Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tiki Room clickity clack

So, anyone who has ever been in there knows the sound of the old animatronics at work. The constant clickity clack as parts are opened and closed by little hydralic motors. It almost has it's own sound track.

Question: With the new technology, would you want them to update it and lose the noise, or do you think it should stay as is?

• Minion

Re: Tiki Room clickity clack

Disneyland isn't a museum and an update to the animatronics would be good if it kept the same spirit as the original show.

The Enchanted Tiki Room is one of my favorites. It has been about 3 years since I went in there and don't remember the noise from the animatronics, but probably wouldn't mind it. I'll have to listen for it when I go in a few months.

• Singing Drinker

Ticky tacky point on the clicky clacky - pneumatic, not hydraulic systems involved. Makes them noisier but much less prone to dripping things.

The noise level goes up and down, presumably based on how recently the birds have been maintained. I'd be happy if they'd keep it at the lower end of the noise level, but the upper end DOES get highly distracting.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm a big proponent of upgrading all of the AA's at Disneyland. Send the old ones to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco so people can still see them if they want.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Sorry, my bad. I get those two mixed up sometimes.

• Hooterville, USA

Gives it charm.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Closed Account

I've been hitting up Enchanted Tiki Room a lot lately and its a big favorite, but lately the clickity clack has been distracting. Its really getting bad and could use some love.

I think this is especially worse in Alice and Wonderland when you're in the flower garden room.

Clacking? You watch the Tiki room show & come out complaining about clacking?
    The Enchanted Tiki Room is as much of an engineering marvel today as it was fifty years ago. Take a minute to think about what you are looking at. Here are life size birds that are viewable from all sides, sitting on perches. They move in very lifelike movement, most probably driven by electrical actuators (servos & solenoids). I have never seen one close up & personal but that's my best guess. Pneumatics & hydraulics are too cumbersome.
    The actuators have to be very small to fit in such a tight space. Small actuators are weak by nature so the material that they move has to be lightweight. As these things have to perform day after day, all of these materials have to be durable. It was a very tall order then & it remains so today.
    If you want to cramp you brain, try to figure out how they built the "tree" that descends from the center of the ceiling. There are dozens of animatronics moving in concert with the rest of the show while the entire tree revolves. This was achieved before the days of radio frequency actuators. That's a lot of wires up there twisting away, but I'm fairly certain that's not how they did it.
    What I wouldn't give to be able to get a behind the scene tour of the Tiki Room. Be thankful that it isn't in a museum & that you are able to enjoy it. The Tiki Room is a high water mark in Imagineering. Change your perspective and try to begin to enjoy the brilliance that created something for your entertainment.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Indiana Scott

The Tiki room is a monument to Walt himself. I would like to see it maintained but not ever "upgraded". I enjoy hearing and seeing it the way it started and in all its historic charm.

I wasn't complaining, just wanted to hear people's opinions. I know about the room's history and the fact that it was originally meant to be a dinner theater type of attraction. Basically Rainforest Cafe WAY before it's time. I still marvel at how it all works and what it took to build it. Like I said, I was just wondering what other people thought. I like throwing questions out there and see what other's have to say.

If you were going to make a list of "don't change a thing" rides, Tiki Room would have to be #1.

The Tiki Room is my favorite Disney attraction ... and even I would be a proponent of updating the technology. It's when they change the show, that I get bothered.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    Clacking? You watch the Tiki room show & come out complaining about clacking?
    The Enchanted Tiki Room is as much of an engineering marvel today as it was fifty years ago. Take a minute to think about what you are looking at. Here are life size birds that are viewable from all sides, sitting on perches. They move in very lifelike movement, most probably driven by electrical actuators (servos & solenoids). I have never seen one close up & personal but that's my best guess. Pneumatics & hydraulics are too cumbersome.
    The actuators have to be very small to fit in such a tight space. Small actuators are weak by nature so the material that they move has to be lightweight. As these things have to perform day after day, all of these materials have to be durable. It was a very tall order then & it remains so today.
    If you want to cramp you brain, try to figure out how they built the "tree" that descends from the center of the ceiling. There are dozens of animatronics moving in concert with the rest of the show while the entire tree revolves. This was achieved before the days of radio frequency actuators. That's a lot of wires up there twisting away, but I'm fairly certain that's not how they did it.
    What I wouldn't give to be able to get a behind the scene tour of the Tiki Room. Be thankful that it isn't in a museum & that you are able to enjoy it. The Tiki Room is a high water mark in Imagineering. Change your perspective and try to begin to enjoy the brilliance that created something for your entertainment.
    Nice explanation. And I think the "tree" that comes down from the ceiling is known as the bird mobile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast