to start a movement to get the old white monorails back. Sure I liked them better but its pretty clear they were outdated looking and the new ones are improvements and I accept that. I accept that the public has spoken and their word is not always what i want. It sucks but thats how it works. Appeal to your customers and what not.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Artistic integrity

^^^ You're forgetting that the general public are fans too, and have a voice .. and is not often heard. When Sarah Tully of the OC Register .. or Brady MacDonald of the OC edition of the LA times do polls ... they are reaching out to the general public .. and their voices are not a whole lot different than people like us, on these fan forums.

Not the best example to use the Mark V monorail to the Mark VII look of those monorails as as a fair comparison for this argument. (The consensus, most people did prefer the look. The engineering problems they had though - You could have made a good argument for the return of the Mark Vs. ) Lets try using the Peoplemover. Lots of polls (not just discussion boards like this) have repeatedly shown ... The general public wish for that back in some form.

It would be all fine and dandy if life were that simple - And overall things are peachy keen. On closer look ... the people who run Disney are not perfect human beings. They make "slips" .. and this is what this discussion boils down to.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    ^^^ You're forgetting that the general public are fans too, and have a voice .. and is not often heard. When Sarah Tully of the OC Register .. or Brady MacDonald of the OC edition of the LA times do polls ... they are reaching out to the general public .. and their voices are not a whole lot different than people like us, on these fan forums.

Not the best example to use the Mark V monorail to the Mark VII look of those monorails as as a fair comparison for this argument. (The consensus, most people did prefer the look. The engineering problems they had though - You could have made a good argument for the return of the Mark Vs. ) Lets try using the Peoplemover. Lots of polls (not just discussion boards like this) have repeatedly shown ... The general public wish for that back in some form.

It would be all fine and dandy if life were that simple - And overall things are peachy keen. On closer look ... the people who run Disney are not perfect human beings. They make "slips" .. and this is what this discussion boils down to.
    You don't think Disney looks at polls? Disney is one of, if not the most, poll driven companies is the history of the world. However, polls in an article are unscientific and not something Disney would use to guide their decisions. Disney spends a fortune on market research and all their decisions are guided by that, for good and for bad.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    You don't think Disney looks at polls? Disney is one of, if not the most, poll driven companies is the history of the world. However, polls in an article are unscientific and not something Disney would use to guide their decisions. Disney spends a fortune on market research and all their decisions are guided by that, for good and for bad.
    That's true.

On another degree of separation - (Their Blog Site) you have to wonder how "skewed" some of the reactions are spun to give Disney answers they want to hear - And not so much the full honest answers

Filtering out whatever they don't want to hear. Here .. and other sites/discussion forums similar to Micechat ... we are bloody honest about how we feel. Posts are not deleted to create an agenda. Disney's Blog Site? I have to wonder how interested they are in the public's full and honest reactions vs. what their stockholders expect.

That's why I never post a thing on their blog. They'll delete 90% of what I write. I could follow all their rules to a "t" - But if I say something they don't want to hear - My posts will never see the light of day. Waste of time. I just hope some at Disney read what we have to say here, whenever possible.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-16-2013 at 04:06 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    As long as Disney focuses on "answering to stockholders", it will continue to deteriorate. When their focus was on pleasing their customers/fans, the company exceeded expectations, both for the company AND stockholders.
    I personally agree, I'd love to see more of the originality that made it a great park, but I don't see anything changing realistically as long as the parks are packed. Disneyland is the only real theme park in a hugely populated area that's worth visiting more than once every few years. And that's before taking in history and nostalgia as factors. So they'd have to do really, insanely stupid things in order to screw things up where it affects their business, long term or short term.

• Hooterville, USA

Take away the AP program, and Disney would suffer greatly.

Then, they might get off their butts and get creative to attract the public back. Until then, we're a captive audience.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Rock Star Minion

Stuff going on at WDW as well. Our friend Kevin Yee (I really need to check in on him more often, but the MiceAge site is poorly laid out for me to find his articles easily) has been documenting the Decline by Degrees at WDW for about seven years now.
    Declining by Degrees: Not So Magical Halloween Party
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Former Churro Jockey

Incidentally, I just discovered that there is a "Save Disneyland Paris" petition on change.org that looks like it is fairly recent. Disney apparently even gave an official reply to the petition, although it is in French and I can't translate it with my work computer, so I'll have to wait until later tonight to see what they said (likely something very carefully worded and lawyer approved that says that Disney appriciated the passion and fervor of its fans and that is part of what makes DL Paris so speical, and that they are committed to mantining the highest standard of quality at their parks).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Sock Puppet

Last edited by OliviaVonDrake; 10-17-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: double post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast