Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

I haven't been priced out, per se, but I did relocate earlier in the year and haven't gone enough times to make having a premium AP worth it. In fact I'd probably have saved money by just buying day tickets for the days I've gone. As such, I'll probably renew because SO's pass will outlast mine by six months, but it might be time to step down in AP level for the first time.

We started buying passes in the late 80's as our children were born. We bought them off and on (mostly on) while the kids were growing up. Living in Long Beach a lot of their friends had passes and we would go on group trips and even do weekends at the resort hotels, many nights at $89 a night. As the kids left for college my husband and I would go together at times, but it was never his favorite outing. The last few years I would go with friends and occasionally my youngest daughter when she was home from college. This year I took a look at he planned closures, the friends I have who decided not to renew, the increasing crowds and, of course, the increasing prices and decided it wasn't a good financial decision. I've got myself a premium pass the last couple of years since I work for the school district and I wanted to be able to go especially around the Christmas holidays when I was off work. But I'm done for awhile. Maybe when grandkids start coming along? I'm missing not seeing the Halloween decorations this year and I know I'll miss it when the Christmas holidays come around, but I'm using the money for other things. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money for the crowds and closures.

• And Dad was my hero.

Put me in second blue teacup's camp.

Not priced out but would rather take mostly other vacations until they get their act together in a few very important ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    Put me in second blue teacup's camp.

Not priced out but would rather take mostly other vacations until they get their act together in a few very important ways.
    The thing is that I don't really think they have to "get their act together." I think that from the company perspective they have
    their act right where they want it.

They have steadily growing crowds of choice customers. Choice being the ones that come to the park and buy stuff to remember their trip, (the shops were like sardine cans last weekend after 6 PM). This is the future of Disneyland.

1. They will build a new Tomorrowland and it will be a huge success. The crowds will make last weekend's crowds look like a Monday on the first week of December 2000. These people don't care about the crowds as much as the diehards. They always heard about the infamous "lines at Disneyland." These newbies will come away with a very positive feeling and enough will actually buy an AP. And the cycle will repeat.

2. Monsters Inc Land will also be built and it will be a hit. I suspect that eventually both parks will be very close in attendance.

3. Prices will continue to rise as the demand for Potter type full re-creations are demanded by the public. Universal will ultimately pay a huge part (indirectly) in the Disneyland blueprint for future development.

I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes the company has already managed to raise the attendance number for "we are full" signs to come out. I've been in the park before at Christmas time when the park was closed and it never felt as crowded as last Saturday.

I'm realistic. I let my pass expire but I've already been back and bought a one day. Our family knows we will eventually renew but not when they "get their act together", but rather when we accept the new act.

• Sock Puppet

I haven't been priced out exactly, but rather Disneyland just isn't worth it to me anymore. They keep getting rid of the little things that make Disneyland special... the things that define what Disneyland is... or was. Seeing what the park is becoming makes me too sad, I no longer enjoy myself when I visit. So I will no longer be paying to enter the park.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
    ...I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes the company has already managed to raise the attendance number for "we are full" signs to come out. I've been in the park before at Christmas time when the park was closed and it never felt as crowded as last Saturday.
    Exactly. Disney's corporate management has Disneyland right where they want it -- vacuuming as much money from as many wallets as they can today, regardless of what it will do to the park's reputation tomorrow. Aggressively pushing ticketing schemes that turn the Disneyland experience into a sardine mosh pit for short-term profit, not caring what it will mean for the future. And convincing themselves that no matter how hard they squeeze their golden goose, it will never stop dropping cash in their bonus envelopes.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. Disney's corporate management has Disneyland right where they want it -- vacuuming as much money from as many wallets as they can today, regardless of what it will do to the park's reputation tomorrow. Aggressively pushing ticketing schemes that turn the Disneyland experience into a sardine mosh pit for short-term profit, not caring what it will mean for the future. And convincing themselves that no matter how hard they squeeze their golden goose, it will never stop dropping cash in their bonus envelopes.
    Once the customers get pissed off enough by the ridiculously high crowds, they'll want to leave and not spend their money there.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Uhm.

I started going to Disneyland very, very frequently in 1997. There's a Six Flags park around here (Mexico). I've been there 4 times ever since. I've been 11 times or more to DL. Do the math.

I could easily go to DL with $600 for a week-end. That would include food, air travel, park, hotel, car rental, souvenirs. No second gate. No downtown disney. Just the real Disneyland. The one my Grandma, mom and me used to visit. I'd visit with a couple of friends and we'd be kids for two days.

Fast forward to 2013. $750 or so will buy 3 Park Hoppers for 3 days. I'll need to pay close to $150 per day for souvenirs and food (if I'm lucky). Then, if we want to do the Blue Bayou or Ariel or Carthay theater dinner, we'll have to add close to $150 per day to that. Add shopping, airplane fares, hotel, etc. to that and I'd rather go twice a year (or three times) to a beach around here or a real historical place than visit Disneyland. Sure, Walt walked around the park. Sure, it's beautiful. Sure, it's the best theme park in the entire world. But I'm not willing to keep on paying the stupid prices they expect us to.

DL is far too expensive for whatever it gives us.

Sure, it's magical, unique, wonderful, beautiful. But riding the same attractions I did 16 years ago is no fun anymore. DCA is a joke to me. There haven't been any attractions that make it a must see. Universal's Harry Potter seems more and more cool as time goes by.

DL is a victim of its own reputation. I have been there tons of times, and frankly, its more of the same. Walt would have changed Pirates, Splash Mountain and Small world already. Current management is pretty cowardly about stuff. He knew he had to spend money to make money. He redid a big part of the park... what? 3 years after it opened? (Matterhorn, etc.). Current management would leave the park as is forever if they thought they'd pull the same crowds. We need something else - Walt redid Tomorrowland, built the Matterhorn, subs, tons more stuff while he was alive. The guys on charge right now are just happy about watching turnstiles fill up with more and more people.

I just realized something about going other places for vacations. My wife is also there. My son is there. The magic is there. I don't need Disneyland to feel the magic. Sorry, Walt Disney Company - I figured it out by myself. And it was because of your corporate greed. I'd have gone to DL every year for the rest of my life it if it wasn't for your stupid prices.

So this is the last year I'm visiting until things change. I already told my wife. She agrees. So, yeah. We are only three people. But I'd be surprised if plenty of people aren't thinking the same. We'll see.
    Last edited by fjhuerta; 10-20-2013 at 06:08 PM.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I am going to reiterate the same sentiment. I could easily afford the premium annual pass but why would I pay that much money just to stand in lines for hours on end? I literally have no desire to step a foot back into DL or DCA because I know the experience will not be worth the money. And I'm a guy that doesn't even care about the annual pass system in regards to whether it should stay or go.

Nope, I'm priced out and more importantly, crowded out. The value is no bueno.
    My thoughts as well.

I'm not priced out as much as I'm crowded out.

If the crowds were smaller (and even better, if there was still an off-season), I'd likely go 3 or 4 times a year rather than once a year. And with the ever-increasing crowds, once a year is beginning to be too much.

Mr. Wiggins is right though, management could not possibly care any less about me, you or anyone else; the one and only thing that matters is the size of their compensation package. Absolutely nothing else.

Got my flight, hotel, and rental car booked for December and all I have left are the park tickets. I can't wait for my first visit to DLR in two years and won't mind one bit that I won't have the parks all to myself. I know that's bad for business.

Wish you could all share the same excitement but maybe there's other things in the world to do and see... like WDW, TDR, or DLP.

My wife and I have had APs since the mid-90s, but we let ours expire earlier this month, with no plans to renew.

We live in north San Diego - it's about 1h 20m to the park. Our 5 year old started kindergarten last month. We have an 18 month old who does not want to sit in a stroller (he wants to walk!).

The last time I bought APs, was just before the 2012 price increase. So, we'd have to absorb two price increases this time around (I knew that when I did it). Bottom line, it will cost us around $1800 for the four of us (three passes) to go to DL for the year.

I've always considered our APs as our annual family vacation - just spread out over the entire year. But, when I consider all of the above, plus the idea that I'd like to do other things this year (take a trip somewhere, or do some home improvements) - it just didn't make sense to buy them right now.

Also - fatigue. I have to admit it. We're just warn out on DL. We need some time away to appreciate the park again. We want to miss it, and we just don't miss it right now.

• Selfie Expert

We bought deluxe APs this past year, it was our first year owning one, and we must have had a magical pass because we rarely hit very crowded days. We planned our visits during the week at the (apparently non-existent) off seasons, which the deluxe basically forces you to do anyway since the busiest days are blacked out, and very much enjoyed our visits with low to tolerable wait times and crowds.

We let our passes expire last month since we are expecting a baby, and it doesn't make financial sense to us since we won't be visiting often enough to make a pass worth the cost. Once we have kids old enough to enjoy the parks, we'll reconsider buying APs.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

We're in the same boat as most of the posters on here. Our last couple of trips have not really been magical enough to justify the enormous price increases. In fact even at the the old prices i wouldn't even find it worth it now with all the crowds and rides constantly going down. Even though we are west coast, its now basically the same practice to go to DW so that's our plan now. Still makes me sad, as i feel that DL is my second home.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Hasnt reached that point...yet. But we certainly dont go as often as we used to. Might have to get an AP again at this rate just to save money (as strange as that sound)
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Chief Troublemaker

For me, as I explained earlier, being priced out will mean exactly that. When I can no longer afford to pay 'cash' for my vacation but would have to charge it to a credit card. For me, the magic is still there despite crowds & some lack of Disney standards in maintenance. Of course, I only go once a year (or less) so I suppose it's easier for me to look the other way.

So many in this thread are putting it down more to 'bang for the buck' as it were, citing crowds, park upkeep, declining customer service, that sort of thing rather than just the financial aspect.

So, my question is (not to hijack too much). If Disney were to cut prices (I know, won't happen, this is purely hypothetical) would that make the crowds, lack of upkeep, declining customer service 'worth' putting up with? Or would it be the lack of that 'Disney Magic' that would still keep you away regardless of the fact that it would be financially affordable?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast