Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Is it just me - or have meet & greets taken over the parks?

Just noticed that there is going to be a new THOR meet & greet and although I enjoy all the Avenger movies ... does Disneyland really need another meet & greet? How about some new rides? How about some new shows? How about fixing all the broken AAs on Splash Mtn? I realize that this is a cost effective way to quickly capitalize on the Marvel franchise and cross-promote the new movie - but, really, the whole meet & greet thing is out of control. Now, if Disney wants to convert the Princess Fantasy Fair to Thor for a few months ... I could live with that. However, I would never pay the current admission price just to see people dressed up in costumes... and that's what Disneyland is starting to feel like ... but, maybe that's just me. OK ... I feel better now.

• Minion

Re: Is it just me - or have meet & greets taken over the parks?

It isn't just you. I feel the same exact way.

Some people want to meet characters, some people don't. You want the Disney folks to fix Splash Mountain, there are 4 year olds who are unable to go on it who think to themselves "Why are there SO MANY big kid rides that I can't go on?!" The offerings around the parks are varied and aren't always for every single person who enters the gates.

However, synergy has ALWAYS been a part of Disneyland's culture, and if taking up a small footprint within Innoventions to promote the upcoming film is a part of it, so be it. Let's be real, how many people would go into Innoventions otherwise?

• Done with MC.

They aren't my thing but hey, they suck up a lot of people so the rides I want to go on should have shorter lines - at least in theory.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Could be worse...you could've had a beloved ride replaced with a meet n greet.

Oh wait...

• Queen Elsa

I rather have the meet and greet then rides. Infact that is what I always do when I'm at DLand I always go for the characters. I really don't do the rides there anymore and if I do it will only be like one ride and that be when I fill like to go on a ride. But most of my time is beening with the characters who some of them have become friends to me. I think at time the likes of my name sake and Goofy know me by the way they teat me when I go see them. Of chourse I will never know if the person inside them is someone that I have meet as another character like Mad Hatter or Aladdin you know the face characters can also play fur characters to. I knew a Tinkerbell who is no longer working there but I knew she also play Mickey and Minnie. So any of face characters can play as fur as well and that is how they know me.

I hate those dumb meet and greets. They should go back when you would encounter a character just walking about. The last few times I've been to the parks its the same old ones.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Unfortunately a character can not just walk around without getting mobbed for pictures. I don't really mind them and if they act as something new to bring in the locals to keep the park fresh then so be it. Much like anything else, there are a lot of other things to do at the various parks and if people are lined up for the hug zone, that means they are not in line to the rides that I like.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    Just noticed that there is going to be a new THOR meet & greet and although I enjoy all the Avenger movies ... does Disneyland really need another meet & greet? How about some new rides? How about some new shows? How about fixing all the broken AAs on Splash Mtn? I realize that this is a cost effective way to quickly capitalize on the Marvel franchise and cross-promote the new movie - but, really, the whole meet & greet thing is out of control. Now, if Disney wants to convert the Princess Fantasy Fair to Thor for a few months ... I could live with that. However, I would never pay the current admission price just to see people dressed up in costumes... and that's what Disneyland is starting to feel like ... but, maybe that's just me. OK ... I feel better now.
    I agree, DL does NEED some new attractions. You have to go nearly 20 years since the addition of the last e-ticket attraction (Indy). And YES, DL is negligent in keeping up acceptable show standards on some attractions. The neglect and delays with the facade of Alice's attaction, and the numerous AA's not working on Splash Mt are such examples.

HOWEVER, it should be pointed out that DL DID reverse part of that trend just this year with restoring the Fantasyland theater to presenting shows, once again. Of course this also coincided with giving the princesses a meet and greet area that was designed specifically for meet and greets. The only bad thing about this was moving Fantasyland outside of its Castle border.

Not only were shows restored to the Fantasyland Theater, they also added a smaller show in the Carnation Garden Stage area. In fact, they actually have TWO smaller shows in this facility.
    PLUS Swing Dancing has returned to the stage, as well.

BUT since 1995, they have put in LOTS of months of work on maintain the Matterhorn. Space Mt was completely rebuilt. The Subs were completely redone, and brought back to working condition. The Tiki Room also completely Restored. And Big Thunder is currently in the midst of major reconstruction. So, a lot of work is being done, just not enough to keep up with everything that they have.

I think MUCH of the delays in getting a new major attraction in DL can be attributed to the schlocky management from 1994 to 2004, and the failure of Tomorrowland '98 and the failure of DCA 1.0.

NOW that DCA is improved with Buena Vista Street and with Radiator Springs, ATTENTION MUST BE RETURNED TO bringing a brand new WAY TOO LONG OVERDUE E-Ticket to DL.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Unfortunately a character can not just walk around without getting mobbed for pictures. I don't really mind them and if they act as something new to bring in the locals to keep the park fresh then so be it. Much like anything else, there are a lot of other things to do at the various parks and if people are lined up for the hug zone, that means they are not in line to the rides that I like.
    Many characters still do

Meet and Greets draw large(ish) crowds and are very cheap to build/run/maintain compared to an attraction so are going to be very attractive to Disney.

• Minion

ORDDU: Those of you who prefer rides over meetings and greetings with characters should actually be grateful there are as many as there are because, first of all, there really AREN'T as many as you think. Secondly, just think of all the other guests you don't have to compete with for rides while they are meeting with the characters.

ORWEN: For some reason it's become the 'in thing' to bash character meet and greets but there's no reason for all the whining because--as others have pointed out--Disneyland tries to cater to a wide variety of tastes. So don't let yourselves be so upset over the characters who bring such joy to others. Be glad that us character lovers have something at the parks to keep us happy, too!

ORGOCH: Got brew? (That always helps me make it through the day...)

•   
    • Minion

I don't disagree that there needs to be more development but on the other hand, we get way more maintenance than WDW. Most of the e-tickets have gone offline for extended periods over the last few years.

The Meet and Greets are very special for a lot of guests. For a lot of kids, meeting (insert name of favorite character here) is the highlight of their trip more than any ride or show. For a lot of adults, it's a chance to be fun and silly and take a cute photo.

I love the meet and greets, really. I don't think there are too many of them, either. Outside of Main Street it's pretty much one per land, and then some roaming characters. While I agree that the fixed M&G locations aren't as spontaneous as the roaming characters, I think it's safer for all involved. When I was a kid, I remember seeing mobs around the characters - and nobody respected lines, so it was basically whoever could push their way over to the character first. I have a bunch of photos of myself as a kid at WDW where I'm posing with a character and another parent has shoved their kid into the frame too. Having a set meet and greet makes it easier for the characters - they're not swarmed - and for the guests, since they get their own time with the characters, and it's done in an orderly fashion.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• formerly very helpful

With anything, balance is needed.

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I love the meet and greets, really. I don't think there are too many of them, either. Outside of Main Street it's pretty much one per land, and then some roaming characters. While I agree that the fixed M&G locations aren't as spontaneous as the roaming characters, I think it's safer for all involved. When I was a kid, I remember seeing mobs around the characters - and nobody respected lines, so it was basically whoever could push their way over to the character first. I have a bunch of photos of myself as a kid at WDW where I'm posing with a character and another parent has shoved their kid into the frame too. Having a set meet and greet makes it easier for the characters - they're not swarmed - and for the guests, since they get their own time with the characters, and it's done in an orderly fashion.
    I agree with this. I remember I believe it was back in 2008 Jasmine and Genie where at front of Main Street by the gates coming in to DL and I was in line waiting my turn to see them every time it was my turn a mom would push there kid in front of me. Ok 1 or 2 was ok I didn't mine that but by the 5th time I was starting to get a little mad. Genie had seen enough of this and took me by the arm and brong me up front to see him and Jasmine in fact there was a lady still trying to push me out of the way but Genie STOMP his foot down and mostion to her and everybody else to back off to let me have my turn.

Other thing I am glad there is these meet and greet cause look what has happen to the White Rabbit or the person or persons that has played him. He has gotten in trouble from what some of these dumb people try to do like pulling his tale and others trying to say he grab a arm of some 14 year old girl hard and here there is sue for him and Disney cause of it. Now the only time I see White Rabbit out anymore is when Alice and Mad Hatter are out with him or a CM other then that he doesn't come out by himself anymore cause of some of these out of controll people. So these M&G are good thing to have.

• Minion

There definitely aren't more meet and greets than rides. It's no big deal they add another greet.

That being said, I prefer riding rides than meeting characters.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast