View Poll Results: Is it time for a new "Save Disney" campaign?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

16 29.63%
  • Maybe...

9 16.67%
  • Probably not...

7 12.96%
  • No.

22 40.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• What imagination needs...

Save Disney 2014: Is it time for a new campaign?

I only have a limited knowledge of the campaigns of the past, but I think it might be that time. I'm not one of those Disney vigilantes (I'll fight for Disney when Disney pays my bills) but I look on and cringe at everything, from Avatar Land, to Star Wars Tomorrowland. Is it that time again?

• Singing Drinker

Re: Save Disney 2014: Is it time for a new campaign?

There's no White Knight on the board to champion this kind of thing. Lassiter *would* have been my choice, but he's either OK with how things are going or not in a position to do anything about it.

Beyond that, it'd be hard to get public traction. The company itself is doing OK financially, and the kind of complaints you get here that arouse the most ire aren't the kind of stuff to get the non-fan investor worked up. Most anyone I mention any of the rumored plans to is anywhere between excited to just not caring - not really the negative reactions you'd need to get movement without that insider on the board that the LAST "Save Disney" had.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

As long as Disney is a public company with shareholders to answer to they're required to do whatever will consistently squeeze the most money out of their customers. That's the (unfortunate) reality of the situation. Try to have fun when/where you can in the meantime, because a few thousand people complaining mean nothing compared to the amount of extra zeroes in their attendance figures and on their balance sheets.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, Star Wars land and Avatar land are matters of personal taste. I would prefer to see something else myself, but just because I didn't like Avatar and am kind of neutral on Star Wars doesn't mean the new lands won't be fun. I'm also not a Harry Potter but I'll totally check out the new Harry Potter land at Universal next time I'm in Orlando, and I expect that I'll probably enjoy it very much. I HATE the idea of turning Tomorrowland into Star Wars land, but let's face it, Tomorrowland has been a shell of it's former self for the past 25 years now. I wish like heck they'd revitalize it and bring it back to being futuristic again, but if Star Wars land turns out to (a) be real and (b) be a lot of fun then I'm sure I'll get over it.

HOWEVER, I do notice that the maintenance of the park seems to be declining quite a bit again. Soarin, Indy, and Splash all operate in various states of disrepair, and breakdowns seem to be more and more common (granted, many breakdowns are caused by guest behavior and not by mechanical malfunction). Now, all of this has happened since Big Thunder went down for it's year + long refurbishment, and Disney tries very hard not to have more than one E-ticket ride closed at a time, so I'm willing to say that for right now, they're probably waiting until Big Thunder comes back to close some of these other rides and do some maintenance on them. However, if Big Thunder comes back and the other E-ticket rides are allowed to continue to operate with such significant mechanical problems, THEN that will probably be the appropriate time to start a Save Disney petition.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• What imagination needs...

To be quite honest (and clear), it's not necessarily that I believe that Avatar Land and Star Wars Tomorrowland are bad ideas (i do think they're bad ideas) but I think that they are apart of a long string of bad, shortsighted decisions Parks and Resorts has been making lately. I think now, they are experiencing the peak before the decline, the calm before the storm. I think everything is gonna go downhill soon, and maybe it just has to go down that hill before it get's any better... but I guess were just gonna have to lose some things (like the Court of Angels, A different Tomorrowland prospect, and a different Avatar Land prospect, because we all know when they're built, they're built).

• Nutty about Disney parks

Things might seem bad at the parks, it's alot worse to be in Disney's live-action film division right now. When's the last time Disney made a live action film that was loved, a box office hit, not starring Johnny Depp, and more importantly NOT A SEQUEL? I believe the last time was the first Chronicles of Narnia film in 2005 (unless one can tell me otherwise). Tragic that the film series failed to see past the first three books. I fear that the live action division may be cut down to pirates, Star Wars, and Marvel from this point on.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Rock Star Minion

You seem to want something like "Save Disneyland" or, if this is some worldwide issue, "Save Disney Parks."

Disney, as a very large corporation, seems to be doing just fine. Five-year chart of the stock price (using Yahoo!) is from mid 20's to mid-60's.

If you want to save the parks, there is only one way: stop spending your money and stop visiting. Even if it doesn't work (because we all know this will be hard for any of us to do), look at the money you'll personally save (or spend on something else).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If you want to save the parks, there is only one way: stop spending your money and stop visiting. Even if it doesn't work (because we all know this will be hard for any of us to do), look at the money you'll personally save (or spend on something else).
    Amen.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Special Agent

You have to remember that Roy's original Save Disney campaign was mostly being driven by the dissatisfaction Walt Street was expressing toward Eisner's failure to create a succession plan. Roy capitalized on that widespread disatisfaction to inspire change in leadership and due in part to his own dissatisfaction with being tossed off the board. Once Eisner announced that Iger would replace him, Wall Street backed off and Roy's Save Disney campaign was sunk. Of course looking back now, it's easy to see that absolutely nothing was changed about the culture and the way they do business... just the name on the door.

Save Disney was really nothing more than the angry ranting of someone who got fired. Unless you can change 100 years of capitalist indoctrination in American society, you're not going to change anything at Disney.

• a wind to shake the stars

The thing about "stop spending your money and stop visiting" rings very hollow given that the parks are basically seeing record numbers year over year.

Disney is really good at making money, one of the best companies in the history of the world in terms of making money. They're going to keep making money. The Court Of Angels isn't even a blip on the radar when it comes to that.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You seem to want something like "Save Disneyland" or, if this is some worldwide issue, "Save Disney Parks."

Disney, as a very large corporation, seems to be doing just fine. Five-year chart of the stock price (using Yahoo!) is from mid 20's to mid-60's.

Unfortunately, this is the only way to "save" Disneyland. The downside is that if it were able to be accomplished (and it won't... Disney is too big a name and too solid a product all things considered), there could potentially be adverse affects. Maintenance and basic elements of the park would likely be affected, and the very thing you try to save could end up suffering in a different kind of way. As such, all anyone can really do is count our blessings (in this case, the parks) and enjoy them for what they are. At least they have their history, and elements of the golden age can still be enjoyed.

• Rock Star Minion

I guess maintenance could be worse than it is today. It's been worse in the past.
    (Quick note: I don't mean the front-line folks. The back-office folks decide what to cut, what to keep.)

Tough love is the answer here.
    Yes, I mean literally that TDA (and any culpable executive) deserves a spanking. In public. In front of everyone.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Artistic integrity

If there are not large scale things one could do .... There are still small scale things.
    (Calling on News Papers OC Register, OC Edition of the LA Times) to strike up some articles. Don't just make your presence known here - Go to the other websites with discussion boards - There is more than Micechat. Reach out to all of them. Create a blog discussing your unhappiness about the situation. This guy did on the sorry state of the Tomorrowlands - Ten Wishes for the New Year: #5 « Progress City, U.S.A.
    Quite good .. and on the money. I'd like to see someone or some people get a series of Youtube videos going discussing these things. The thing is ... think small for now. Continue at a slow pace to build support. And the more people who start thinking about these things, the larger the base becomes. And the more that happens ... the more it's going to encourage various Disney managements to listen. If they can't change soon enough .. at the very least (to start) ... we want them to LISTEN.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    ...Save Disney was really nothing more than the angry ranting of someone who got fired.
    A spin which leaves out the heavy anti-Eisner/Presssler pressure from social media, the notorious publicity surrounding the deaths of Disneyland customers due to cutbacks in maintenance and training, and the angry public ranting that Eisner indulged in -- all of which contributed to getting him fired.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Of course looking back now, it's easy to see that absolutely nothing was changed about the culture and the way they do business... just the name on the door.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

The "Save Disney" thing is clearly subjective. Some people are fine/excited about where the company is going and some are not. In the end, it's whatever will make Disney the most money. After all, it is a business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast