Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Remembering when..................

If you missed a previous thread, I posted a bunch of 1967 photos that my parents took on our first DL trip. This was just after Pirates had opened, but before the really big changes in TL were unveiled. Still, Dad remembers People Mover and Monorail very fondly.

Years back, my first visit to Disneyland

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

Wait.. There's no more monorail? Matterhorn? I'm getting ready to go to Disneyland for the first time since 1993... Which was the only time I've ever been. Was looking forward to revisiting all the treasures I remember!

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by amygrace View Post
    Wait.. There's no more monorail? Matterhorn? I'm getting ready to go to Disneyland for the first time since 1993... Which was the only time I've ever been. Was looking forward to revisiting all the treasures I remember!
    Those two attractions are indeed still there. There is no longer a Skyway that runs thru the Matterhorn, nor does the Peoplemover exist. The Rocket Jets have been renamed the AStro Orbiter and moved from its proud place up high over TL and moved to the entrance of the land where it now bottlenecks foot traffic.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Artistic integrity

Funny how all the Star Wars rumors have simmered down .. again. What happened with all those October Surprises of sith lords, lightsabors, speederbikes, "Meesa your humble servant", and - "I am your father" things waiting in the wings?

Call it wishful thinking ... I would like to think - While a seemingly small segment are lamenting over these pictures, and what's been lost ...... that we are really just a sample of a larger group who do like a Tomorrowland, that's like that, again.

I certainly hope there's more on the art boards, desks, and computers of WDI staff .. that are depicting a possible Tomorrowland that's more like the above pictures.

Not one with sith lords hanging around, with a single tone, monochromatic backdrop .... but a land that's as "Bright", "Optimistic", and Kinetic ... as the above pictures illustrate so perfectly!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Funny how all the Star Wars rumors have simmered down .. again. What happened with all those October Surprises of sith lords, lightsabors, speederbikes, "Meesa your humble servant", and - "I am your father" things waiting in the wings?

Call it wishful thinking ... I would like to think - While a seemingly small segment are lamenting over these pictures, and what's been lost ...... that we are really just a sample of a larger group who do like a Tomorrowland, that's like that, again.

I certainly hope there's more on the art boards, desks, and computers of WDI staff .. that are depicting a possible Tomorrowland that's more like the above pictures.

Not one with sith lords hanging around, with a single tone, monochromatic backdrop .... but a land that's as "Bright", "Optimistic", and Kinetic ... as the above pictures illustrate so perfectly!
    You said it brother!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Senior Minion

^ x2!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

Hey Imagineering, Iger, Marketing, Beancounters, etc ......

Take a cue from this:

Probably the very best TL Entrance photo of them all!

The summer it opened. So clean and new ... you could feel it!

The afternoon sun is shining brightly against a land that is every bit Optimistic and BRIGHT looking!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Classic Tomorrowland really was cool. And like DHS, it's a shame things have "downgraded," so to speak. Things are supposed to improve, not regress!

• Minion

Just watched some old videos a friend gave me, including "The Best of Walt Disney Presents." Two of the programs were "Disneyland After Dark" and "From Pirates to Tomorrowland."
    Almost creates a lump in my throat when I watch these. From the music...to the visuals...to the distinct, recognizable narration...to simply seeing the earliest introduction of Pirates and the entire Tomorrowland area.
    This was Disneyland at its best IMO.
    And of course seeing Walt. What a great man. A genius. So missed!!
    As for Tomorrowland...well, it was just incredible. It really was a land on the move.
    I'm just glad I had the opportunity to work Tomorrowland Attractions before those classic attractions departed. That was a great area to work.
    The CofP had already left some years before but Sings was alive and well.
    I truly am enjoying this thread and so happy to see so many people who have the same passion for those days when Disneyland truly was at its best.
    I know the park wasn't intended to be a museum, and change was inevitable.
    But you just can't beat what it was. Especially Tomorrowland.
    I'm glad I have my memories!!

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I remember Frontierland as swarming with activity during the daytime, but quiet at night. Mine Train, Pack Mules, Canoes, Keel Boats, Mark Twain, Columbia, Golden Horseshoe Review, fake shootouts, running all over Tom Sawyer Island and Fort Wilderness. The ultimate playground for kids. It wasn't just the specific attractions but also the overall feeling of being there.

At night, though, Tomorrowland was the happening place, with a shiny glamour and constant motion everywhere - PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, Monorail, Skyway, Submarines, even a couple of buildings moved (Tomorrowland Terrace and Carousel building). Everything in motion and a sense of glamour and excitement. The attractions were good but the overall feeling of being there was more important.

Now both lands are just collections of attractions. The feeling of being there is long gone. The people who argue endlessly on this forum that it's "just nostalgia" and that the park is actually better today due to the newer attractions, bla bla bla, aren't taking into account the intangible qualities, especially how you felt when being there.
    Oh my god this really just brought back memories of being a kid in the 80's and going to Disneyland. I literally choked up! I can vividly remember how FULL the park felt, not with crowds but with Disney atmosphere everywhere.

you know, this thread is the first thread in a long time to make me look back and really really REALLY miss the Disneyland I grew up with. There was so much more Disney. In the words of the Mad Hatter "You've lost your much-ness"
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Hooterville, USA

Here's another great photo of a Land that was exciting!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Here's another great photo of a Land that was exciting!

There's another thread on what your virtual reality Disneyland would be.
    This would be mine.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    You said it brother!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ x2!
    x3
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I remember Frontierland as swarming with activity during the daytime, but quiet at night. Mine Train, Pack Mules, Canoes, Keel Boats, Mark Twain, Columbia, Golden Horseshoe Review, fake shootouts, running all over Tom Sawyer Island and Fort Wilderness. The ultimate playground for kids. It wasn't just the specific attractions but also the overall feeling of being there.

At night, though, Tomorrowland was the happening place, with a shiny glamour and constant motion everywhere - PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, Monorail, Skyway, Submarines, even a couple of buildings moved (Tomorrowland Terrace and Carousel building). Everything in motion and a sense of glamour and excitement. The attractions were good but the overall feeling of being there was more important.

Now both lands are just collections of attractions. The feeling of being there is long gone. The people who argue endlessly on this forum that it's "just nostalgia" and that the park is actually better today due to the newer attractions, bla bla bla, aren't taking into account the intangible qualities, especially how you felt when being there.

I definitely know what you mean and that feeling of just being at Disneyland is so incredibly special. It's the thing I miss the most about my childhood times at Disneyland, which was in the early and mid 80s (around the time you seem to reference). When I went back to Disneyland in the early and mid 2000's, after not having been in probably like 10-13 years, I was overwhelmed with excitement just walking down Main Street after entering the park.

I think that feeling and excitement you're talking about can still be experienced, but some of what's lost is due to A) the park being a little different than it used to be, as you've pointed out, and B) one's age/time in their life when he/she experienced it in the past. In my case, it's the difference between being a young boy and being an adult so it's more pronounced. But I think this would, at least partially, hold true even for people who are adults now and were also adults in the 80s (or any time in the significant past).

What you're saying about the kinetic energy with the examples you've listed in Frontierland is totally valid; I miss all that lively, active stuff too and wish they had more of it today. It gives the park and it's various lands a very lively feel beyond that of just walk around characters (which is cool too). I love watching video of Walt's era of Disneyland with live music with Louis Armstrong and other jazz and big band musicians ont he Mark Twain, and the "Date Nights" and dancing they had in the park. Man it would've been so cool to experience all of that!

• Non-Minion

My thoughts of Disneyland as a kid as expressed by James Earl Jones from Field of Dreams. (Just replace baseball with Disneyland )

"If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast