Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Re: Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

I think a day in the Disney parks is a great value. This past week, I had some real-world experiences that made me appreciate what a good deal Disney really is.

So, my sister in law and my nieces were in town for three days for a family matter involving my brother and I played hostess, taking them around and doing a few fun things. I couldn't believe how much we spent not doing all that much:

(1) We all went to a Halloween/corn maze/pumpkin patch "fall fun" place. Admission was $12 per person, but there were rides that cost more ($30 or $40 to ride a zip line or do this big plastic ball thing where you slid down a hill). Renting a fire pit was like $15 and they had food and drinks, but they were pretty pricey ($4 for apple cider and $3 hot chocolate). I paid for myself, my sons, and my SIL and nieces. I spent $150 easily and we were there for about two and a half hours. I don't think it was a good value at all and we ran out of things to do quickly. I could have easily spent $300 there if my sons were older and had wanted to do all the zip lines and stuff. There's no way that we would want to ever spend more than three hours at that place. We had a nice time, but once every three years is good for this place.

(2) I took everyone to dinner and a movie one night. I spent something like $250, for the six of us, with dinner, the movie, and snacks at the movie. I have buyers' remorse over the whole thing since I don't think it was a good value. And the movie stunk.

I've never once walked out of a Disney parking thinking "that was boring" or "it wasn't worth it". And I usually get there at rope drop and stay until closing. I think it's a bargain at any price because there is just so much to do.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

Unless they were willing to take on a serious investment in the park, and rip out most of the under performing Walt era rides like pirates and small world, you just have to accept that discounting will be the norm.
    PIRATES? SMALL WORLD? Are you kidding me?

Rip out Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, Star Tours. But Pirates and Small World ARE Disneyland, next to the Matterhorn.

Get rid of Pooh. Replace Innoventions. Build stuff where Buzz is. The PeopleMover needs to be used. What about re-building ToonTown and make smething cool?

• Mrs. J. Depp

Whoa you guys are just crazy talking. Pirates, Splash, Star Tours, and even Small World...the park would never be the same without some of those core rides or attractions. Now I love Toon Town, but lets face it, it's in the back of the park and has ONE neat ride. I wouldn't be devastated if it disappeared because I don't consider it too classic. Although I sure do love Mickeys House and RRCS. In fact I've always wondered why they don't do a Steamboat Mickey meet and greet somewhere, like near the Mark Twain. I'd totally wait in line for that!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    True, but I think there are still a whole lot of local people who don't go to Disneyland even once a year, and management has decided not to try so hard to entice them to show up even for a once-a-year experience, and instead has decided to concentrate their efforts on a select few who are not as concerned with quality as they are with quantity.
    Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    PIRATES? SMALL WORLD? Are you kidding me?

Rip out Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, Star Tours. But Pirates and Small World ARE Disneyland, next to the Matterhorn.

Get rid of Pooh. Replace Innoventions. Build stuff where Buzz is. The PeopleMover needs to be used. What about re-building ToonTown and make smething cool?
    Well put!

Although, if Disney's identicalness were in charge of things, I'd love to see what he would replace Small World or Pirates with
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Some of you guys seem to be missing one aspect of some AP holders. A couple years ago my wife and I purchased the cheapest annual pass -- the first and only time I'd possess any annual pass, the second time for her. We only used them a single time. We'd intended to go more frequently and "take advantage" of the pass, but we never seemed to have the time to use it.

Essentially what happened is that we paid considerably more than the price of a single entrance fee for a single entrance. Win-win for Disneyland. Lose-lose for us.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I bought my annual pass on the first day of a ten day trip, so I knew that I would get my money's worth. Disney didn't give much choice. They don't sell a 10 day parkhopper at Disneyland.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    For those of you who are "priced out of Disneyland" (whatever you consider that phrase to mean), I would like to ask what brought you to that decision?

At first glance, that question seems easy. "I can't afford it anymore." But I want you to think a bit more deeply than that. The ticket price isn't the only thing that factors into our decisions. For example, some people would say that $50 is too much, but if the Electrical Parade was there, they might think $50 would be a fair price.

So I want to ask you where was your line when it came to pulling the plug on Disneyland for you? (Lines, especially these kinds, are never straight.)

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - A cat knows your every thought. It doesn't care. But it knows.
    The skyrocketing prices is one of three reasons I have let my AP expire and after 50 yrs of being a regular guest I am calling it quits. This doesnt apply to me but i strongly objected to them ending the discounts for locals many familys can only afford to go at that time and now they cant.

Disney parks are becoming exclusive primate members only clubs for the wealthy, the co even said they didnt need to offer discounts to locals they were getting enough full paying customers !!! so to all the big middle to lower income families that means &#(* you!

Look how they bulldozed the court of angels to expand the club 33 private club for the wealthy! Which brings me to number two reason the wanton demolition of favorite locales for strictly commercial reasons, ice cream parlor, market house, court of angels etc etc.

reason three is of course the nail in the coffin the DAS which I strongly am against.

Since it is already weighing heavy on my health to be at the parks for more than 3 hrs at a time its just not worth it.

I am going on monday evening for the halloween party hopefully I can get into the mansion at least once without too much hell I am not using DAS I refuse to sign that I agree with it. I hope its a cool and foggy night not a rainy one.

I may go back just once a year for halloween or if they ever make another big new E ticket type ride like pirates or the mansion, yeah I know good luck with that one!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Just wasn't having fun. Couldn't ride many rides, too many people. The last few times I was there, my enjoyment came from showing someone the park who really didn't know it, and taking photographs of everything.

It's no longer enough so I let my AP lapse. Will probably take day-visits now and then but it just wasn't fun anymore. Price was a part of the equation, but there are other things that are also part of the calculus.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Disney parks are becoming exclusive primate members only clubs for the wealthy, the co even said they didnt need to offer discounts to locals they were getting enough full paying customers !!! so to all the big middle to lower income families that means &#(* you!
    I agree with all you wrote, but I wanted to point out the hilarious typo.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberZorro View Post
    I find it really insulting to be lumped in a group as a cheap, unsophisticated rube because I still enjoy the park and have been since my first visit back in the early 60s.
    Who's doing this? I didn't, so it probably came from some other source between what you read and what you wrote.

I thought my idea of an AP purchaser thinking things through is smart and sophisticated.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

If Meg & Mike have their way, by decade's end Disneyland and DCA will become an exclusive perks for members of the expanded Club 33 program. But don't worry! Downtown Disney will still be there so commoners can capture a little bit of that Disney magic!

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I just really can't believe that a handful of posters on an internet forum are somehow more in tune with the intricacies of Disney's finances than Disney is, especially given that Disney has access to worlds of numbers and datasets that you'll never see.
    You shouldn't because they aren't.

4th Qtr and Full Year Results (just released)

Parks and Resorts

4th Qtr Revenue +8% (YoY)

Full Year +9%

Operating Income

4th Qtr +15%

Full Year +17%

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'm not knowledgeable about this kind of thing but will prices just continue to escalate as time goes on? Will prices ever go back down? Because I'm just thinking about other theme parks and yes I know they don't compare, completely separate level, but other theme parks have always seemed relatively fair priced to me, not really sky rocketing over the years. Can we ever expect to see a decrease in prices because when you continue to go up, where do you stop??

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable about this kind of thing but will prices just continue to escalate as time goes on? Will prices ever go back down? Because I'm just thinking about other theme parks and yes I know they don't compare, completely separate level, but other theme parks have always seemed relatively fair priced to me, not really sky rocketing over the years. Can we ever expect to see a decrease in prices because when you continue to go up, where do you stop??
    Right now, in the local market, Universal is comparative with Disney's single day/single park price ($82 IIRC). They've also been making a concerted push to increase their market share, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them boost another couple dollars next year when Disney ticks.

KBF and MM are both about $20-$30 cheaper.

I remember years back when the discussion was over where they'd stop, and most of the estimates were right under the $100 ceiling until someone broke it... at which point it'd proliferate to other parks. I still have a feeling that is the future.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    They stop when we stop going.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast