Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

• Multi-decade CM

Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

For those of you who are "priced out of Disneyland" (whatever you consider that phrase to mean), I would like to ask what brought you to that decision?

At first glance, that question seems easy. "I can't afford it anymore." But I want you to think a bit more deeply than that. The ticket price isn't the only thing that factors into our decisions. For example, some people would say that $50 is too much, but if the Electrical Parade was there, they might think $50 would be a fair price.

So I want to ask you where was your line when it came to pulling the plug on Disneyland for you? (Lines, especially these kinds, are never straight.)

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - A cat knows your every thought. It doesn't care. But it knows.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Priced out of Disneyland? Why?

I started out as a somewhat local (San Diego) and would go twice a year when tickets were pretty affordable. Later on I got an AP, and compared to now it was a decent amount for one of the lower level AP's. Currently, I live too far from the resort to make going frequently even worth it to my pocketbook. I only live in Northern California but when you factor in flight, transportation to/from hotel, hotel accommodations, tickets, food....oy vey I'm getting a headache thinking about it! I get the opportunity to visit now only when I go home to visit family and if I have saved enough to go for only one day. With driving, a one day park hopper and food I'm looking at around $200 for just one day!! Twice a year seems doable for me, but I wish I lived closer so that I could get an AP and my trips wouldn't be so pricey.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Hooterville, USA

When the off season disappeared.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

It isn't so much "priced out" for me, but more about comparing the cost to other things I'd like to do. A week in Hawaii versus an annual pass.

I'll probably still go to the park once a year, but I'd rather spend the annual pass money on something more substantial.

I just am not willing to pay for airfare, hotels, food, park tickets etc, when I can take another trip somewhere else that costs a lot less, a 5 day pass to Disneyland is nearly a weeks wage for me, and its just not worth a weeks wage to me.

• Chief Troublemaker

I haven't been priced out 'yet'. But I do know that I will never go into debt for a Disneyland vacation (or any vacation, actually). As long as I can do DL 'my way' (staying onsite is a must) without having to put the costs on a credit card, then I'll continue to get my Disney fix, probably once a year.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

The annual pass works best for me, then I can go for a few hours, meet friends or stop when running work errands
    it is hard for me to take an entire day and I prefer to not be tied to a day if it becomes too crowded, or I just get tired....

but... the annual pass has now reached the price of the refrigerator (and too many other anticipated expenses) I so seriously need....
    I'll be skipping next year unless I win the lottery
    and too many friends can no longer afford

I don't have any negative feelings about the prices
    I can only imagine what it costs to run the park, I suspect a lot of people who do not have a business have no idea, and mine probably falls short of the reality of the ever escalating costs

it has just, like so many other things, moved beyond my budget
    hopefully I'll be able to remedy that eventually....

I'm not priced out; Disneyland is still an easily affordable vacation destination for us.

Our concern is more regarding the value of the experience versus the cost. The endless flood of annual passholders after a certain point of each day, and the disappearance of any sort of real off-season (for the same reason) has precipitated a crisis of perceived value of the Disneyland experience for us... It's jarring and cheapens the experience to be "on vacation" while surrounded by blasé, bored locals paying pennies on the dollar because Disney wants "butts in the seats" (apologies to Whoopi Goldberg).
    Last edited by second blue teacup; 10-19-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• Tourist

My situation is the same as second blue teacup. I'm not priced out yet, but my last several visits haven't been quite as much fun overall because of the crowds. We're tourists from Northern California, and we try to plan ahead to schedule a vacation when most of the attractions are open, but attendance isn't too bad. It's getting more difficult to do that.

During our recent vacations, we always had a great time each morning when the parks weren't crowded. But by early afternoon, it got so packed it was often difficult to have fun. The contrast was amazing.

A good example is Carsland and Radiator Springs Racers. We had two mornings of early entry, and were among the first in line at the gates. We had a great time on both of those mornings. But when we returned later in the day, it was so crowded it was a completely different experience.

• Indiana Scott

If DLR were and economic value it would be an easy choice but there are just way too many other vacation destinations available that are no more (or less) expensive. With the corporate mindset and poor maint. that pervades the park these days, it's just not worth what it used to be. And the crowds are a big part of it too. It's no fun standing in line all day.
    Disney has got to try harder.

It's just gotten to that "uncomfortable feeling" for us. We're not priced out just yet; in fact I'll bet if we really wanted to we could always find a way.

But it's like imagine you just loooooove the slice of pie at your favorite restaurant. . You buy it, eat it and enjoy it and have for years. Then one day you realize that that same slice of pie you've been eating now cost what you used to pay for an entire meal, $25. Sure it's the same pie you always loved (although they added a few sprinkles on it you don't really care about) and you can afford the price, now each bite you take just doesn't give the same pleasure even though it's the exact same thing; it just feels uncomfortable...

Some of the new things they've added at DLR are very nice, but we're now paying double what we used to, just to hang out in the Court of Angels. Oh, wait....

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    I'm not priced out; Disneyland is still an easily affordable vacation destination for us.

Our concern is more regarding the value of the experience versus the cost. The endless flood of annual passholders after a certain point of each day, and the disappearance of any sort of real off-season (for the same reason) has precipitated a crisis of perceived value of the Disneyland experience for us... It's jarring and cheapens the experience to be "on vacation" while surrounded by blasé, bored locals paying pennies on the dollar because Disney wants "butts in the seats" (apologies to Whoopi Goldberg).
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    But it's like imagine you just loooooove the slice of pie at your favorite restaurant. . You buy it, eat it and enjoy it and have for years. Then one day you realize that that same slice of pie you've been eating now cost what you used to pay for an entire meal, $25.
    I'm local and identify with the "sticker shock" posts. I could have bought the $25 piece of pie last January (when my premium pass expired) but it was $19.23 when I bought it last year so I passed. I might bite next year, even though the price is now $25.77. I like the pie, it's best at times when the restaurant is empty but I can find something to enjoy about it even when the restaurant is crowded.

I *did* go back this year for the 24-hour event on a full-price one-day-one-park ticket (Disneyland, of course), which cost a "pie-adjusted $3.35" which, hmm, doesn't seem as bad as the $87 it actually cost.

I am going to reiterate the same sentiment. I could easily afford the premium annual pass but why would I pay that much money just to stand in lines for hours on end? I literally have no desire to step a foot back into DL or DCA because I know the experience will not be worth the money. And I'm a guy that doesn't even care about the annual pass system in regards to whether it should stay or go.

Nope, I'm priced out and more importantly, crowded out. The value is no bueno.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    When the off season disappeared.
    This. I am a teacher so already limited in when we can go. But in the not to distant past there were times when the park was quite pleasant even on weekends. There was simply a tipping point where crowds and price combined to have us decide to quit for awhile when our passes expired in May.

We did cave in last weekend and drove over for the day and found that although we still had fun, the crowds were actually worse than any summer day we have experienced. By mid-afternoon the line for the train in NOS was out of the station and all the way to the front of French Market where it mixed in with the line for HM and POTC. Simply crazy. It was interesting watching the cast members trying to move Jenny McCarthy through the crowds to get to HM.

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast