Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Remembering when..................

I remember Frontierland as swarming with activity during the daytime, but quiet at night. Mine Train, Pack Mules, Canoes, Keel Boats, Mark Twain, Columbia, Golden Horseshoe Review, fake shootouts, running all over Tom Sawyer Island and Fort Wilderness. The ultimate playground for kids. It wasn't just the specific attractions but also the overall feeling of being there.

At night, though, Tomorrowland was the happening place, with a shiny glamour and constant motion everywhere - PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, Monorail, Skyway, Submarines, even a couple of buildings moved (Tomorrowland Terrace and Carousel building). Everything in motion and a sense of glamour and excitement. The attractions were good but the overall feeling of being there was more important.

Now both lands are just collections of attractions. The feeling of being there is long gone. The people who argue endlessly on this forum that it's "just nostalgia" and that the park is actually better today due to the newer attractions, bla bla bla, aren't taking into account the intangible qualities, especially how you felt when being there.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by bob weaver View Post
    i remember frontierland as swarming with activity during the daytime, but quiet at night. Mine train, pack mules, canoes, keel boats, mark twain, columbia, golden horseshoe review, fake shootouts, running all over tom sawyer island and fort wilderness. The ultimate playground for kids. It wasn't just the specific attractions but also the overall feeling of being there.

At night, though, tomorrowland was the happening place, with a shiny glamour and constant motion everywhere - peoplemover, rocket jets, monorail, skyway, submarines, even a couple of buildings moved (tomorrowland terrace and carousel building). Everything in motion and a sense of glamour and excitement. The attractions were good but the overall feeling of being there was more important.

Now both lands are just collections of attractions. The feeling of being there is long gone. The people who argue endlessly on this forum that it's "just nostalgia" and that the park is actually better today due to the newer attractions, bla bla bla, aren't taking into account the intangible qualities, especially how you felt when being there.
    ^THIS!

I weep for those who cannot possibly know how good it really was....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I remember Frontierland as swarming with activity during the daytime, but quiet at night. Mine Train, Pack Mules, Canoes, Keel Boats, Mark Twain, Columbia, Golden Horseshoe Review, fake shootouts, running all over Tom Sawyer Island and Fort Wilderness. The ultimate playground for kids. It wasn't just the specific attractions but also the overall feeling of being there.

At night, though, Tomorrowland was the happening place, with a shiny glamour and constant motion everywhere - PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, Monorail, Skyway, Submarines, even a couple of buildings moved (Tomorrowland Terrace and Carousel building). Everything in motion and a sense of glamour and excitement. The attractions were good but the overall feeling of being there was more important.

THis is so true. The park has lost something in the transition. Case in point - your memories and the Disneyland After Dark video...

I remember clearly how Disneyland felt alive during the late 80's - early 90s. Always something happening. Now the feeling is not lost at all - for example, jazz music at New Orleans, or the bands all around the park. I still like the look of TL at night. But every year something is missing from the park... and I don't know what is it.

Maybe it's just me.

• Foolish Mortal

I remember walking into Bear Country for the first time and my dad pointed out the snoring bear audio that could be heard when entering the area. It was so cool, I wasn't sure if I was suppose to be scared, or uneasy about it, as I was only 7 years old at the time.

• Hooterville, USA

Watch the 50th video and compare it to today's Disneyland.

Kinda sad.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Element of Laughter

I remember when Tomorrowland at night wasn't a soul-crushing, depressing, lifeless area... When even at night, it was alive... PeopleMovers traveling along the track, while Rocket Jets spun overhead(as much as I prefer riding Astro Orbitor at ground level, I do have to concede that moving it back to atop the PeopleMover station will vastly improve traffic flow in and out of Tomorrowland...), and the occasional Monorail stops at the station, along with the occasional band or show at the Tomorrowland Terrace gave the area kinetic energy... That, combined with crowd-eaters like Adventures thru Inner Space, PeopleMover(if I were to combine the longest wait times on both attractions, it would add up to under 10 minutes... seriously, with the possible exception of going 101, I don't think either ride ever had a wait time longer than 5 minutes... I would estimate at least 85% of the times I went on either ride, I walked on), and America Sings, and even Mission to Mars... Here are a few other things I remember:
    The ice cream and burgers at Plaza Gardens(As I remember it, it was the closest thing to In-N-Out burgers they've ever had at the park)
    The soda fountain at the old Carnation Cafe(IMHO, the best burgers in the park)
    Country Bear Jamboree
    Characters helping direct traffic in the old parking lot
    America the Beautiful(when they brought the original 1967 version back in 1996, and even repainted the original 1967 logo in the entranceway
    America Sings
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

I remember some of that. As a kid, I loved the SkyWay and The PeopleMover. One of my earliest memories of Space Mountain was the escalator that took you up to the Space entrance instead of the "figure eight" current version.

• Hooterville, USA

Look at this gorgeous photo of the entrance of Tomorrowland! That's why we don't like the big boulders and rocket jet ride being there.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Look at this gorgeous photo of the entrance of Tomorrowland! That's why we don't like the big boulders and rocket jet ride being there.

That is gorgeous.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post

It looked so much cleaner and open than it does now. Today, it is a cluttered mess.

I remember being a little girl and watching Circle Vision, (America the Beautiful) which we thought was so cool! As you exited, I remember there were phone booths, ( some of them could fit a whole family, benches and all) we would put it on speaker phone and call my grandparents. We thought that was awesome because I don't think "speaker" phones were out yet. Also, the very first time I used a automatic faucet, was in
    the restrooms at the exit of Space Mountain. Great memories!

• Greetings, Program!

Yup. This was the best park on Earth back then. Too bad it had to be gutted and face-lifted to sell DVD's.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I still remember the sounds of the Matterhorn while riding the Skyway....yeti roars, the roller coaster, the guests' screaming, and the wind.
    Good one! Yes, approaching the Matterhorn and passing through it on the Skyway was really cool. Good childhood memories

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    I was six years old when TL67 opened. We didn't go to the grand opening but we went about a week later. I remember being WOWed. When you say Tomorrowland, I see the 60s and 70s

I posted this before but this is my Tomorrowland
    Attachment 33428
    My Tomorrowland too. Great photo, thanks for posting!

This is something much smaller in scale, but I remember being a kid in the mid 80s and being so excited about the muskets and rifles in the shop outside of Pirates. Can't remember is it was called Pieces of Eight back then. Anyway, I always wanted the big rifle. When I've gone back to Disneyland in the last several years I notice the smaller, oddly colored rifles they sell in Frontierland and Adventureland. I know they're painted that way for safety reasons, but I miss that feeling of being a young boy and the excitement of those cool rifles. Just another one of those feelings, those emotional states that were unique to being at Disneyland.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast