Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Trip in December

I made a thread a few months back but since I'm closer to the date, I thought I should make a new one.

First trip to Disneyland for TWO days (I know, not enough time ) in December. Dates are December 19 and 20 (Thurs and Fri)

What was supposed to be a we-all-stick-together extended family trip turned into a every-family-for-themselves trip. So there are only four people in my party.

We plan to do DCA on Thursday and DL on Friday.

My family loves to plan so we thought we would get advice from people who've actually been there. Since we only have a limited amount of time and we're going to Tokyo Disney 3 months later, we only plan to see rides exclusive to California. Meaning no IJA, Splash, or Space. So our questions are:
    - should we see soarin over California and Muppet vision? I only include this because I hear they may leave both coats soon (soon meaning before our next trip to either coast)
    - where should we eat? We would like to eat someplace quick but really good so we don't waste time
    - should we see Aladdin and Mickey and the Magical Map given our timeframe?
    - What's our best plan of attack for Racers?
    - What fastpass machines are disconnected from the network?
    - What's the best viewing location for WoC, Fantasmic, and the fireworks?
    our current "must-see" list is:
    Disneyland: Alice, Mr. toad, Matterhorn, Finding nemo submarine voyage, it's a small world holiday, Haunted mansion holiday, Jingle cruise, sailing ship Columbia, great moments, Sleeping beauty castle walkthrough, Fantasy faire, A Christmas fantasy, believe... In holiday magic, Fantasmic, Mickey and the Magical Map.
    DCA: RSR, Luigis Flying tires, Maters junkyard Jamboree, California Screamin, Mickeys fun wheel, silly symphony swings, goofus sky school, monsters inc, Aladdin, the pixar play parade, Christmas world of color, (maybe soarin over California and Muppet vision 3-D)
    Disney Trips:
    Disneyland Resort: Dec 2013
    Tokyo Disney Resort: April 2013, April 2014
    Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: Oct-Nov 2006, March 2007, April 2008, April 2009, March 2010, Oct 2011, May 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, May 2013...
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    3) Soarin Over California (DCA)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)
    5) Haunted Mansion (TDL, DL)

Re: First Trip in December

Disneyland schedule
    8:00 park opening
    This is how I would do your list: arrive at gate 7am, advance to rope drop, walk thru castle to Mr Toad, then around the corner to Alice.
    8:45 over to Nemo, this should be a hour wait
    10:00 save castle for later in the day and head over to NOS for HMH hour wait.
    11:00 Columbia opens late, so not an early am
    11:45 eat at Bengal located across from JC and then ride JC
    12:45 head back to FantsyLand and complete rest of list for that area
    before or after parade do Lincoln
    catch flag retreat, watch the tree light up, dinner
    head over to SMW to see the outside in the dark, (do not do daylight trip!!!)
    find a spot back in front of the castle 45 mins prior to fireworks, I suggest where main street comes into hub, NOS side of hub.
    after fireworks do not rush to Fantasmic, plenty of room.

You should go on soarin'.. Muppet Vision is cute, bt if you're short on time and don't really care for the Muppets, you can skip it. Aladdin is a must, and Mickey and the Magical Map is surprisingly pretty good too. Just keep in mind that the shows have show times from between 11 a.m. and 6p.m., depending on whichever show you're watching... You can access the show times in the park entertainment schedule on the website.
    As for racers, unfortunately you will have to be at DCA when the park opens, in order to get a fast pass, or get in line at a decent standby wait time.
    Have an awesome trip! Don't forget to pick up a first visit button at guest relations!

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyHKP View Post
    I made a thread a few months back but since I'm closer to the date, I thought I should make a new one.

First trip to Disneyland for TWO days (I know, not enough time ) in December. Dates are December 19 and 20 (Thurs and Fri)

What was supposed to be a we-all-stick-together extended family trip turned into a every-family-for-themselves trip. So there are only four people in my party.

We plan to do DCA on Thursday and DL on Friday.

My family loves to plan so we thought we would get advice from people who've actually been there. Since we only have a limited amount of time and we're going to Tokyo Disney 3 months later, we only plan to see rides exclusive to California. Meaning no IJA, Splash, or Space. So our questions are:
    - should we see soarin over California and Muppet vision? I only include this because I hear they may leave both coats soon (soon meaning before our next trip to either coast) At least go on Soarin over CA.
    - where should we eat? We would like to eat someplace quick but really good so we don't waste time I like Corn Dog Castle and Flo's in DCA and French Market and Turkey Legs in DL.
    - should we see Aladdin and Mickey and the Magical Map given our timeframe? Yes.
    - What's our best plan of attack for Racers? Either do Wide Right right at park opening (on a non-EMH day) or get in line for a FP. If all your riders are over 7yo, you can use the single rider line. You will likely not ride together, but it is a shorter line than the standby line.
    - What fastpass machines are disconnected from the network? RSR, CA Screamin (last checked 10/9/2013) and WOC.
    - What's the best viewing location for WoC, Fantasmic, and the fireworks? Check out these links:World of Color Superthread - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com and Fantasmic! Superthread - Or Everything You Need To Know About Fantasmic at Disneyland - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com
    our current "must-see" list is:
    Disneyland: Alice, Mr. toad, Matterhorn, Finding nemo submarine voyage, it's a small world holiday, Haunted mansion holiday, Jingle cruise, sailing ship Columbia, great moments, Sleeping beauty castle walkthrough, Fantasy faire, A Christmas fantasy, believe... In holiday magic, Fantasmic, Mickey and the Magical Map.
    DCA: RSR, Luigis Flying tires, Maters junkyard Jamboree, California Screamin, Mickeys fun wheel, silly symphony swings, goofus sky school, monsters inc, Aladdin, the pixar play parade, Christmas world of color, (maybe soarin over California and Muppet vision 3-D)
    On the day you start in DL, I suggest heading to the left, and riding the jingle cruise and HMH. Their lines will get worse as the day goes on. Nemo is another slow loader that you may want to try and get out of the way early, or wait until a show (FW or F!) or parade

You forgot Tower of Terror.

Get a World of Color Fastpass, do it first thing and you should get a great seat. If you're really wanting prime viewing, then look into the World of Color dining packages.
    I always tend to make a bee-line from the fireworks to Fantasmic, it's hit or miss on spots but I've never had a bad spot.

Radiator Springs Racers. If you can get a Fastpass, do it! If not, then go Single Rider as long as everyone is (7yrs old and above)

I put in another vote for "Yes" on Muppetvision 3D, it's cute.

The problem with doing HMH first is that it is very likely that Columbia will not be open by 9:30. Columbia is your weak point in the schedule because of its opening. Long lines are going to happen in FL later because more families of small children have populated the area as the morning hour begins. Best to flee family areas as soon as possible. With thunder closed and folks not wanting to get wet on splash, a later entry into NOS should have no problem though if humor on JINGLE is grand, then longer lines than usual will happen. My gut feeling is that the reason JINGLE was just invited was to cover the closure of thunder.

• Disneyland Original '55

- should we see soarin over California and Muppet vision? I only include this because I hear they may leave both coats soon (soon meaning before our next trip to either coast)

I wouldn't worry, if you have time they are fun attractions to enjoy.

- where should we eat? We would like to eat someplace quick but really good so we don't waste time?

I would say Flo's V8 Cafe and Plaza Inn are good places to eat and are mostly quick.

- should we see Aladdin and Mickey and the Magical Map given our timeframe?

I would try to see both, though If you have time for only one then see Aladdin.

- What's our best plan of attack for Racers?

One day early morning I would go to DCA at opening and get a FP make sure your whole party is with you and have their ticket scanned to get a FP, and return within the window provided.

- What fastpass machines are disconnected from the network?

DL and DCA are on different systems, but i would attack each park one day at a time.

- What's the best viewing location for WoC, Fantasmic, and the fireworks?

In order to see World of Color with a show pass, which you can get at Grizzly River Run FP machines, a show pass secures you entry into the viewing area, within the viewing area I would try to stand on the bridge towards Ariel's Grotto for one of the best viewing spaces.

Fantasmic is a different situation, in order to get a good spot you should bring a blanket large enough for your party and one member can sit out in the seated area waiting for Fantasmic while the rest either eat dinner and/or ride attractions. Since you will be visiting at a high crowd time, and walt disney world has its own version of Fantasmic, I would not spend my time waiting waiting/watching Fantasmic. I would use the time to get to the attractions you cannot see in WDW. However if you do decide to watch Fantasmic, Believe... In Holiday Magic runs after the first performance and can be viewed from the Fantasmic viewing area.

Believe.... In Holiday Magic is a great holiday show, you can claim a spot up to 45 minutes before the show, the best viewing area is in the hub closest to the Plaza Inn and the Tomorrowland entrance. Since the fireworks are shot from just left of the castle and trees are lower on the right side.

our current "must-see" list is: Bolded rides are a Must See Attraction for a WDW regular
    Disneyland: Alice, Mr. toad, Matterhorn, Finding nemo submarine voyage, it's a small world holiday (at night), Haunted mansion holiday, Jingle cruise, sailing ship Columbia, great moments, Sleeping beauty castle walkthrough, Fantasy faire (one of the shows especially), A Christmas fantasy, believe... In holiday magic, Fantasmic, Mickey and the Magical Map. Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin FP?, Snow White's Scary Adventure, Pinoccio's Daring Journey, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybookland, Mark Twain River Boat, Disneyland Train from Tomorrowland to Mainstreet, Indiana Jones: Temple of the Forbbiden Eye FP (I know that Tokyo has this attraction but the ride in Disneyland is a classic)
    DCA: RSR FP, Luigis Flying tires, Maters junkyard Jamboree, California Screamin (FP not needed generally), Mickeys fun wheel (o Terror, be warned the swinging can be scary), silly symphony swings, goofy's sky school, monsters inc, Aladdin, Pixar Play Parade, Christmas World of Color FP, (maybe soarin over California and Muppet vision 3-D), Grizzley River Run (if you don't mind water, if its cold then its not worth it), Red Car Trolley, Bakery Tour, Tower of Terror FP

For the most part try not to plan everything out as much, but make the experience memorable, the parks will be crowded so use FP to your advantage.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

I hate to say it, but the new RIF wrist band thing would be perfect for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I hate to say it, but the new RIF wrist band thing would be perfect for the OP.
    Embarrassing to admit but yes, it would be the perfect thing right now.

thanks for all your replies! One last question though. What park should we do on thrusday and what should we do on Friday?
    Disney Trips:
    Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: Oct-Nov 2006, March 2007, April 2008, April 2009, March 2010, Oct 2011, May 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, May 2013...
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)

I remember your post from months ago and I can't remember if you decided on lodging across the street from Disneyland. My suggestion is that you purchase a three day hopper so that you can use early entry On Friday into DCA. RS should be your early focus and the rest of the park after RSR. As a two day visitor you will be a great disadvantage if you can't EE for at least one day. If you don't purchase the 3 day, then DCA on Thursday, DL on Friday as rope drop will even out the field for all visitors. As most of us suggested on your post months ago, early, early is of the utmost importance, especially with the dates and holiday you have chosen

Another question: Will soundsational be running during our visit? And does HMH still offer fastpasses?
    Disney Trips:
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by disneylover16 View Post
    Muppet Vision is cute, bt if you're short on time and don't really care for the Muppets, you can skip it.
    At least see the Muppetvision pre-show as it's hilarious. Really one of the best pre-shows ever. You can then just walk through the theatre when the doors open to the other side if you don't want to see the movie.

Thanks for all the replies! They're making my trip planning much easier!
    Disney Trips:
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)

I'm getting excited for you it's gonna be a great trip! Try to get on every ride once, if you want a good sit-down dining experience, the Blue Bayou is a good place to start

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast