Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• I Love Disneyland

Re: Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

I do think DL is very expensive. I also think other family entertainment is very expensive. Whether it's sporting events, other theme parks, outdoor activities (sailing, whale watching, etc.) you choose to do, you are going to pay a lot for it. Of course there are cheaper things: camping, hang out at the beach, minor league sports that are much less expensive. But I don't think DL is out of line with other top notch entertainment. If you were going to DL because it was cheap, you were going for the wrong reason.

• Former Churro Jockey

Yeah, as others have said it's not that it's too expensive, but it's just not as fun right now due to crowds and poor maintanence on the rides. Truthfully it could be free and I wouldn't be that interested in going more than probably six times a year. But the idea behind the annual pass is that you go for shorter lengths of time (probably 3hrs would be my average). Now, there are plenty of times where I've gone and didn't even go on a single ride. Sometimes I go just for dinner (I love getting the corn chowder in a bread boulle on a cold, rainy day), or just to take my mind off of a long week. I don't mind there being long lines for the rides so much, but there are crowds everywhere. Even walking around the park is not as pleasant as it used to be. On a really bad day it can take several minutes just trying to get into Adventureland.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• I Love Disneyland

Big D, thanks for the reply. We live in Northern CA and visit the parks periodically. We always visit from early morning to almost closing. I understand the crowd thing. But as we get older we just roll with it and not let it get us down. There is still so much to see and do and we adjust our expectations with the crowds. We also know that if we don't get to do everything we can come back. It's still a great form of escapism for me. We visited last Saturday and it was crowded and still had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I am going to reiterate the same sentiment. I could easily afford the premium annual pass but why would I pay that much money just to stand in lines for hours on end? I literally have no desire to step a foot back into DL or DCA because I know the experience will not be worth the money. And I'm a guy that doesn't even care about the annual pass system in regards to whether it should stay or go.

Nope, I'm priced out and more importantly, crowded out. The value is no bueno.
    Exactamente!

• Foolish Mortal

I'm almost to the point of being Crowded Out as well. Complaining about Disneyland being crowded while you are there is like complaining about traffic while on the road, we are ALL part of the problem.

Yesterday my wife and I went for a few hours, from 11:45a.m. until about 3:45p.m.. We only went on Splash Mountain and rode the DLRR before heading over to DCA. Once in DCA we ate some greek food at the Boardwalk area, my wife went on King Triton's Carousel and then we watched It's Tough to be a Bug and headed out after getting an ice cream cone for Ghiradelli.

We too always just roll with the crowd, with the attitude of "we'll just go on that ride next time." But those next times are always just as busy as the previous time. I'd like to say that we go more for the ambiance of it all rather than to ride the rides. I find going in the evening time allows for a less stressful experience for us, as you are no longer battling the sun in addition to the long lines. Yesterday we talked about not renewing when our passes expire at the end of September. I've been an APH for 4 years in a row now, and she is going on her 9th year I believe.

To us it isn't about not returning until the magic is restored, because I don't think I will ever be able to pinpoint a moment that the magic will return. I do get that excited feeling when heading to the parks, and once you cross through that turnstile a sense of relief is felt, but then it is almost quickly taken away as you dodge your first stroller, or group of people walking 5 wide at an angle as you try to skirt around them.

As somebody who used to experience the "off season" , I cannot imagine what it is like to be a kid at Disneyland today. If you are less than 6' 2" tall then all you can see is people. People in every direction of the compass.

Yes, one can go for the ambiance of Disneyland but if you see nothing but other guests....

I can get that at the Airport, for free!

• Disneyland Dreamer

I must be in the minority. While a DLR trip is pretty expensive for us (we do the grand for lodging), each visit since 2010 has been better and better and better. Last trip, crowds were practically non-existent. Most rides were walk-on for us either by standby or strategic use of fastpass. Heck, I rode Calf Screamin' 12 times in a row walk-on... was looping on pirates...walk on.. Maybe I just have weird luck, but crowds have NOT been our problem. Could we do it for less than what we pay? Sure, but we love the grand, and at once every other year, once per year or as I intend next year, twice... its totally worth it. Check back in 10 years when the kids are older, but for now, we can't wait to go back and start thinking about the next trip on the drive home.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I haven't been priced out of Disneyland, but every time I see this thread, it reminds me of a sad moment during my most recent trip to Disneyland. I don't normally have sad moments when I am in the parks, but this one was due to something that I overheard. I was walking around the Rivers of America, and I dodged a women holding the hand of a child. I was headed for the stairs in that area when I heard the women make this comment. "We spent a lot of money for you to be at Disneyland, and why must you want to go back to the hotel".

I only heard that one sentence, and I did not turn around, or slow down in order to hear anymore conversation. However, I thought about it several times during my trip as I watched people with their children.

Some moments are priceless, but that moment stung my heart.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I must be in the minority. While a DLR trip is pretty expensive for us (we do the grand for lodging), each visit since 2010 has been better and better and better. Last trip, crowds were practically non-existent. Most rides were walk-on for us either by standby or strategic use of fastpass. Heck, I rode Calf Screamin' 12 times in a row walk-on... was looping on pirates...walk on.. Maybe I just have weird luck, but crowds have NOT been our problem. Could we do it for less than what we pay? Sure, but we love the grand, and at once every other year, once per year or as I intend next year, twice... its totally worth it. Check back in 10 years when the kids are older, but for now, we can't wait to go back and start thinking about the next trip on the drive home.
    Maybe us Arizonans have a different standard for crowds? Haha I just can't understand the claims that there is no off season when I took at least 6 trips in the past year with walk-on waits and minimal crowds.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland Dreamer

We traditionally go in late May, late October, and soon to be late February, and even doing ticketed events like MNSSHP, the crowds have always been low. Granted a few days at consistent times over and over isn't a good cross section of the year, but its never been overwhelming for us. We waited longer to see Merida than for any of the rides.

Some of it may be our choices of when to do what which helps us out. We by no means stick to certain lands, but get all over the park and seem to always find great wait times. Given we go in cooler months, Splash and Grizzly are usually great wait times, and when done later in the day are walk on (or even not bother to get out of the ride vehicles). We've been on Pirates when I swear we were the only people on the entire ride, surrounded by empty boats stacked up down in the ride because they were cycling them through so fast not waiting to load anybody. Call it luck, but given we always seem to have this happen, I'm just not buying that the park is busier than ever all the time.

Cost-wise, given top-lodging, top-food choices (C33/BB/CS/AG/etc), and some decent souvenirs, we run just about ~940/day all inclusive. For driving in from AZ in a gas-guzzling V8 swedish tank, paying for valet parking and lodgings at the most expensive property, eating at the most expensive locations in the parks, that's still a relative bargain for a family of 5. Are there better places to visit? Possibly. Are there better places to visit young kids will have such a good time? Hardly.

I took some family from out of town this summer and didn't think crowds were bad at all as long as we got there at opening. The good thing with so many locals is that most of them don't arrive until around 11am, so if you get there early most everything is walkon except for maybe RSR.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Maybe us Arizonans have a different standard for crowds? Haha I just can't understand the claims that there is no off season when I took at least 6 trips in the past year with walk-on waits and minimal crowds.
    The crowd issue has been a complaint for years now, and even back during my last visits in 2009 and 2010 people on here were complaining of no off season and crowds, and each time I went in both years (May 2009, May 2010, October 2010) for 4 days, 3 days, and 5 days, there was not what I would call crowds, not empty, but pretty much everything was walk on, or had less then a 10 minute wait.

We were never priced out, but the value just wasn't there when the premium pass went to $650. We decided to wait at least six months before renewing, thereby affectively making the pass 75% of its list price over the long haul. In the end, we ended up waiting closer to nine months to renew.

Honestly, we didn't miss it at all. We finally renewed when friends were coming into town and wanted to spend a few days with us in the park. We're glad to have the passes again, but it really wasn't hard to go without.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I agree with this. I've been there plenty of times when almost every ride in the park has been a walk-on. It's all a matter of planning.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    When the off season disappeared.
    ++++

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast