Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Is it just me - or have meet & greets taken over the parks?

there does seem to be plenty of meet and greets but I for one would love to meet some of the Marvel characters. plenty of kids light up when they see their favorite characters as well. in addition to that, DCA just wrapped up their giant re-launch not too long ago with new rides and what not so Disney's announcements should be right around the corner. And we did get a couple new shows here and there.

Just trying to look on the positive side of things.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

Personally I don't care for meet and greets, but maybe for a little kid meeting their favorite disney character is a dream come true. There is something for everyone at Disneyland. I would hardly say it's taking over the park.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by sillysymphony View Post
    Personally I don't care for meet and greets, but maybe for a little kid meeting their favorite disney character is a dream come true. There is something for everyone at Disneyland. I would hardly say it's taking over the park.
    I totally agree with you there. That's why I get a little weary sometimes when MiceChatters complain about stuff like this. Or that they want to remove Bug's Land and/or Autopia for similar reasons. That's what I love about Disneyland. It's for everyone.

I'm pretty sure Imagineers have Marvel attractions on their drawing boards. It's just gonna take a while to design them.

• Minion

As it is at the moment I think its okay in Disneyland. I prefer characters to be roaming, however characters where there is a big demand (Mickey, the Princesses) I think Meet and Greets are needed. Mickey and the Princesses can still be found on Main Street and you can bump into them by chance, but if you just have to meet them you can guarantee that you will at their meet and greet. I think Pixie Hollow is a funny one though, the Fairies aren't as popular as Mickey and the Princesses yet still have their own meet and greet and the excuse that you need to be shrunk down to their size to meet them doesn't work for me either, Chip and Dale, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Cinderellas mice (I could go on for awhile) are all human sized and are supposed to be much smaller.

• Closed Account

There is NO WAY you guys would be able to handle what they did at WDW then. Meet n Greets have taken over empty spaces that used to be restaurants, stores, and now even .....ATTRACTIONS. That has NEVER happened. Imagine Snow n Pinoc going for a Princess Meet n Greet instead of having its OWN space squishesd on the side of the Castle??? Imagine a character dance party in Tomorrowland instead of live entertainment. Imagine an EMPTY Diamond Horsehoe EXCEPT for ...........Meet n Greets. Imagine an EMPTY Adv.Land Veranda EXCEPT for............Meet n Greets w/ Fairies.....You guys have no idea how good you still have it. Pan, Alice, Hatter, Queen, Snow, Poppins and Bert are still out in the street at DL.

• Artistic integrity

A look at the history of Meet & Greets of Disneyland:

* Started with just characters roaming the park. It worked just fine, for decade after decade. It was spontaneous - which I think made it a better experience. You never knew who you might run into throughout your day at the park.

* Toontown, where Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Chip & Dale, Minnie could be found at their respective homes became the first formal greets.

* Before the Pooh ride in Critter Country, they built the first "Only" meet & greet location - Not attached to any ride. But a few years later, the "adjoining" ride did come.

So, up to this point - these Meeting Locations worked as an "adjunct" to a respective attraction.

The next evolution point .. is one I'm not happy with at all!

Now, the whole "attraction" is JUST the meet location itself. Sort of a cheat.

* 2008, Tinkerbell moves into a location .. otherwise .. underutilized. What was once the House of the Future ... the area is too small for an attraction - So, it's not like Tink is taking up valuable ride space, right? She seems to fit in just fine.

* Next up - the evolution of the meet goes up a notch ... with the more elaborate one .. in what was once Carnation Gardens. Again, out of the way. Not replacing a ride. Not like it's taking up valuable attraction space.

So ... so far. It hasn't happened yet.

What?

The suits up in Burbank have not greenlight the first DL Meet & Greet ... that replaces a ride.

So far ... I don't mind these meet & greets.

But after what happened to the Snow White ride in WDW .. I certainly hope that never transpires for Disneyland.

Then I will start to gripe about these greets.

Lets not forget ... it's cheaper to build Meet & Greet than an actual ride. Disney's bean counters are probably looking at some of your favorite rides to get the ax, and replaced with a Meet & Greet ONLY location.

Be careful what you wish for.

Me?

Plastic smiles, little fake wave ... can only speak certain lines Okayed by the suits in TDA ... they are the most 1 dimensional aspects of Disneyland to me - I avoid them.

The only time I ever laughed ... was an off the cuff moment for the Mad Hatter over the temporary scaffolding of his ride. A "SNL" moment that breathed full 3 dimensional LIFE into a Disney character. A classic moment I will never forget. But some people didn't like it - No sense of humor!

About Thor ... he's only temporary anyway.

But as time goes on ........... if rides start getting shut down .. in favor of more meet & greets ... I won't be happy - one bit!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    For some reason it's become the 'in thing' to bash character meet and greets
    It's not an "in" thing.

Some of us are worried - What happened to the Snow White ride in WDW ... could happen in Disneyland.

One of your beloved attractions could go BYE-BYE .. because Disney's notorious beancounters know these meet & greets are cheaper to build - to rides!

Be careful what you wish for!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, I certainly didn't want Snow White's Scary Adventures to go away in favor of the princess meet and greet.

ORDDU: Imagineering might argue that at least there will still be an attraction in the place of a vacant area that wasn't used any longer. There are still just as many attractions within Fantasyland as there were when the Magic Kingdom opened. But we wouldn't call this an expansion because the attraction count remains the same.

ORWEN: The main reason for all these organized meetings and greetings is because the parks are a lot more crowded than they used to be and things had to be more organized where meeting the characters was concerned. Otherwise you'd have clusters of mobbed characters n everybody's way and I think Disney did the only smart thing they really could do. It's just that they shouldn't replace existing attractions with meeting and greetings. There is still enough space around for them to build meeting and greeting areas WITHOUT having to get rid of an attraction, I think.

ORGOCH: Heck! At Dizzyland they could just build one big barn of a buildin' an put most a the dang characters in there fer folks ta git up close 'n personal with. But I guess they likes ta spread 'em out more.

ORWEN: But it's really not so bad as some people would have you think. So far I think we've only lost one attraction in favor of a meet and greet and that was in Florida at Magic Kingdom.

• Hooterville, USA

Let's take all of the meet and greets, and stuff them inside innoventions. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I was at the Annual Passholder Thor: Treasures of Asgard pre-opening viewing (with meet and greet) yesterday, and I must say the the meet and greet area for Thor was really nicely done (though it was a bit cramped, of course, until the Throne Room since it's stashed inside a little section of Innoventions)! The actor was great, and the throne room thing where he is, I thought was really well done. Also got to see a free screening of Thor: The Dark World, too!
    Last edited by Ionan89; 10-27-2013 at 08:49 AM.

• Minion

The situation at Disney World is ridiculous in regards to characters, its so planned out each day is more or less the same with the exact same characters in the exact same spots day after day. At least at Disneyland you can still randomly find different characters about in different places, mainly Main Street.

•   
    • Minion

The way things have been done at DLR is very different than what goes on at WDW. All of the M&Gs have been placed in areas that were and are underused. Not "underused" as in underperforming rides; but actual dead space.

At Carnation Gardens the only things really going on were the dancing and the kids' performances - and both of those have come back (the kids perform at DCA and Thunder Ranch, not in CG, but they're still there). The Fantasy Faire has more than the M&G - they added live shows, which Disneyland sorely needed, and food.

Pixie Hollow - a beautiful park at night, and a space that wouldn't have fit much of anything.

Merida's corner - the space that wasn't being used by iasw.

Pooh and Friends - in the center of a busy area. Maybe could have been a planter or benches if it wasn't a meet and greet, but nothing else.

Cars Land - Outside a restaurant or on a pathway.

Minnie in DCA - near a plane that has always been there.

Buzz and Woody in DCA - in an area where a ride was demolished years ago for totally unrelated reasons, and up until now has just been used for smoking.

Thor - Totally underused space...Innoventions is a dead zone.

Jack and Sally - by a gated area that is not being used.

Given all of that, I think Disneyland is far better at putting M&Gs in areas that are underutilized and/or trying to make them fit INTO their surroundings, instead of demolishing everything in their path.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

They are great for otherwise dead space too small to feature an actual ride. They help eat up a lot of people and kids that would otherwise be getting in my way trying to go on the actual rides.

To answer the original question:

It's just you.

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    To answer the original question:

It's just you.
    Uh ... funny! Actually, I think it's great for little kids to interact with their favorite Disney characters. But, don't you find it a bit creepy that adults without kids want to stand in line to see someone dressed up in a costume? I would much rather go on a ride or see a show, but as you point out ... that might just be me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast