Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

I'm not priced out just yet. However, the day I can't take a trip for less than $1000 for myself will probably be the time I need to cool it for a bit.

My average share on the trips so far has been a little less than $800, including airfare. Over the course of the week I usually drop about $100 on food and stuff. That is a pretty comfortable budget for me, but if I had to start out at $1000 or more I couldn't do it. Not right now.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Singing Drinker

I let mine drop when I realized I could afford a full season Premium USH APs *and* tickets to the VIP Horror Nights for two on the cost of our Disney Premies with cash left over.

I'm likely to eventually return. I mean, it's nice having a park with an offseason, where the locals for the most part stay out in Citywalk. Fewer rides overall, which is part of why I'm likely to eventually relapse.

But then again, the new vision plan... and Harry Potter... it may take a while. I'm happy up the road, turns out
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Because California has so much more to offer that is a lot cheaper or even free.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    The crowd issue has been a complaint for years now, and even back during my last visits in 2009 and 2010 people on here were complaining of no off season and crowds, and each time I went in both years (May 2009, May 2010, October 2010) for 4 days, 3 days, and 5 days, there was not what I would call crowds, not empty, but pretty much everything was walk on, or had less then a 10 minute wait.
    Well, I'm going to guess it has to do with AP blackout dates. With my So Cal AP the past few years, I would tend to go either Friday night after work if the park was open until at least 11PM, or Sunday afternoon / evening. Many times I would check MouseWait during the day to see how things look, and see 15 - 30 min wait times on most rides, only to discover 60+ minute wait times when I go there. So I think the difference is that the park is always insanely crowded when APers are (A) not blacked out, and (B) off work. I'm going to test that theory next year. I gave up my AP last month, and next year I want to buy a ticket and go on a day when deluxe AP's are blocked out, and see if the lines are actually way shorter on those dates.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I'm going to guess it has to do with AP blackout dates. With my So Cal AP the past few years, I would tend to go either Friday night after work if the park was open until at least 11PM, or Sunday afternoon / evening. Many times I would check MouseWait during the day to see how things look, and see 15 - 30 min wait times on most rides, only to discover 60+ minute wait times when I go there. So I think the difference is that the park is always insanely crowded when APers are (A) not blacked out, and (B) off work. I'm going to test that theory next year. I gave up my AP last month, and next year I want to buy a ticket and go on a day when deluxe AP's are blocked out, and see if the lines are actually way shorter on those dates.
    I thought this was totally the case, until I was there this past Saturday. Only AP's not blocked out were Deluxe holders and the park was PACKED. We generally go on days where AP's are blocked (we are local but not holders) and this is the first time we've been in the park when it was that busy. Its just the two of us (no kids) and we usually put in an open to close day; we didn't this time, and still got a lot done, but with a history of the park being quiet, it was so weird to see it so busy.

What really drives me crazy is that, when I price out 6 days at DLR vs 6 days at WDW (park hoppers/on site resort included) it is LESS expensive to stay at WDW and more to do. Even though we'd never spend 6 days at DLR since we live 40 minutes away, it still surprises me that WDW is the better value.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    I thought this was totally the case, until I was there this past Saturday. Only AP's not blocked out were Deluxe holders and the park was PACKED. We generally go on days where AP's are blocked (we are local but not holders) and this is the first time we've been in the park when it was that busy. Its just the two of us (no kids) and we usually put in an open to close day; we didn't this time, and still got a lot done, but with a history of the park being quiet, it was so weird to see it so busy.
    Maybe this should be a different thread, but any current CM's on here that can say whether they can tell by the crowds whether it's an AP blockout day or not?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I remember about a year and a half ago when there was the first of the big price increases, many on this site were thrilled. They claimed that this high prices would make the crowds go down.

I lamented that if people choose to pay the money for the passes, they might end up coming more often to get their money's worth, or not have any money left for other entertainment and end up at the park.

Whatever the reason, the prices are up, the crowds remain, and we will be bidding farewell when our passes expire...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    I remember about a year and a half ago when there was the first of the big price increases, many on this site were thrilled. They claimed that this high prices would make the crowds go down.

I lamented that if people choose to pay the money for the passes, they might end up coming more often to get their money's worth, or not have any money left for other entertainment and end up at the park.

Whatever the reason, the prices are up, the crowds remain, and we will be bidding farewell when our passes expire...

That is pretty much what should happen, even a rational person's strategy: if they pay more for something, then they are going to make sure to get their money's worth. So, that means going to the parks 20 days instead of 12.

Yes, and some people don't renew. Seems that about 10% of AP'ers didn't renew (we're hearing "900,000" instead of "1,000,000" as the unofficial estimate).
    But if those that did renew end up going 25% more days, let's see, do some math in my head....90% of X times 125%...) that's 12.5% more guest-days than otherwise.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    That is pretty much what should happen, even a rational person's strategy: if they pay more for something, then they are going to make sure to get their money's worth. So, that means going to the parks 20 days instead of 12.

Yes, and some people don't renew. Seems that about 10% of AP'ers didn't renew (we're hearing "900,000" instead of "1,000,000" as the unofficial estimate).
    But if those that did renew end up going 25% more days, let's see, do some math in my head....90% of X times 125%...) that's 12.5% more guest-days than otherwise.
    I'd also be interested in seeing how the Disney AP retention efforts are working - they are VERY heavily working their "did not renew" list if my family experience is normal. I get at least 2-3 emails a month asking me to "come back to the magic" and such. It's having the opposite effect intended - they're annoying as all hell and not listening to the "unsubscribe" list apparently due to my past business relationship with Disney (the AP).
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Yep. The higher the AP price, the more that the remaining APers will visit to get their money's worth... and the less they'll tend to spend on food and merch (the prices of which Disney must increase, like those of the day tickets, to subsidize the discounted AP per-day prices).

As any owner of a once-premiere-but-now-declining neighborhood movie theater will tell you, "papering the house" with discount tickets to jack up the bottom line gets more butts in the seats, but also a drop in concessions sales as more people smuggle in their own snacks and drinks, and more wear-and-tear on the house (the cheaper the per-visit admission price, the greater the tendency for customers to treat the place as cheap). Pretty soon you start looking for ways to cut costs, like reducing maintenance, paying your staff less, and not booking as many first-run shows. In the end it's a vicious cycle where the house loses in more ways than one: a direct hit to your bottom line, a gradual erosion of loyal customers over the long haul as the word gets around that you're a "discount house," and an increase in the customer churn rate as an ever-increasing percent of your patrons are attracted to you because your per-visit price is cheap.

Disney Parks' beancounter-led management thinks they can have it both ways -- the mega-bodies of a locals discount house and the high prices of a premiere tourist resort. It's only a matter of time before both classes of customers get wise to the game.

Memo to Disney: listen to the canaries in the mine.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe that is why many AP'ers come to the park after dinner?

Note: not saying they shouldn't.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Maybe that is why many AP'ers come to the park after dinner?
    Cue: AP'ers saying, "Oh, I always buy XXX every visit, in fact sometime I come here just to shop for XXXX."

(lies.)
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

•   
    • Minion

I don't know about the crowding issues. Since I was a kid it's always been crowded IMO. Now my history only goes back to the early 80s so maybe the 70s were mellow I dunno. As far as being priced out I will never be priced out I have too much fun there and will find a way to budget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yep. The higher the AP price, the more APers visit... and the less they tend to spend on food and merch (the prices of which are increased, like those of the day tickets, to subsidize the discounted AP per-day prices).

Disney Parks' beancounter-led management thinks they can have it both ways -- the mega-bodies of a locals discount house and the high prices of a premiere tourist resort. It's only a matter of time before both classes of customers get wise to the game.
    I doubt food prices subsidize low ticket prices, AP's, or anything else. Disney is not an airline in the 90's, the better analogy if it is a problem of charging one segment of your business more to make up for losses elsewhere.

Disney is not carrying excess capacity anywhere (even at its hotels) that it must subsidize with higher prices anywhere else. As such, it is in the very envious position of pricing each segment of its business to make a profit.

As for your imaginary Disney customer, how is it that he or she is a victim of discount admission prices? Because they have to pay high food and souvenir prices? Any customer who thinks like that knows exactly what kind of game they are playing. After all, aren't these the same people who buy Deluxe AP's and visit the resort 315 days a year? How could that customer be a victim?

Of course, there is no such customer. And, even the ones that think they are gaming the system by going as many times as they need to make the price of an AP worthwhile aren't cheating Disney or anyone else? AP's are a market segment that exists because Disney wants on average to increase the ticket price it gets per person. As long as Disney gets that premium on average, there is no game being played (at least by the so-called beancounters).

• Selfie Expert

Regarding AP blockout days being less crowded - that may be the case for lower passes, but if you honestly look at the Deluxe blockout days those are the days that are a guaranteed crowded time - holidays, summers, saturday during peak season. I would think those would be some of the absolute worst days to go.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast