Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else in a gluten free diet?

I read about all the GF options at DLR and have to say it's quite empress or how much they go out of their way to offer great food and service to go with it.

I am curious to know what's your favorite GF items to eat? The only thing I've really had so far is the burger from tomorrowland terrace with GF bun.

• Wished I lived closer!

Re: Anyone else in a gluten free diet?

Try the turkey and provolone sandwich at The Hungry Bear! And don't forget the sweet potato fries

What is Gluten?

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Wall to Wall Creep View Post
    What is Gluten?
    I dunno.. something contained in certain grains that some people with Celiac Disease have allergies/reactions to that can be life threatening. Then, some decided it was "trendy" to cut out of their diet anyway.

Why All The Buzz About Gluten-Free - DukeHealth.org
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

just like everything else consumed in large quantities can be bad for me. Moderation is the key!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Chief Troublemaker

What is Gluten?
    Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, & rye. Most people can ingest gluten their entire lives with no problems. Gluten in and of itself is not bad or dangerous. In people (like me) with Celiac Disease (CD) it causes an auto-immune reaction which results in antibodies that attack our GI system. If we don't stick to a strict gluten free (GF) diet, that reaction causes acute, unpleasant GI problems. Continual ingestion of gluten by people with CD causes severe malnutrition, severe GI damage, & increases our chances of certain lymphomas by 50%. Celiac Disease has a clear genetic link & it is estimated that 1 in 133 people in the USA has CD, many undiagnosed. Gluten Intolerance is an allergic reaction up to and including anaphylaxis. The cause is unknown.

Thus endeth today's biology lesson. LOL

My fav GF food at DL? So far, it the meal I had at Club 33 (naturally, right?). It even included a wonderful GF chocolate cake for dessert. So much of the GF food at DLR is 'custom' based on what they have at the time. The DLR chefs are really great about fixing special 'off the menu' dishes for people with food intolerances because so many of the regular offerings are not 'safe' for us. I will say that I really liked the cookie I had at the Jolly Holiday. It was soft, buttery, & not gritty. And the enchiladas at Rancho Zocalo were delish.

DL does have a REAL shortage of GF sweet-treats, I will say that. It would be so nice if they offered just ONE GF cupcake.
    Last edited by Stormy; 10-17-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Genopeid

“Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. ”

I wish there was a Gluten Free cupcake =) and a possible Gluten Free churro ? I miss Churros!

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by Genopeid View Post
    I wish there was a Gluten Free cupcake =) and a possible Gluten Free churro ? I miss Churros!
    baby cakes is at DTD at WDW, maybe it's time for them to move in to Anaheim!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    baby cakes is at DTD at WDW, maybe it's time for them to move in to Anaheim!
    + to infinity (& beyond!)!!! I keep hoping this will happen. Not sure why it hasn't. I'm sure the market is there to support a branch of Babycakes in DTD. There's one in LA, but I wouldn't think that would be close enough that a branch in DTD would be considered to be 'taking away' customers from that branch.

If Disney could even contract with Babycakes to supply a GF cupcake for the parks.

Gee, can you tell I think about this....a lot!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, & rye. Most people can ingest gluten their entire lives with no problems. Gluten in and of itself is not bad or dangerous. In people (like me) with Celiac Disease (CD) it causes an auto-immune reaction which results in antibodies that attack our GI system. If we don't stick to a strict gluten free (GF) diet, that reaction causes acute, unpleasant GI problems. Continual ingestion of gluten by people with CD causes severe malnutrition, severe GI damage, & increases our chances of certain lymphomas by 50%. Celiac Disease has a clear genetic link & it is estimated that 1 in 133 people in the USA has CD, many undiagnosed. Gluten Intolerance is an allergic reaction up to and including anaphylaxis. The cause is unknown.

Thus endeth today's biology lesson. LOL

My fav GF food at DL? So far, it the meal I had at Club 33 (naturally, right?). It even included a wonderful GF chocolate cake for dessert. So much of the GF food at DLR is 'custom' based on what they have at the time. The DLR chefs are really great about fixing special 'off the menu' dishes for people with food intolerances because so many of the regular offerings are not 'safe' for us. I will say that I really liked the cookie I had at the Jolly Holiday. It was soft, buttery, & not gritty. And the enchiladas at Rancho Zocalo were delish.

DL does have a REAL shortage of GF sweet-treats, I will say that. It would be so nice if they offered just ONE GF cupcake.
    Great analysis fellow GFer! Celiac Disease and most other auto-immune conditions are thought to be caused by leaky gut or that they may in turn cause leaky gut. I had to visit a naturpathic doctor before finding out this kind of information. And it makes a lot of sense. Although I am gluten free for the most part (not allergic really, just intolerant), I can still eat some forms of bread (real sourdough, sprouted bread) so long as I ramp up the digestive enzymes to make sure I process everything! If you have any questions, PM me and maybe we can chat

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Great analysis fellow GFer! Celiac Disease and most other auto-immune conditions are thought to be caused by leaky gut or that they may in turn cause leaky gut. I had to visit a naturpathic doctor before finding out this kind of information. And it makes a lot of sense. Although I am gluten free for the most part (not allergic really, just intolerant), I can still eat some forms of bread (real sourdough, sprouted bread) so long as I ramp up the digestive enzymes to make sure I process everything! If you have any questions, PM me and maybe we can chat
    If your gut was leaking, wouldn't you have more to worry about from sepsis than some wheat protein?

Like I said, I've never heard of Gluten before. I know that my mother never sent me out to the store saying "darn, we're out of Gluten. Go to the store to get some more".

• Selfie Expert

If your gut was leaking, wouldn't you have more to worry about from sepsis than some wheat protein?

Like I said, I've never heard of Gluten before. I know that my mother never sent me out to the store saying "darn, we're out of Gluten. Go to the store to get some more".

Like Stormy said, it's a natural occuring protein in foods made with wheat and related things. It's what makes your bread "chewy" (which is why many gluten-free products have a gritty texture). If you look it up on Wikipedia, you'll find a detailed explanation there.

Sorry, I'm of no help with recommendations on GF foods! I would just echo what others have said and mention your diet restrictions to the waiter, I have heard numerous reports that the resort's chefs are very familiar with many diets and are happy to accommodate.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Mrs. J. Depp

I don't want to derail this thread, I was just trying to share some knowledge. But basically when you have a leaky gut, food leaks out into your bloodstream and causes a basic reaction for your body to attack. It's really not quite as serious as it sounds, at least not for most people. But over time untreated can become incredibly serious.
    I think Stormy and Kelly covered what gluten is pretty well. The bread we eat today is hardly even bread. It's so processed and has so many ingredients (pick up a bag of bread in your home, read the list and let me know if you have any idea what half of those ingredients are!) And in America bread is pushed to us from all directions telling us to consume it every day, and that it has all of these health benefits, yadda, yadda.Which is how people develop intolerances and you get the point.

But to the OP, I've never had any gluten free items at the parks so I can't speak from that. I do love mexican food and can handle corn pretty well so if you like tacos hit up Rancho del Zocalo. Corndogs are also gluten free I believe. I personally do not think that GF has a very big voice in the parks and I hope that changes soon. But they are trying which is good!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    But to the OP, I've never had any gluten free items at the parks so I can't speak from that. I do love mexican food and can handle corn pretty well so if you like tacos hit up Rancho del Zocalo. Corndogs are also gluten free I believe. I personally do not think that GF has a very big voice in the parks and I hope that changes soon. But they are trying which is good!
    I'm going to pass over any additional medical dialogue, other than to say to the OP, if you have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease or MUST adhere to a GF diet for medical reasons, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help you stay GF at DLR. That will help keep this thread from becoming to 'medically intense' and avoid spreading any possible misinformation.

The corn dogs are positively NOT gluten free. The tacos at Rancho del Zocalo are NOT gluten free as they are normally prepared, but can be modified to be GF. There are many things to be concerned about in adhering to a medically necessary GF diet that go beyond just the ingredients in the food. If you MUST be GF for medical reasons (i.e. Celiac Disease or gluten allergy) Disney can accommodate you. They used to provide us with printed 'GF' lists at City Hall, but when I was there in February I was told that they no longer do so. Now, when you enter an 'eatery' tell the host/counterperson/server that you need to eat gluten free. They will have the chef come to your table and discuss your options with you. Be sure to stress that you MUST eat GF for medical reasons. This will alert them to prepare your food separately using precautions to avoid cross-contamination.

If you are eating GF for non-medical reasons (i.e. because it's trendy) and therefore you don't have to be concerned about cross contamination, you have more 'mainstream' options. For example, you could eat the french fries which do not, of themselves, contain gluten. However, they are (usually) fried in oil that is also used to fry breaded items so for a person on a medical GF diet, those same fries would be a big No-No, as the oil is contaminated by gluten from the breaded items. You could eat the frosting off of a piece of cake, I cannot as it is likely that that frosting as been contaminated by bits of and contact with the cake. The list goes on.

As I said, feel free to PM me if you have questions regarding being GF at Disney for MEDICAL reasons.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks stormy for the offer. I was mainly just trying to have an open discussion about what we like to eat there when we have to eat GF, I didn't realize it was gonna be a medical discussion haha!

A few months back there were menus that included GF stuff but I can't seem to find them now. I so far haven't had a problem with the diet at disneyland, they do so much to make it easy as possible for me so there hasn't been an issue finding good to eat, I am just looking for ideas that maybe I hadn't heard of or tried yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast