Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Tiki Room clickity clack

This was one of my Japanese grandmother's favorite attractions. She was born and raised in Hawaii. I grew up surrounded by Hawaiian culture, studied Polynesian dance since I was a kid, and have decorated my home with Tiki masks and other Hawaiian items. My cat's name is Tiki! I can't wait to go back to the Enchanted Tiki Room and have my first Dole Whip Float. I hope Disney leaves this attraction alone unless they're just maintaining it. As for the clicking sounds, maybe it's part of the charm.

• Artistic integrity

Has anyone here seen all 3 shows that have come and gone in other Disney parks?

- WDW "New Management"
    - TDL "Get the Fever"
    - TDL "Stitch Presents Aloha e Komo Mai"

I've heard plenty criticism for "New Management" .. but I have no idea how well TDL's 2 shows rank in comparison to the 1963 original show.

50 years later, 4 shows ... 3 of them (done in 1998,1999,2008) .... I just wonder .. in overall execution .. if the original show remains the best version ever created.

I had a friend back in the 90s .. had a very close association with WDI-Anaheim ... and mentioned the serious talk going on then of the Tiki Room getting changed out ... just as WDW and TDL's were getting ready too, as well.

Well, three other shows have come and/or gone. I just wonder .. if Disney realizes .. to leave well enough alone now.

In my opinion the original show has an element of charm .. made in a time ... before America and entertainment in general became more hard edged.

One thing I really wish I could see in my lifetime ... is the entire show restored - That means, reinstating the "Barcarolle" number from Offenbach's "Tales of the Hoffmann" opera. One could see the apparent reason for removing it. Not much was happening, other than the center fountains were doing a very limited number of movements. That was pretty much it. Well, imagine with today's "World of Color" technology if they did something unique and special in that number alone!!! From show start ... right up to the Barcarolle number .. everything is the exact same, as it has been since 1963 ... and then: Some SURPRISES take place ... by the time the number is over .. everything goes back to it's "1963 technology" presentation. One of those brief moments .. that catches your attention .. and not wonder off to the exit door.

What's going through the back of my head - Tiki Room has a basement. Well that basement contained all the equipment needed to run the show. In today's digital and computer age ... that space is more barren. With a few strategically placed hydraulics .. some tubes filled with water .. and a few other "razzmataz" elements in place .... Barcarolle will hold your attention this time! And yet .. it could still maintain that "quaint" feeling .... as if it was part of the show, since 1963. It's all in my head. If I can think that, and I'm not one of those skilled and talented imagineers ... imagine what they could come up with!

The Enchanted Tiki Room is very special. Other shows have come and gone .... the ADHD 1990s audiences (who were responsible for removing Barcarolle in the first place) have given way to audiences more in tune to preserving history ... not just any history .. but GOOD history ... worth keeping ... when modern times aren't exactly showing newer shows that have lasting stay beyond 10 years! (cough - New Management, Get the Fever - cough). How long will Stitch last in TDL's version ... while DL's original 1963 show keeps on going??

Some past imagineering fetes still have yet to permanently be topped!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-28-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    The Tiki Room is my favorite Disney attraction ... and even I would be a proponent of updating the technology. It's when they change the show, that I get bothered.
    The technology has been upgraded, many times. Everything behind the scenes, all the control system, have been re-engineered 5 times! (according to Bob Gurr, during a Tiki Room 50th anniversary event)

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Gives it charm.
    Agreed.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Dreaming of next trip

There would have to be a lot of updates just to keep the system running. Have you even tried to find a hard disk for a computer that is 15 years old? It is next to impossible.
    So the control systems would have to be redone, the 5 times seems to be about what is needed to keep it running.
    I have no problem with them using new technology to keep it running. I just want the same original feel to the show.
    After all how many show that were build around 1962 are still around. Yet the Tiki Room keeps on going and I hope it will continue for a long long time.

The clacking doesn't bother me. Sounds just like any other bird that talks/speaks/sings just like a human.

• Halloween 2011

The clacking is from the actuators? I always thought it was the beaks hitting together when closing.

• Blew By You

Never thought about it until I read this post. I heard the clacking sounds but by now it's become part of the symphony of music and singing. I'd keep it.

•   
    • Among mad people

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    If you want to cramp you brain, try to figure out how they built the "tree" that descends from the center of the ceiling. There are dozens of animatronics moving in concert with the rest of the show while the entire tree revolves. This was achieved before the days of radio frequency actuators. That's a lot of wires up there twisting away, but I'm fairly certain that's not how they did it.
    Doesn't it just turn half way and than turn back the other way?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    The clacking is from the actuators? I always thought it was the beaks hitting together when closing.
    This.

• Fountain Fan

I hope they don't change the fountains. Not many places are still using the Rain Jet "Showers of Diamonds" nozzles (the Tiki Room show uses three 'Ballerina' nozzles in the center, which have an off-kilter sway to the cone, and many inwardly-slanted 'Crystal Cone' nozzles around the sides - I don't know what's in the pineapples). The fountain unit HAS been updated somewhat already: the incandescent lights were replaced by multi-color LED units.

Walt was a fan of Rain Jet's work, though he passed barely before their magnum opus, the water Fantasy at Sea World - the only fountain show built using only Rain Jet fountains - opened. Disneyland must have a stash of replacements around, since they're not in production any more; I was lucky to pick up a cache of used ones, unfortunately not including the lovely Ballerina model.

The clicking noises, yes, please fix those. Nostalgia for old mechanisms is something that resonates with me, but I think even the old ones were probably adjusted to be as noiseless as possible, and that should be upheld. Part of the Tiki Room's magic for me is the way these birds seem almost alive. Not only in their original days, but even now when animatronics are relatively common, ones this tiny are impressive.
    Last edited by JonasClark; 11-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.

The Tiki Room isn't as bad as Alice though. Yet again, they're refurbing Alice in January, so why don't we upgrade the AA's in the Tiki Room??

anyone hear the bald CM in there who sounds like he's had 1000's of voice over jobs? He had the entire show room laughing and clapping with his enthusiasm. it was refreshing to see someone enjoy their job so much!

• Donald's #1 Fan

I love the clicks. They are charming. The entire Tiki Room is tremendously charming. The birds move gracefully and the show is quite fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast