Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Sock Puppet

Re: First Look: Thor Appearing in Thor: Treasures of Asgard at Disneyland Park

For me it's not about giving up at all. I'm not apposed to the evolution and change for DL. What I fear is TDA being driven to stagnancy and stainless, putting more emphasis on nostalgia than being in tune with what can meet the demands of today's culture with mind blowing, exciting and adventurous attractions.
    If not, the DLR will wind up being the MLB of the theme park world and USH will be the NFL of the theme park world. And I'm a baseball guy. Sports fans will understand exactly what than implies.

• 2013-14 Premium APer

Here's a link to my video, I hope it's OK to post this.

Meeting Thor - YouTube

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    For me it's not about giving up at all. I'm not apposed to the evolution and change for DL. What I fear is TDA being driven to stagnancy and stainless, putting more emphasis on nostalgia than being in tune with what can meet the demands of today's culture with mind blowing, exciting and adventurous attractions.
    But franchises that don't support the theme of the land are better?

The only reason Marvel or Star Wars fits, is because of the fans of each, who want attractions to open up as soon as possible, no matter the cost.

(The cost here - the integrity of Tomorrowland.)

What does make me feel a bit better - the recent poll on where to put these newer franchises - The vast majority of people agree .. they belong in a third gated park.

As far off as it that may be - It would really be better in the longterm.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-27-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

WildWill---thanks for posting, that was great to see. Tomorrowland_1967, I think the issue here is that to be blunt, the original 'theme' of Tomorrowland ("designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future") is not practical to maintain in any realistic economic sense. Very little if anything Tomorrowland projected in it's 'blueprint' has come to pass, but it does succeed in becoming very dated very quickly, and it is too costly to continue to update at the rate required to remain relevant. Adding a bit of fantasy to the science helps it overcome that very well.

• Sock Puppet

Well said!!!

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator621 View Post
    WildWill---thanks for posting, that was great to see. Tomorrowland_1967, I think the issue here is that to be blunt, the original 'theme' of Tomorrowland ("designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future") is not practical to maintain in any realistic economic sense. Very little if anything Tomorrowland projected in it's 'blueprint' has come to pass, but it does succeed in becoming very dated very quickly, and it is too costly to continue to update at the rate required to remain relevant. Adding a bit of fantasy to the science helps it overcome that very well.
    The growing problem is not just adding a twist of "fantasy" ... it's using material that is set to present day. Or the past. Or Fantasy that is more "whimsy" that might involves some technology, and make the stretch to call it "futurism".

So now we get more fantasy .. more "present day" situations ... how much more shall we dilute things to fit into Tomorrowland? It keeps becoming more of a stretch fitting these things in.

Very little if anything Tomorrowland projected in it's 'blueprint' has come to pass, but it does succeed in becoming very dated very quickly,

That might be a valid argument .. IF Disney actually renovated TL once every 10 years .. but they haven't. Last time they did - was more than 45 years ago. And a paint job onto the 1967 buildings (TL98 makeover) does not really count!
    So naturally ... the 47 year old Tomorrowland is going to look dated.

It's less about things becoming dated (as Disney hasn't even tried for decades!) .... there's a lot of creative laziness of the past few decades. We are better than that. But it's easier to milk franchises .. that are an ill fit. But they'll fit them anyway .. and call it a day.

There's actually a lot more imagination regarding futurism .. if we just take off those cynical, and jaded glasses that say "futurism is dead" ... with a google search to start with - futuristic architecture.

I'm not trying to get on anyone's case - But too often I hear these arguments that talk about so-called "practical issues" ... when, really ... if we saw what's been on the drawing boards of some imagineers of the past 10 or so years .. we'd shut up .. and realize there's a lot more imagination regarding futurism for the Tomorrowlands at the various Disney resorts than we thought.

Try having a look at imagineer Scot Drake's personal website - There, you got a little food for thought - gallery

And that's only ONE imagineer .. One talent. Imagine the amount of imagination & Talent with the whole WDI staff.

So ... on one hand .... imagineers are not "creatively lazy" .. but their bosses with the "greenlight" button at their control .. are.

Much easier to shoehorn ill-fitted franchises, just because it's all about FRANCHISES these days. Futurism seems pushed aside. Not dead. Pushed aside!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-27-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    ...There's actually a lot more imagination regarding futurism .. if we just take off those cynical, and jaded glasses that say "futurism is dead" ... with a google search to start with - futuristic architecture.

I'm not trying to get on anyone's case - But too often I hear these arguments that talk about so-called "practical issues" ... when, really ... if we saw what's been on the drawing boards of some imagineers of the past 10 or so years .. we'd shut up .. and realize there's a lot more imagination regarding futurism for the Tomorrowlands at the various Disney resorts than we thought.

Try having a look at imagineer Scot Drake's personal website - There, you got a little food for thought - gallery

And that's only ONE imagineer .. One talent. Imagine the amount of imagination & Talent with the whole WDI staff.

So ... on one hand .... imagineers are not "creatively lazy" .. but their bosses with the "greenlight" button at their control .. are.

Much easier to shoehorn ill-fitted franchises, just because it's all about FRANCHISES these days. Futurism seems pushed aside. Not dead. Pushed aside!
    Good post! The problem isn't a lack of futurism, and the problem isn't a lack of ideas from WDI.

The problem is a creatively lazy, risk-averse, beancounter-dominated management that sees Disneyland as a marketing mall for franchise brands. They think Tomorrowland is a great place to push brands like a cartoon talking fish, a cartoon toy space ranger, and a comic book superhero based on a god from Norse mythology.

None of which has squat to do with:

TOMORROWLAND
    A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man's achievements...
    a step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come.
    Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals:
    the Atomic Age...the challenges of outer space...
    and the hope for a peaceful and unified world.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Special Agent

So now we get more fantasy .. more "present day" situations ... how much more shall we dilute things to fit into Tomorrowland? It keeps becoming more of a stretch fitting these things in.
    Why must everything turn into a lament for Tomorrowland? If people were so appalled by the lack of a coheasive theme in Tomorrowland, they would stop going there. But it's easily the most crowded part of the park and almost every ride there is or was an E ticket at some point. Lines out the doors for Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Finding Nemo and now the two marvel exhibits in Innoventions - all testament to the level of success they have had with the current Tomorrowland.

I'm not much into meet 'n greets, but this one looks to be a real class act and actually something I'd be interested in checking out. I doubt I would want my picture taken with Thor, but as my favorite of the marvel movies (so far) I am glad he is being represented in the park.

eh, i'll be interested when natalie portman shows up

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    the reason I know nothing is coming in the next few years is that construction would have to begin now.
    And how did we arrive at that conclusion?

The only reason Marvel or Star Wars fits, is because of the fans of each, who want attractions to open up as soon as possible, no matter the cost.
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, either. There are plenty of ways that Marvel fits with Tomorrowland. There are also plenty of characters that simply do not fit. I wouldn't want a Daredevil or Punisher attraction in Tomorrowland, but Iron Man or the Fantastic Four would fit nicely with their experimental tech.

Until they explained the premise of the exhibit, I would have said that Thor would be more suited to Fantasyland. However with them utilizing Bifrost technology, I can see its application to Tomorrowland. There are scientists today who are working on forms of molecular transportation. So far they are only able to replicate a single atom, not transport it. However, it is something they are working toward and this shows where that technology can lead us in the distant future.
    Last edited by calsig31; 10-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwill View Post
    Thor was great, the costume is well done and the CM fills the uniform nicely. My 7 year old daughter got to interact with him up close and personal, she was the one who tried to lift the hammer - which is a great segment. He chooses someone to try to lift the hammer to prove they are worthy. The throne is awesome, though I don't think you get to go sit in it.

I'd upload pics but I can't seem to do figure out how
    That is awesome! Glad to hear they make it such a great experience

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    How cool! Looks like a fun time. Thor is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Can't wait to see how many fangirls ask about Loki. I'd personally rather want to meet him than Thor.
    Yeah, you could probably make that an upcharge special thing and finance all the other stuff everyone wants for Tomorrowland.

My family and I went on Friday there was a fan girl in a loki sweater with a hood that turned into lokis crown when she zipped up her sweater. She nearly orgasmed when the door opened to reveal the Thor character sitting on his thrown.

I'm sure there could be many inappropriate interactions with thor and some female guest.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123