Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: Why originanlity is going to be severly limited at DL (for the time being)

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    But in another five, ten, twenty years (depending on the pace of release) those "outside" IPs will *be* "Disney". Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio etc. are all outside storylines that are now very strongly "Disney" simply because Disney created iconic versions of old stories. If they can continue Marvel, Star Wars etc. storylines with quality offerings and support them with the might of the Disney empire, they will definitely be remembered as "Disney" brands.

At one point the name "Disney" in entertainment meant nothing but little cartoons. Then it became cartoons and movies. It kept expanding from there. The only "original" in the initial build up was the Mouse and stable of characters that have been helped by Walt and his successors effectively mining older fairytales, stories and other non-original properties.
    This makes sense and I understand what you're saying, but the difference is Walt had his company do their own take on individual stories, whereas with The Muppets, Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm it's a matter of larger entities/companies that either have produced or are now allowed to produce their own material. For instance, when a film comes out about an Avengers character, the film is a Marvel film, as Marvel Studios is it's own entity and is simply owned by Disney. Just as when a new television shows on ABC, people know it as an ABC show, not a Disney show. My point being is that whereas in Walt's day the movies, though based on third party IP's, where direct creations of HIS studio, now the more popular films tend to come from studios owned by the Walt Disney Company.

Tangled was pretty good, as was Wreck-it Ralph, but Oz and the Lone Ranger were disappointments. I know this is a somewhat subjective statement, but I don't think Disney has made a true universal hit in a long time. I'm talking about a classic that really has the story, charm, and overall quality of what we used to expect from Disney. Personally, I LOVED The Princess and the Frog, but not many others did.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    This makes sense and I understand what you're saying, but the difference is Walt had his company do their own take on individual stories, whereas with The Muppets, Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm it's a matter of larger entities/companies that either have produced or are now allowed to produce their own material. For instance, when a film comes out about an Avengers character, the film is a Marvel film, as Marvel Studios is it's own entity and is simply owned by Disney. Just as when a new television shows on ABC, people know it as an ABC show, not a Disney show. My point being is that whereas in Walt's day the movies, though based on third party IP's, where direct creations of HIS studio, now the more popular films tend to come from studios owned by the Walt Disney Company.

Tangled was pretty good, as was Wreck-it Ralph, but Oz and the Lone Ranger were disappointments. I know this is a somewhat subjective statement, but I don't think Disney has made a true universal hit in a long time. I'm talking about a classic that really has the story, charm, and overall quality of what we used to expect from Disney. Personally, I LOVED The Princess and the Frog, but not many others did.
    I guess the last big Disney hit that was strictly Disney was Pirates of the Caribbean?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I guess the last big Disney hit that was strictly Disney was Pirates of the Caribbean?
    I would agree with that, the first film that is.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Carsland is Corporate Disney doing paint-by-numbers. Very detailed and precise paint-by-numbers, indeed, but paint-by-numbers nonetheless. (And in lackluster efforts like Finding Nemo Submarines and the Little Mermaid ride, they can't even achieve that.)
    All I know is I want more of that paint by numbers, which isn't cheap, and by no means assured that they will spend such money to get the same results. It is only paint by numbers to some because it was already created and beloved. Although I never loved the Cars movie, I love the ride; thus you might not always get the results you expect.

This originality that you speak of has evolved for the better. What odd is some think it can be revived by original attractions. I don't have such expectation, but nonetheless, can't we acknowledge Mystic Manor? Originality does get built.

My issue is we fans do have favorites. I want to see a Star Wars Land. While I will not suffer if Avatar does not gets built, no one should say Animal Kingdom doesn't deserve such fitting project. Disney World does have room for more diversity of ideas. And 20 to 30 years down the road, I am sure Disney will buy it out and bring it into the family.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456