Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    I would agree that the AP system a bad deal.

It's a great deal for buyers.
    It's maybe a great deal for TDA management.

It's a bad deal for the park.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    That wasn't at all the point of my post. The point was and is that even though Disney and many of its customers are adamant that the AP program as it is currently administered is a win-win that works to the benefit of both the company and its customers, it is in fact a lose-lose that in the long term works for the benefit of neither.

The evidence is present now.
    I thought the price increases are evidence that people desire it to reduce attendance, which hasn't worked so what's the point?

The park isn't affordable for many. So....

The park upkeep is fine...

People are spending money....

I fail to see the problem.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It's a great deal for buyers.
    It's maybe a great deal for TDA management.

It's a bad deal for the park.
    The park? I don't get it.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The park? I don't get it.
    If you don't care about the park, then I agree: you don't get it.

Park upkeep is not fine, btw. Read what people are posting about.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If you don't care about the park, then I agree: you don't get it.

Park upkeep is not fine, btw. Read what people are posting about.
    In this tread or other threads? People are complaining about the cost here.

I think the park upkeep is fine.
    Last edited by StevenW; 10-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

In this tread or other threads. People are complaining about the cost here.

I think the park upkeep is fine.
    It wont be if crowding levels continue to eat away at the 'off season' that is so crucial for major maintenance and upkeep

Crowds are at an all time high, and prices continue to rise, supply and demand.

The demand is artificial as the AP program can get bodies in the door at minimal cost, that $300-$600 dollars they collect is a one time deal, thats nothing to say the one time premium they receive from a true 'tourist' family of 4 paying thousands of dollars for a vacation.

Yes, both may/will purchase merchandise or food, my bets on the vacation family paying more than the AP.

The crowding of the AP crowd ends up crowding out that lucrative cash cow of the tourist family that keeps paying as they visit opposed to APs who eventually 'even the money' of their AP by comparing attendance frequency to how much the pass cost via comparison to one day ticket (or even discounted tickets, multi day hoppers etc).

So both are competing for space, APs are flowing, tickets are rising because Disney knows that demand is there for those who still buy a single ticket (and yes, even though Disneyland is considered the 'local park' its still a major world travel destination).

There will be a break point eventually when crowding due to ever increasing APS will make the single day ticket 'too much' via combination of crowding and ticket price, and the price of the ticket will fall out and the AP program wont be able to make up the loss of those ticket sales.

I dont think Disneyland was designed with the frequency of locals visiting as they do in mind
    Last edited by Wren; 10-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    It wont be if crowding levels continue to eat away at the 'off season' that is so crucial for major maintenance and upkeep
    And the Big Thunder Mountain is still closed for maintenance. Maintenance is kept up. The off-season exists despite the crowds. The difference is a matter of big crowds or huge crowds.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

And the Big Thunder Mountain is still closed for maintenance. Maintenance is kept up. The off-season exists despite the crowds. The difference is a matter of big crowds or huge crowds.
    If its mandatory maintenance, they'll do it when they have to regardless of when it is.

And October isnt off-season, not anymore, its the beginning of the Holiday Season now which normally began near Thanksgiving.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

I'm not priced out yet - I've gone enough times that I know how to save money, but the good o' days of the "off season" are gone (that's real disappointing). I recall planning trips around the busy season and not needing to purchase an AP. Now and days, my trips consist of strategic planning calendaring in dinner, rides, shows and squeezing as many activities in the amount of days I'm there. I don't like feeling like "I missed out" on an activity, which leads to more planning for my next trip to get done as much as I can.

• Monorail Junkie

We are not priced out yet either, but we are starting to limit our times. We used to go every year at Thanksgiving. but now we did our big trip during the summer to save money for Christmas. But we miss the holiday theme now. So it is a give and a take.

• Singing Drinker

I would like to point out that the use of the park for babysitting purposes predates the surge in APs by at least a few years and *DEFINITELY* predates the payment plan by decades.

OC's filled with wealthy communities long conditioned to think of a Disneyland AP - regardless of price - as a cheaper form of childcare. I've been seeing that since I was one of the kids hanging out in Tomorrowland back in the '80s.

Even getting rid of APs entirely would likely just result in a large body of kids paying daily or using the local discounts they used to use to lure people in for evening visits.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I feel like a lot of these problems would be solved with removing the "tier" system with APs. Just one pass: free parking, with some blockout dates equivalent to Deluxe now; (maybe even have Dland blocked some days, but DCA open, and vice-versa; similar to CM MEP), no monthly payment option.

• Banned User

Yes, both may/will purchase merchandise or food, my bets on the vacation family paying more than the AP.

The crowding of the AP crowd ends up crowding out that lucrative cash cow of the tourist family that keeps paying as they visit opposed to APs who eventually 'even the money' of their AP by comparing attendance frequency to how much the pass cost via comparison to one day ticket (or even discounted tickets, multi day hoppers etc).
    The tourist is not crowded out. No one is turned away. The park doesn't close except for certain days around Christmas time, and then, most APs are blocked.

This argument about whether Disney missed out on tourist spending versus local AP crowding is bogus. APs on aggregate is spending lots of money. Imagine a tourist spending 4 to 7 days on vacation to Disneyland, which could be typical for the smaller resort. A local can come to Disneyland once a month for a year for 12 trips, while spending money on souvenirs and meals. On aggregate, there is more money from the local. Disneyland can certainly make more money if they own more hotel resorts, but that is another issue entirely.

I find it strange that so many are arguing that Disney should milk more money out of vacation dollars when the money from locals is no different. Anyways, money given to Disney is no assurance they will spend the money on upkeep. They are different budgeted costs. The best way to indicate your displeasure is to NOT go. And maybe its okay to not eat in the parks and buy souvenirs. I don't change my habits merely because I'm on vacation. I'm still cheap when I'm traveling.

• Banned User

If its mandatory maintenance, they'll do it when they have to regardless of when it is.

And October isnt off-season, not anymore, its the beginning of the Holiday Season now which normally began near Thanksgiving.
    You no longer agree with your previous statement? "It wont be if crowding levels continue to eat away at the 'off season' that is so crucial for major maintenance and upkeep"

• Senior Minion

...This argument about whether Disney missed out on tourist spending versus local AP crowding is bogus. APs on aggregate is spending lots of money.
    The Al Lutz MiceAge updates have reported Disney management's concern about how much less APers spend on food and merchandise relative to tourists, and how much more that APers contribute to the overcrowding of the DLR.

There's simply no question that Disneyland was not designed to withstand a continual assault by a million locals whose Annual Passports can get them entry for pennies on the dollar virtually anytime they wish. There's no question that the AP program, as currently implemented by Disney, is out of control and is contributing to the decline in perceived value of a visit to Disneyland that is being experienced by many.

"Bogus?" Thousand of posts on this forum over the last eight years, documenting the AP program's impact on Disneyland's infrastructure and value to the customer, say otherwise.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast