• Former Churro Jockey

Iron Man Roller Coaster

So I was thinking about the rumor about Innoventions being turned into an Iron Man ride, and I was wondering what that would look like. My first thought was something like a hanging roller coaster like the hanging Superman roller coaster that is at a few Six Flags parks. However, the thought occured to me last night that what would really be awesome was if they took the concept of Soarin and made that into more of a thrill ride. I'd be really interested to see what Imagineering can do with a next generation kind of Soarin where each seat had it's own movement rather then a whole row of seats, and making it much more intense. I think it might have to be some kind of gyroscopic type of ride to allow for full, fluid movement, and then maybe even have a small track that allows it to move forward a few feet when you are supposed to be flying foward or down, and backward when you are supposedt to be flying up. I think it would be too challenging to design a ride where the guest is supposed to be Iron Man, so I imagine the story would be something along the lines of we're all in Iron Man training school, and in the middle of training, something goes horribly wrong, and Iron Man himself shows up to lead us to saftey / victory.

The other thought that I had was building an enclosed, fully indoor hanging Superman-style roller coaster with a digital screen all around you (like King Kong) where it basically makes a tube that surrounds the track at all times. However, it seems like that would be far, far too expensive to maintain.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Re: Iron Man Roller Coaster

I'm pretty sure the Iron Man attraction was not to be a coaster.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Monorail Junkie

I think innoventions is going away completely isn't it? becoming the building for the Speeder bike ride.

Latest rumors are the Innoventions building is going to be housing the queue for the Star Wars speeder bikes. I understand why (it's going to have one hell of a line), but also a shame for such a waste of useful space for an attraction.

I'd imagine an Iron Man attraction working best as something similar to Forbidden Journey. A coaster wouldn't be able to provide a story that Tony Stark would deserve.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    I'd imagine an Iron Man attraction working best as something similar to Forbidden Journey. A coaster wouldn't be able to provide a story that Tony Stark would deserve.
    It'd be *possible* but difficult and would require rethinking of the basics of the ride concept. You'd need at the very minimum a strong show building start and likely finale, and would probably be looking at 3D movie projection built along with practical effects and the like.

I think to do things well enough to do the title justice you'd be looking at a Kuka motion arm with "stand up" seating configuration a la stand up coasters combined with an integrated movie and set experience such as Transformers over at Universal. You'd be able to keep the guests in whatever position you wanted - you could mount screens under, over, wherever called for and the combination of the motion based arm on a track with convincing simulator motion could cover the rest of the thrill side.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    The other thought that I had was building an enclosed, fully indoor hanging Superman-style roller coaster with a digital screen all around you (like King Kong) where it basically makes a tube that surrounds the track at all times. However, it seems like that would be far, far too expensive to maintain.
    But that would be so, soooo awesome.

• Under that tree again!

I know it's often though that Innovations could become something else. Then people want something big such as a coaster. Problem is the mechanism under that spinning building isn't made for such big and varying forces a ride like those would produce. They would need to take the roof off and guts out to start from the ground up. So if something like that is to be done, it would mean remove Innovations, not change it. That is likely why something like a queue in it is possible.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• No Disassemble!

The thing about Disney is that they've always been sub-par with their roller coasters compared to the likes of Universal and Six Flags. How does Disney stay on par with such legendary creations as "Incredible Hulk" or "Superman - Escape from Krypton". In my opinion, anything less would be an expensive failure on Disney's part.

Now if they made a standalone Marvel super park and hired the best coaster designers then that's an exciting possibility.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    The thing about Disney is that they've always been sub-par with their roller coasters compared to the likes of Universal and Six Flags. How does Disney stay on par with such legendary creations as "Incredible Hulk" or "Superman - Escape from Krypton". In my opinion, anything less would be an expensive failure on Disney's part.

Now if they made a standalone Marvel super park and hired the best coaster designers then that's an exciting possibility.
    That's not true. Space Mountain, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Big Grizzly Mountain, and even Screamin are all top-flight roller coasters.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    That's not true. Space Mountain, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Big Grizzly Mountain, and even Screamin are all top-flight roller coasters.
    They aren't even close to being on the same level (thrill-wise) as the examples G24T mentioned. Screamin' comes close, but it's just a tad too slow to be considered "top-flight" as you put it. Space Mountain, Big Grizzly Mountain, etc are family rides.

I will give you Rock n Roller Coaster, although it still pales in comparison to other parks' more thrilling offerings.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Top-flight? No. Those exist at Six Flags. The "coasters" at Disney don't compare. AT ALL.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I think the only Disneyland rides that can truly be categorized as thrilling are the ones with major drops like Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain. Screamin's launch and first drop are pretty good, but otherwise it's very pedestrian as a coaster. And I'm not a big Six Flags fan and haven't been there for 15 years.

I would love to see just a few coasters like at Six Flags at Disneyland for the older crowd