• Seeker of Fun

Splash - Fixed or Not?

Just wanted to see if anyone had any updates on the condition of Splash. Is everything fixed?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: Splash - Fixed or Not?

Went on it on Sunday and we saw 5 elements not working at all, lots of lights off on characters... so I dont think its been fixed.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

As of last Friday, what cakvalasc said was true, but as compared with a couple of months ago some elements had been fixed. It looked like all the figures in the final steamboat scene were working except for the top row of dancing geese, who were still off.

• Heavy Breather

It probably won't go down for a refurb until Big Thunder reopens. Don't they have a rule of not having two of the four mountains closed at the same time?

• Not the Hawkguy

It's not close to fully repaired, but there have been small fixes here and there (the return of the raccoon to the beginning of the finale scene in particular). It won't be fully fixed until a lengthy refurb, which shouldn't happen until BTMR is open.

• Loves Disney

From reports and friends the complete refurbishment should start January/February and be about 1 to 2 months long, There is a lot of issues with Splash Mountain currently with characters not working and lights not being on, Even in the final show scene like everyone has mentioned the top row of characters are not functioning and the middle one even has fallen over and being held up by the boats wall. I know currently the main focus is Big Thunder and the other big projects but the fixes are coming soon

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Yes and No. The AAs that you have seen broken still are. Some of the miner AA like the gators and the instrumental ones in the final room or the gulls in the Laughing place have been take out and replaced once repair are finished, like what they do in Pirates, but the major/mostly noticeable ones like the kicking girls or Bair Bear are still not functioning. Lots of lighting in the first room are off.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Seeker of Fun

It's just a shame that when something is in such disrepair, they don't immediately address the problem. One of the key elements of Disneyland is that it's always someone's first visit. Simply bad show to have a frozen AA.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Disneyland 19 year APH

So I talked to the lead today and he said the problems are thanks to Cal OSHA. They can no longer climb up to the many of the spotlights and replace them without scaffolding. Same with the kicking girls in the end they do not have a "safe" way to get to them and repair. WDI is working on a way to change out the old lights with a system that can lower to "ground" level so maintence can replace them. They are looking into using a longer lasting bulbs for all show lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    So I talked to the lead today and he said the problems are thanks to Cal OSHA. They can no longer climb up to the many of the spotlights and replace them without scaffolding. Same with the kicking girls in the end they do not have a "safe" way to get to them and repair. WDI is working on a way to change out the old lights with a system that can lower to "ground" level so maintence can replace them. They are looking into using a longer lasting bulbs for all show lighting.
    Holy Crap. Cal OSHA is really putting Disney in a bind on some things. And I'm not making a statement on whether these safety procedures should be in place or not. It's just seems kind of odd that all these new measures seem to have really hit hard the past 2-3 years. I wonder if there was an event/large investigation/research done that caused the stricter rules.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• some assembly required

Splash goes down nearly yearly at the start of the year for several weeks. However, the annual refurb at the start of 2012 was much longer. Didn't it go from mid Jan to mid May that year (five mnths as opposed to just 6-8 wks)? I thought this was its' major refurb as part of the major refurbs of the past ten-ish yrs thru the park. It wasn't as dramatic at Matty or as long as BTMRR is now. Splash was given new paint, some areas were shock-crete'd, all new "fur" and "feathers" for the AAs w/ new outerwear where needed, new/cleaned props (the pumpkins come to mind about 100 yards before the first splash down - they were soooooo faded). The briar patch was rejuvinated, the lift belts and their roll dogs were totally replaced, and the grass was "replanted".

Either way, down AAs are quite common on this ride due to the dynamics of the, er, um, well, splashing and major humidity in some of those rooms. I don't think a first timer on the ride would notice static characters since Disney uses a combo of AAs and statics on several rides. I'd cut them a bit of slack.

On the topic of lighting, ugh... that's not really CalOSHA. It is the mega-team of lawyers. DLR is simply working w/ OSHA b/c we have the H&S personnel (health and safety). We can thank the sue-happy guests and CMs and third party contractors for all this uber bubble wrapping. Disneyland is simply covering their butts and teaming up w/ CalOSHA. CalOSHA isn't dictating any of this, just making reccomendations. As a point, may I direct your attention to every other themepark in California, every shopping plaza, public gathering venue? It gets tiring to see CalOSHA constantly being demonized as if it were some sorta overlords over DLR. The overlords are the ppl in the parks who have demanded these changes due to their lack of safety. The more ppl check their brains in the parking lots and/or before punching a time clock, the more these changes will be noticed in the future.

Yikes! Sorry about the off topic-ness-isms. Done w/ my soapbox (for now).

Anyway, sounds like Splash may need a phase two for the lengthy styled refurbs to fix the lighting issues!!!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Disneyland 19 year APH

We should be seeing another refurb coming January according to the lead CM.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Holy Crap. Cal OSHA is really putting Disney in a bind on some things. And I'm not making a statement on whether these safety procedures should be in place or not. It's just seems kind of odd that all these new measures seem to have really hit hard the past 2-3 years. I wonder if there was an event/large investigation/research done that caused the stricter rules.
    I'm sure that's why they're taking a little longer with BTMRR. Get things done as right as possible to avoid situations like that.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Here are some photos I snapped on Sunday:

Name:  IMG_4060.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  149.9 KB

He is not bobbing like he should and Bair Fox has almost no visual lighting at all.

Name:  IMG_4064.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  202.4 KB

There are only 2 out of the 3 gators there if you can see them

Name:  IMG_4071.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  179.5 KB.

As well as the girls are still not kicking. Low visual light near water level.
    Last edited by brianpinsky; 10-23-2013 at 12:15 AM.