Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Bad Encounter with Moodswinging CM at 20th Century Music Co. on Main St.

I had been eyeing this Art Of Disneyland book for months that I had spotted at Disneyana and a few other DLR stores. I'd already bought Disneyland: Then, Now, and Forever, and loved it. Art of Disneyland had all this great concept art, but at $75 it just seemed a bit pricey for what it was (not that I'm against paying a lot for a good book - I bought Disneyland Paris: From Sketch To Reality for about $100).

Nevertheless, all summer long and into the fall, on every visit to DL I would stop into Disneyana on my way out to consider buying the book. I noticed that they had stacks and stacks of them. I figured that the price was really too high and they probably weren't selling too well.

One night, I stopped by Disneyana as usual and noticed that the price sticker on the back of the book had been replaced with a $50 tag. Yes! The price had dropped from $75 down to $50 - that's 33% off for you percentage freaks! This sorta confirmed my earlier theory, and I was now ready to buy it. But all the copies that were at Disneyana weren't up to my standards - most of them had curled dustjacket flaps from people checking out the book.

So I went a couple doors down into the 20th Century Music Co. shop. They had a nice, clean copy, and all their books had also been re-tagged with the $50 sticker. I took it to the counter to buy. The CM at the counter gave me a huge smile when she saw the book in my hands and said, "Ooh, you made a great choice!" I replied with a smile, "Oh yeah, I've been wanting this book ever since I saw it in July, and now that it's $50 I gotta get it! I had a feeling it would drop in price."

The look on her face totally changed right after I said that. The smile was replaced with an angry, suspicious look, and she said, "Well, I'm not sure that the price has changed."

"Umm, excuse me?" I said.

"This can't be right," she said. I started to feel really uncomfortable. In a matter of seconds we had gone from "You made a great choice!" to something kinda like an accusation of price switching. I have worked in retail - at a big record store called Amoeba Music in Hollywood - so I know a little something about price switching. But I also know a little something about not making your customer feel like a criminal without knowing that they have committed a crime - which I certainly had not.

So it took about 5-10 minutes as she consulted with another CM (who was a lot nicer, but was not aware of the price change either), and went to the shelf and looked at the back of every book - which sure enough had the new $50 price tag. She finally concluded that the price change was legitimate but was absolutely rude and downright nasty with me the rest of the transaction. She said little to me, and gave me no smiles. It made me feel really bad.

I kinda got the vibe that she was most likely a big DL fan too (along with being a CM), and she was happier about the book than about a customer. But what kind of DL CM would treat somebody like this? It wasn't my fault that the price changed! It was extremely disconcerting.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Bad Encounter with Moodswinging CM at 20th Century Music Co. on Main St.

You should have got her name and filed a complaint at City Hall. They don't take kindly to CM's being rude to guests. From what I hear, there's a noose hanging from the highest yardarm of the Wicked Wench, for just such a cast member.

• Sock Puppet

No excuse for her attitude whatsoever. If she was unaware of the price drop before you mentioned it, there was a better, more friendly way to doublecheck it and make sure that it was correct, whatever the reason. She sounds like someone who judges people by their wallet. Such people aren't needed at Disneyland and never were.

• Minion

She should also be aware ... doesn't matter if the price tag was correct or not .... all retail establishments MUST honor whatever the sticker says. It's the law! Whether the price was a mistake or not!

• CM for 4 years!

The trick in retail in working with a situation like this is saying, "Wow! Really, the price went down?! I've been wanting to get that book for a while. I'll go grab one too, do you mind?" And then just run and grab one, double check, and then check out the guest once you've been assured yourself that the price is correct. You maintain a friendly composure, plus you seem excited about DIsney product. Working retail ain't easy, and working retail at Disney much be ten times harder, but there's always a DISNEY way to deal with things like this.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

I would have taken her to the side, told her that you did not appreciate her rude and nasty behavior and when your friend __Karla__ ( me) came there that she would hear it from her for being so rude to you!! let me at her, tell me her name,, no one treats you this way!!!! I am osrry you were miss treated, there is no call for it!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    She should also be aware ... doesn't matter if the price tag was correct or not .... all retail establishments MUST honor whatever the sticker says. It's the law! Whether the price was a mistake or not!
    So what do you do in the case of shrink? Someone wants something and steals the tag from one piece of merchandise and sticks it on another. There are a lot of thieves in retail. The clerk was doing her job.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    I have worked in retail in the past, and to the best of my knowlage there is no law that makes a retailer sell a item at a lower price if it is a mistake. if I am wrong could you please tell me the california law in question?

• Minion

uhhhh .. hello ....... I work in retail myself .......... and there are "regulations"!

Case closed!
    Last edited by Escapé; 01-29-2006 at 12:59 PM.

• Minion

And if you know your job well .. you can tell when someone attempted to graph an inproper tag on to another item.

Disneyland on the other hand ... I'm sure is a whole different ball of wax .. being a theme park with MILLIONS of people .... I bet these scenarios play out like an amplifier at 1000%!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    The trick in retail in working with a situation like this is saying, "Wow! Really, the price went down?! I've been wanting to get that book for a while. I'll go grab one too, do you mind?"
    HaHa, this just reminded me of that "Target checkout lady" on SNL who keeps grabbing stuff and saying "Are there any more of these??" and then just runs off to get one for herself!

But as for the CM in question, that was absolutely wrong and unprofessional. I would have reported them.
    --Jonathan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHearts
    So what do you do in the case of shrink? Someone wants something and steals the tag from one piece of merchandise and sticks it on another. There are a lot of thieves in retail. The clerk was doing her job.
    your right, shewas, but to be snotty to a buyer, thatsnot right. I think she could have been kinder and said, humm the price went down, thats great, but let me double check ok. and with a smile. does it hurt to smile and be kind?

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

if her attitude had been better, I'm sure the OP would not have had a problem with her checking to make sure the price was correct. There is no reason to make a customer feel like a criminal and a qucik check would have comfirmed that without ruining the guest experience.

I would also have reported her to City Hall.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Namaste and Good Luck

Being a Stores lead I can say that the only time we're told about prices changing is when the 50% Off All X-mas Merch. signs are put out. We usually find out by actually ringing an item up when the price has changed. (The Yoda and Mickey set started at $10.00....went up to $15.00 and are now selling for $20.00.) We found out by ringing one up and being shocked by the price. Had I been the CM, I would have rung the item up (looking at the name of the item that rung up on the register), gotten a visual description of you (just in case), then asked the stock lead to look the price up on the computer. Then I would have been relieved when I found out that the price was correct. I had a CM once say "Do you want to pay for any other merch. that is in your bag there?" And we invited the complaint from City Hall. Next time ask for their lead.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

she is correct. an item must be sold at whatever the rpice tag represents.
    Of course if this is the only piece of several with that price the clrek has the option of verifying it.

Also lets say that the item was on sale and someone forgot to change all the price tags or remove the sale sign. The item must then be sold at the sale price. You could deal with the person that was suppose to change the item later.

the same goes when buying anything at markets. If the sale rpice is still on an item or the sale sign is still on the shelve then the store is obligated to sale you the item at the sale price.

either way the CM handled this incorrectly. Most people would have been glad that a guest was excited to pay for something that had been discounted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast