• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

What is the best way you were surprised with a trip to Disneyland?

Just a fun question to see who if any were surprised with a trip to the park and how it was surprised to you?

For me it was in 2010. Because we just had out second son 18 months prior we knew we were going to wait to go back to the parks at least two full years. Maybe it was all the whining, tears and tantrums (no, not from the baby ) but my wife kept the trip a secret for six months. She even had my oldest who was 5 at the time not spill the beans the entire time. Getting to spend my birthday at the park was the best present ever. We had "cake" outside Pooh's Corner. Although we left a day early because of storms it was still by far the best present ever.

Now, maybe my wife will be all for repeating the special gift this year!!! Well a guy can dream at least.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: What is the best way you were surprised with a trip to Disneyland?

We just surprised out daughter with a Halloween visit for tomorrow (she is 7). We created a make your own puzzle, broke it down into 16 envelopes. Each day she was given a hint as to where she could find a sealed clue envelope that contained 3 puzzle pieces. She was not allowed to open the envelopes until she found the last one today. She opened all the envelopes, saw the pieces and put together a puzzle that told her she was going to Disneyland tomorrow. She knew we were doing something fun (a surprise) but that was all so she has been getting more and more excited until today's final envelope.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Done with MC.

Personally I'd rather look forward to the trip for days or weeks beforehand and I'm sure my son feels the same way.
    I think the surprise thing is more fun for the "surpriser" than the "surprisee".
    JMO.

• formerly very helpful

Nothing too elaborate. One time I took my girlfriend and without telling her just drove to Disneyland. Then I walked her up to the Disney Gallery and got down on one knee and popped the question.

A few years later when my son was about 2, I just put him in the car and started driving. He fell asleep on the way. When we got there, I woke him up. I said, "We're in Disneyland." His innocent little cute response was "Mickey Mouse?"

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I think that might depend on the age of the person being surprised
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

My mom: Hey do you want to go to Disneyland on Sunday?

Me: Sure

I miss having an AP.

There was this time when I was around 5 or 6 where my parents said we were going to Anaheim to see a giant ball of yarn.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Locals perspective from the days before AP's...

Would be driving around with mom after school as she would run errands. Sometimes this took us close enough to DL to see the Matterhorn. I would beg and plead for us to go. She never gave in.

Kinda stinks. But oh well.

My daughter was 5 and one day we put her in the car and said we were going to Mc Donalds. Mind you I am in Santa Cruz. About 3 hours into it we told her she was going to Disneyland. she cried, Made sure we packed her blanky. Cried again because she was going to miss the pumpkin patch field trip. Needless to say when we went for Christmas I told her a week early. No more surprises

• And Dad was my hero.

I was around 6-7 and my parent told me we were going to visit "Uncle Walter", "a dear old friend" of my parents that we hadn't seen for a couple years. I didn't get the reference and kept bugging them to go to Disneyland as we were "passing" it. All the sudden we pulled in and they told me this is where Uncle Walter lived, and I was SOOOOOO happy! Freaking out laughing and saying "oh I get it!"

This memory is one of the reasons I love Disneyland so much. Surprises like this stick in your memory forever.