Question Does Disney announce its projects too soon?

I read about Star Wars, Monsters and Avatar being announced and then being told they won't open for five years or so and Universal seeming to announce their new projects only two years or so before they open and I wonder if Disney doesn't make their announcements too soon. Maybe they should wait until six months before construction starts?

Was it always like this? I know Walt didn't announce the Matterhorn, the Subs and the Monorail were going up four years before they actually opened. And they tried to keep WDW a secret but the Orlando Sentinel broke the news early. (They tried to keep it secret so the price of land wouldn't go up, but still...)

What I'm saying is that the current strategy gives the impression that Disney takes too long to build their new attractions and that Universal is much faster. One exception to this rule seems to be Hollywood Potter. It was announced years ago and construction still hasn't started. Maybe it was because they had to clear things with LA County before they started? Is it because they have to tear down the Gibson first?

Am I right or do I not know what I'm talking about?
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Minion

Re: Does Disney announce its projects too soon?

I actually feel the opposite way. lol

• Sock Puppet

Monsters and Star Wars have not been announced. In fact they don't seem to want to make any announcements for Anaheim, presuming that these rumors of Monstropolis and Star Wars are even true. IMHO, its starting to look like projects have been axed or postponed for Anaheim to divert funds and labor to WDW, Shanghai, Paris and Hong Kong, but mostly WDW.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I read about Star Wars, Monsters and Avatar being announced and then being told they won't open for five years or so and Universal seeming to announce their new projects only two years or so before they open and I wonder if Disney doesn't make their announcements too soon. Maybe they should wait until six months before construction starts?

Was it always like this? I know Walt didn't announce the Matterhorn, the Subs and the Monorail were going up four years before they actually opened. And they tried to keep WDW a secret but the Orlando Sentinel broke the news early. (They tried to keep it secret so the price of land wouldn't go up, but still...)

What I'm saying is that the current strategy gives the impression that Disney takes too long to build their new attractions and that Universal is much faster. One exception to this rule seems to be Hollywood Potter. It was announced years ago and construction still hasn't started. Maybe it was because they had to clear things with LA County before they started? Is it because they have to tear down the Gibson first?

Am I right or do I not know what I'm talking about?
    The only one of those three things you said that has officially been announced is Avatar. Star Wars and Monstropolis are both rumors at this point, especially Star Wars Tomorrowland, which is basically the latest idea being thrown out after Tron and Marvel.

Really, it seems more like Disney takes too long to announce things, leaving fans to their own devices and working themselves up into a frenzy whenever the latest rumor is leaked. Even with Avatar, all we know at this point is that it's coming and will end up in DAK, but we don't know what it will consist of yet.

• Artistic integrity

I think it's too many chefs in the kitchen.

Possibly too many execs of equal power ... battling out all sorts of issues. Thus, resulting in longer waits and changes.

Back when Walt was alive ... it was his company - He had THEE say-so. He didn't procrastinate. Things got done quickly.

Now we have "committees" ... that most likely result in hashing out all sorts of things .. and lets not forget - as with all corporations - Must get awfully political within those walls.

And I'm betting the farm .. they hash out some of the same issues we talk about here.

In my wildest dream - in any of these "committee meetings":

"More people will like a Tomorrowland concept much more than a Star Wars land. We have to consider the future generations, who may not take to Star Wars as much as current generations are. We have to consider this very carefully before we take it to the "greenlight" stage. Whatever is built will likely stay there in concrete and steal for 30 years or longer."
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Sock Puppet

But you keep asserting that more people will like a TL concept than a Star Wars concept as if its fact. It's not. It's your preference. It's JMHO, but the truth is probably that the general public would FAAAAAARRRRRR more preferStar Wars. I'm not arguing for SW over the traditional TL, I just want what expands the DLR into the Tourist Destination that it can, and should be, and I want the projects done to Disney standards. I think your preference would be a great makeover and addition to DL, but I honestly don't think it would make even a small dent in getting destination tourists to make vacation plans. Star Wars wouldn't just make a dent, but a massive crater in the tourist industry, even greater than CARSLAND did. That would be massive for Anaheim and the DLR.
    As an example, both Soarin and the new Test Trac are probably the 2 most popular attractions in all of WDW right now. Soarin still has almost RSR level of lines. However, I don't think they have changed EPCOTS or WDW's attendance numbers at all.
    A remade TL would have the exact outcome. Lines of AP holders and locals would be long but their wouldn't even remotely be the massive tourism shift that were created by CARSLAND and Potter.
    The fact that you want Disney to just turn their head away from that so you can have the TL that is so precious to your memories and the only version that will be satisfactory to you is somewhat unrealistic. To be honest, I would prefer your version, but my preference doesn't mean squat compared to what the masses will show up for and spend millions on. I would love Star Wars as well, as long as its done to a very high level.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

They have not announced anything since the Mickey show and that was...maybe 8 months in advance...so no...I wish they told us more

Universal Studios Hollywood announced WWOHP in 2011. We just started construction, and phase 1 is not due until 2016.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    But you keep asserting that more people will like a TL concept than a Star Wars concept as if its fact. It's not. It's your preference.
    I can't speak for the general public - but I hear enough from movie-going people .. since the first Star Wars film came out in 1977 (I was 13 at the time) .. and for the next many years following it - I've overheard from many people - Star Wars is not everyone's cup of tea. And if, in my wording, I do assert it as fact, it's only because of the Star Wars fans who do the same back in return. Much more feverishly than I do with my opposite view point.

For example:
    It's JMHO, but the truth is probably that the general public would FAAAAAARRRRRR more preferStar Wars.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post

. One exception to this rule seems to be Hollywood Potter. It was announced years ago and construction still hasn't started. Maybe it was because they had to clear things with LA County before they started? Is it because they have to tear down the Gibson first?
    Hollywood "Potter" was first announced back around 2011, for an area which I think is going to open around 2016. The explanation I kept hearing for the early announcement was that the New York Times, or some media outlet, got an advance notice of the plans, from a leak, and that Universal was "forced" to make the announcement, before the story spread through other unofficial sources. I don't know that I buy that. And how often, in the 20th century, do you first hear about a new theme park attraction/land through an official announcement through the respective company? Usually, something will "leak" online, or people will speculate and guess what's coming next, and some of the speculations turn out to be accurate. Or actual construction will happen months before an official announcement. I think that happened with "Transformers" in Florida. Once construction starts, usually everyone know what it is.
    I think one reason for the early announcements is that just the announcement alone can cause a rise in the stock price.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    or people will speculate and guess what's coming next, and some of the speculations turn out to be accurate.
    I think this is most often the case. Throw enough darts and you are bound to hit the bulls eye.

Look at everything on screamscape and a few are correct.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Drunk On Disney

I think the OP has a point. I find myself far more interested in whatever is coming than whatever is new! Perhaps the waiting makes it seem old!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Special Agent

Most of these announcements are made for strategic reasons. Announcement dates, opening dates, media dates are all planned out years in advance for strategic marketing and publicity.

Obviously it doesn't take four years to build a theme park ride, but if you look at the market and you look at your operation and figure that you will need a new ride in 2016, then that's when you announce your ride for. Perhaps you time the announcement to coincide with a quarterly earnings report or some other bad news to show your plan to Wall Street. Its all strategy.

Having the Mine Train coaster in the new Fantasyland open up a year later now makes the new Fantasyland a year long event which can be marketed and advertised for months to come. You may actually convince some people to make two trips to see everything. Its just good business.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, keep in mind there was no social media up until recently, so announcements could be made much closer to when the project was going to be finished. I remember in 95 that I had no idea Indy was under construction until I saw the first commercial on TV, and then the ride was only a few months away from opening. Disney may have had a press release prior to that announcing the construction before it started, but it wasn't something that I ever saw.

I think Disney (and all theme parks) are still trying to find a balance between announcing the news ahead of social media, so that they can have more control over the message, and announcing projects once they are absolutely for certain going to happen. I think that for right now, there is enough incorrect information out there about rumors that were false or just simply plans that changed, that they are okay announcing something closer to the start date of the project, because no one knows what to believe and what not to believe when they read rumors of new projects online. And, like Apple purposely "leaking" details of their new iphones or ipads, they may even purposely leak information just to see what the reaction online is and then decide to proceed or not proceed based at least partly on how the online community reacts.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• "What? What?"

I appreciate the timeframe, it allows me to better plan my vacations over the next year.

I do like the old fashioned way of not letting any secrets out before hand. But I don't think that works with todays world. Not with facebook, forums, and twitter. Heck I try to avoid this site even because the early news and rumors seem to be spoilers to me. But that is what the person of 2013 wants. Look at movie trailers, they show you everything, back in the day, they kept that stuff secret for when you went to the theater.