Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Re: Bad Encounter with Moodswinging CM at 20th Century Music Co. on Main St.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo
    she is correct. an item must be sold at whatever the rpice tag represents.
    Of course if this is the only piece of several with that price the clrek has the option of verifying it.
    This happened to me a while back at "LeBat en Rouge" in NOS. I was buying the Maleficent Big Fig and it was marked $135 (the floor sample on the shelf) but rang up at the register as $150. After some flustered CM interaction they sold it to me for $135, minus my PAP discount.

To their credit, I didn't have to insist, they knew the rules and charged me the price it was marked. On my way out of the park I stopped by Disneyana and saw that they were marked correctly at $150 on Main Street. Actually, I think this was a case of a price increase... the first big figs were sold for $135 and then the price went up to $150 across the board. The one at LeBat just had an old sticker on it.
    --Jonathan

• Banned User

Angry Re: Bad Encounter with Moodswinging CM at 20th Century Music Co. on Main St.

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings
    I had been eyeing this Art Of Disneyland book for months that I had spotted at Disneyana and a few other DLR stores. I'd already bought Disneyland: Then, Now, and Forever, and loved it. Art of Disneyland had all this great concept art, but at $75 it just seemed a bit pricey for what it was (not that I'm against paying a lot for a good book - I bought Disneyland Paris: From Sketch To Reality for about $100).

Nevertheless, all summer long and into the fall, on every visit to DL I would stop into Disneyana on my way out to consider buying the book. I noticed that they had stacks and stacks of them. I figured that the price was really too high and they probably weren't selling too well.

One night, I stopped by Disneyana as usual and noticed that the price sticker on the back of the book had been replaced with a $50 tag. Yes! The price had dropped from $75 down to $50 - that's 33% off for you percentage freaks! This sorta confirmed my earlier theory, and I was now ready to buy it. But all the copies that were at Disneyana weren't up to my standards - most of them had curled dustjacket flaps from people checking out the book.

So I went a couple doors down into the 20th Century Music Co. shop. They had a nice, clean copy, and all their books had also been re-tagged with the $50 sticker. I took it to the counter to buy. The CM at the counter gave me a huge smile when she saw the book in my hands and said, "Ooh, you made a great choice!" I replied with a smile, "Oh yeah, I've been wanting this book ever since I saw it in July, and now that it's $50 I gotta get it! I had a feeling it would drop in price."

The look on her face totally changed right after I said that. The smile was replaced with an angry, suspicious look, and she said, "Well, I'm not sure that the price has changed."

"Umm, excuse me?" I said.

"This can't be right," she said. I started to feel really uncomfortable. In a matter of seconds we had gone from "You made a great choice!" to something kinda like an accusation of price switching. I have worked in retail - at a big record store called Amoeba Music in Hollywood - so I know a little something about price switching. But I also know a little something about not making your customer feel like a criminal without knowing that they have committed a crime - which I certainly had not.

So it took about 5-10 minutes as she consulted with another CM (who was a lot nicer, but was not aware of the price change either), and went to the shelf and looked at the back of every book - which sure enough had the new $50 price tag. She finally concluded that the price change was legitimate but was absolutely rude and downright nasty with me the rest of the transaction. She said little to me, and gave me no smiles. It made me feel really bad.

I kinda got the vibe that she was most likely a big DL fan too (along with being a CM), and she was happier about the book than about a customer. But what kind of DL CM would treat somebody like this? It wasn't my fault that the price changed! It was extremely disconcerting.
    UGH! I hate when CMs working at that shop are in the most rotten moods there! I can relate to your experience, American Stings, especially when I saw that they had re-issues of older Disneyland/Buena Vista LPs on CD. I expressed my enthusiasm over it and the CM was oblivious to it all as if it was nothing. As for the price, they should have sold it to you regardless and still provided you with the best service ever!

BTW, I LOVE shopping at Amoeba Music in Hollywood as it is the Disneyland of Media!

• CM for 4 years!

I don't necessarily know that it's the LAW to follow signage (ie incorrect sale sign, outdated price tag), so much as a customer courtesy?
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

For some reason, the music shop is the only place in all DLR property where I consistenly encounter BAD CMs! How weird! If it isn't their bad attitude, it's their lack of knowledge of what's in that room. I've been in there when guests request certain titles and they say no, we don't have that, only for me to go pull one off the shelf, hand it to the guest, and piss off the CM. I'm clueless as to why it keeps happening, and just in that one small store!

• Hooterville, USA

I'm with Melmel on this one. I don't think there is a law about stickers. Now on the other hand, why is this young lady being chastised for doing her job? Maybe there has been a problem with sticker switch and she was told to look for it. I would give her the benefit of doubt and go on and enjoy the rest of my day. Do we really need to report everyone that isn't perfect? I have yet to encounter a CM who was anything but great to me. I try to go every week, so I run into many CMs. Not to say this one wasn't, but I've never seen one. Anywho, that's my take.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The one, the only...

I think that it is so telling that the CM was shocked to find that Disney might be discounting something. I can hear what the CM is thinking, "Oh, My God, We can't sell anything at a discount! That is impossible. We only overcharge."

It should have been a wonderful experience. After all, it was a book you were looking to get. It is sad that they could not rejoice with you.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    I'm with Melmel on this one. I don't think there is a law about stickers.
    Actually, it is a law; it's to prevent fraud. So stores cannot advertise/display one price and secretly scan a higher price at the register. I think the laws were enacted when barcodes/UPC's replaced actual prices marked on merchandise (as we all know many stores, such as grocery stores, don't have prices, just barcodes).

Now on the other hand, why is this young lady being chastised for doing her job?
    It's not the fact that she confirmed the price as correct ("her job"), it's the purported attitude she displayed during the transaction that many are "chastising" her for. No doubt she's being held to a higher standard because Disneyland is supposed to be known for customer service and CM friendliness. If this happened at Wal-Mart, it wouldn't even be surprise.
    --Jonathan

• Senior Minion

Whatever her justification was for this, her manners were lacking to the point of abhorrent, and she should be severely chastised for this interaction. I would have been in her leads face, and walked straight over to City Hall afterwards. It's simply uncalled for.

I say the next time she works there, we should all go in about every five minutes in turn and ask her if she has the Song of the South DVD. Or at least until little flecks of foam form at the corners of her mouth.

• Sock Puppet

She should be dragged out of the store by her heels and hung from the highest spire atop Sleeping Beauty's Castle, and pummeled with churros.

Hey, we needed a giggle in this thread.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Whatever her justification was for this, her manners were lacking to the point of abhorrent, and she should be severely chastised for this interaction. I would have been in her leads face, and walked straight over to City Hall afterwards. It's simply uncalled for.

I say the next time she works there, we should all go in about every five minutes in turn and ask her if she has the Song of the South DVD. Or at least until little flecks of foam form at the corners of her mouth.
    Chill. She's someone daughter and your resolve is far from friendly. I hope you are kidding and are being sarcastic.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I hope you are kidding and being sarcastic, because Wotan clearly was.

Anyone who would defend the behavior of a sales person as rude as this one was reported to be would doubtless give similar service. Unfortunately, courteous customer service is quickly becoming a thing of the past, along with counting back change.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Chill. She's someone daughter and your resolve is far from friendly. I hope you are kidding and are being sarcastic.

• insufferable know-it-all

Yeah, she was rude, but eh, give her the benefit of the doubt. At least she shows a desire to do her job correctly

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Traveler to the south

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    I don't necessarily know that it's the LAW to follow signage (ie incorrect sale sign, outdated price tag), so much as a customer courtesy?
    Its not actually a law but if there is a problem with pricing in a store you need to contact the department of weights and measures...I worked at Old Navy where prices go up and down all the time and we had the department of weights and measures there all the time to make sure we weren't doing anything hinky.
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    Actually, it is a law; it's to prevent fraud. So stores cannot advertise/display one price and secretly scan a higher price at the register. I think the laws were enacted when barcodes/UPC's replaced actual prices marked on merchandise (as we all know many stores, such as grocery stores, don't have prices, just barcodes).

It's not the fact that she confirmed the price as correct ("her job"), it's the purported attitude she displayed during the transaction that many are "chastising" her for. No doubt she's being held to a higher standard because Disneyland is supposed to be known for customer service and CM friendliness. If this happened at Wal-Mart, it wouldn't even be surprise.
    Macy's and a few other stores got into trouble on this one. This was on 20/20 I believe. They would scan a tag that was supposed to be marked down and customers were getting the full price.
    Doom hit it right on the money. (no pun intended) What the price is on the tag, is the price that should be honored. Customer should always be right.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    Thanks for backing me up on this DOOM BGI ....

Where I work .. we have to honor what the price tag says. Customers can take legal actions against retail establishments for basically what you just said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast