Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Will DLR be more or less Pixarized now?

There's an old addage, "Some people would complain if they were hung by a new rope." In other words, if the cynical Disney purists weren't blasting away about "Pixarland", it would be something else.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-29-2006 at 07:36 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Orginally Posted by Ride Warrior:
    Brace yourself for a DCA to be dropped, and a fresh moniker in it's place - possibly something along the lines of Disney-Pixar Studios.
    This will never happen in a million bajillion years.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    There's an old addage, "Some people would complain if they were hung by a new rope." In other words, if the cynical Disney purists weren't blasting away about "Pixarland", it would be something else.
    Yup. I agree. Sometimes it seems that even if good things are coming from something, in this case Pixar, we Disney fans still complain about it. Why? I don't know. If it's good, it's good. Why diss that?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Animatronic

I'm not sure I'm a Disney purist, but I see much more thought and total experience considerations in previous work than in the recent Pixar additions. Whether or not it's true, the impression use to be that the park came first and the few movie tie-ins were just Disney's good fortune to have made movies that could help the complex, interlocking themes of the park.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    This will never happen in a million bajillion years.
    Time will tell. DCA's name may change this year when its entryway is refurbished.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

There is a slight chance of a name change, but definitely not to Disney-Pixar or any kind of studios. That would compromise the themes of the overwhelming majority of the park.

Why further muddle and confuse the theming of DCA? Aren't these changes going through to make it better?

Also, the rumors seem to indicate that the powers-at-be want to put the Golden Dreams theater at the very forefront of the park. Why would they be trying to put the California theme in the spotplight if they were planning on dumping that theme?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Yup. I agree. Sometimes it seems that even if good things are coming from something, in this case Pixar, we Disney fans still complain about it. Why? I don't know. If it's good, it's good. Why diss that?
    Elequently put, MasterGracey. You rock. Although there's no such thing as perfection, quality is quality.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2006 at 12:36 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    I'm not sure I'm a Disney purist, but I see much more thought and total experience considerations in previous work than in the recent Pixar additions. Whether or not it's true, the impression use to be that the park came first and the few movie tie-ins were just Disney's good fortune to have made movies that could help the complex, interlocking themes of the park.
    First off Lore, both of us are Disneyland fans who genuinely care about the resort, and desire it to be the best that it can be. Disney still creates attractions that do not have movoe tie-ins. Most recently, WDW's Mission: Space and Expedition: Everest. Disneyland's Space Mountain is brand New in terms of effects, and Rock-It Mountain is on it's way. They will each stand on there own ground.

As compared to 30, 40 or 50 years ago, far more rides are either based on movies or vice versa. Times change, along with the way that business is done. Dusney parks are more popular than ever before, and the crowds love the movie based rides. When I was a kid, it was the movie based rides permiating Fantasyland that eandeared me to the park more than anything else. What's more, most of them are still operating after having been around for over 40 years (taking into account refurbishments)

Today's kids love both Disney and Pixar movie based rides. Who's to say that they won't be around decades later as well. Heck, throngs of adults enjoy them. In any event, I doubt that Disney management and the Imagineers will ever lose their desire to build unique attraction experiences, both movie and non-movie based.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2006 at 12:41 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

There is a slight chance of a name change, but definitely not to Disney-Pixar or any kind of studios. That would compromise the themes of the overwhelming majority of the park.

Why further muddle and confuse the theming of DCA? Aren't these changes going through to make it better?

Also, the rumors seem to indicate that the powers-at-be want to put the Golden Dreams theater at the very forefront of the park. Why would they be trying to put the California theme in the spotplight if they were planning on dumping that theme?
    Well, at least you conceded that the name may change. In all honesty, I'll concede that if DCA takes on a new name, it might not be movie oriented. I think it is highly probable that it will be a movie park, but not an absolute. Disney-Pixar Studios is the moniker that I would like to see most - Walt Disney Studios, Anahiem my second choice.

What are some of your non-movie ideas for the re-naming of the park, should this occur? I'd love to here one or two. Who knows, you might come up with simething close to what is actually used, should a change take place.

• Down Pluto!

More - the trend is easily plottable. Even with the acquisition of Pixar by Disney, more attractions and features will be focused around the computer generated features from that division of Disney.

I don't like it - but it is the future.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Sambo, you are so there. Thanks for being a good natured sport. I do hope we get plenty of original non-movie and CG based rides at the Disneyland Resort in the future as well - and I'm sure that er will.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2006 at 01:33 AM.

• Minion

Uhh .. (cough-cough) .. this park has been "compromised" since the day it opened.

I think it's been muddled, confused .. not to mention generic, "lite", and a whole host of other "less flattering" descriptions ..........

So .. the park can only get better at this point.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    There is good news for those that want Disneyland to become a museum, and for life to stand still with everything remaining the same forever. Inspite of this attitude among a few, the park is going to remain popular, profitable, significant, and "best of all" open. Paraphrazing Walt, "As long as their is imagination left in the world, Disneyland will remain a work in progress.
    I've loved Disneyland since the early 1960's...but who said anything about the park itself being a museum? (There has been talk in other threads about a DL museum elsewhere in the resort.) But change just for change's sake doesn't make sense unless you wind up with a better overall product. One hopes that the new attractions in both parks, whether movie-based or not, will have the quality and attention-to-detail of, say, POTC...which I considered to be the crowning achievement of Walt's era.
    BTW...I've heard the Walt "as long as there is imagination left in the world" quote hundreds of times. I'd like to know if anyone has information about the context in which he said that...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I've loved Disneyland since the early 1960's...but who said anything about the park itself being a museum? (There has been talk in other threads about a DL museum elsewhere in the resort.)
    There are biographies on Walt as well as various articles that have pointed out that he said that he didn't intend for Dosneyland to become a museum. This is the comtext of his "As liong as there is Imagination..." assertian.

{quote-Raadiobarry}But change just for change's sake doesn't make sense unless you wind up with a better overall product. One hopes that the new attractions in both parks, whether movie-based or not, will have the quality and attention-to-detail of, say, POTC...which I considered to be the crowning achievement of Walt's era.
    BTW.{quote}

I haven't heard anybody say that they desire change just for change sake. A few people think Pixar theme park atractions are pure crap, but the vast majority feel that most are quality works. The new Monsters ride for instance is such a popular family ride that lthere was over an hours wait in line for most of the day today. Disney looks to have a hit on its hands. Hollywood Limo, it's predecessor, was practically a walk on from day one. Buzz Lightyear is another run away hit. In fact, I don't know of a single unpopular Pixar based attraction.

I hope that future movie and non-movie based attractions will have the quality and attention to detail that is represented by POTC as well. However, there is and always will be only one Pirates ride. Future E-tickets will stand on their own original merit. One such ride is DCA's Soaring Over California ride. It's the Pirates of DCA, and not based on any cinematic film.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2006 at 02:08 AM.

• Minion

What? Disney capitilize on success? NEVER!!! Wait. POTC.... Crud. Pixar land it is!

If they do a good job, and make fun rides, then great! If they just do cheesy tie-in's and crap rides, the booh. Time will only tell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast