Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Visiting disneyland the week of Christmas. Bad idea?

Make sure you have reservations for sit down restaurants - you pay a premium for a table but it's worth it!

Get there EARLY. As in during Magic Hour. We were shocked when we went during the week after Christmas / NYE how quite it was first thing in the am: especially with early entry. No lines for Pirates, Small World, etc. Fast Pass is your friend.

Be prepared to be run over by EV's and the people don't seem to care if they are running over your little kid, your ankles, etc.

A trip over Christmas week one year was the only time I have seen the park at capacity. 11AM and it was full up. The upside was as the evening progressed the crowd thinned as made for a pleasant evening from 9PM on.

Go early and hunker down.

It will be BUSY. We went the week after Christmas in 2010 and it was crazy busy-only time I've seen gates closed! We are going again this year 12/23-12/27. It will be nutty but set your expectations and know your limits. As others have suggested get an early start. It also quiets down (slightly) late at night. Use fastpasses, and just enjoy!

• Disney93

Thank you guys for all your input! Since it will be my friends and I first time experiencing Christmas at disneyland I'm thinking of just going after New Years. I'm guessing it won't be crowded what so ever

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by itzjoshh View Post
    My friends and I are planning to visit Disneyland on Monday the 23 of December. Is this a bad idea? Will it be extremely packed? Any tips would be much appreciated guys!
    Yes, it will be extremely packed.

Go anyway.

Christmas is the one time of the year where Disney does things so well that even us jaded Cast Members stand back in awe. Disneyland was always special during Christmas, but when they hit on Small World Christmas, magic was rekindled. Believe me, I remember the days when we all talked about it, how were were jaw-dropped impressed, and that took a lot to do that to us.

Here is my piece of advice: Do not care about the crowds. "Darn the queued, full speed ahead!"

If you want to go on a ride, go. No matter what the queue is. Just go. Enjoy the queue as much as the ride. It's part of the experience. Look around. Look at the people. Look at the environment.

If you focus on the queues, you will see queues. But if you go in with the mindset that queues don't matter, then queues will mean nothing and you will have the best time you ever will have.

Trust me.

Disneyland at Christmas is a Must Have experience.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by itzjoshh View Post
    My friends and I are planning to visit Disneyland on Monday the 23 of December. Is this a bad idea? Will it be extremely packed? Any tips would be much appreciated guys!
    Yes, it will be extremely packed.

Go anyway.

Christmas is the one time of the year where Disney does things so well that even us jaded Cast Members stand back in awe. Disneyland was always special during Christmas, but when they hit on Small World Christmas, magic was rekindled. Believe me, I remember the days when we all talked about it, how were were jaw-dropped impressed, and that took a lot to do that to us.

Here is my piece of advice: Do not care about the crowds. "Darn the queued, full speed ahead!"

If you want to go on a ride, go. No matter what the queue is. Just go. Enjoy the queue as much as the ride. It's part of the experience. Look around. Look at the people. Look at the environment.

If you focus on the queues, you will see queues. But if you go in with the mindset that queues don't matter, then queues will mean nothing and you will have the best time you ever will have.

Trust me.

Disneyland at Christmas is a Must Have experience.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

Don't go. If you want Xmas junk and ambiance (or whatever...), go in mid-November well before Thanksgiving, or early December, just after Thanksgiving.

The area around Xmas will just be a nightmare, unless you have some affinity for crushing crowds, or not actually getting to ride anything without a two hour wait. Oh, and your fellow guests will all be in full family meltdown mode.

Don't do it. Save your sanity (and ankles).
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• Blew By You

On the other hand, one year me and my daughter went to Disneyland during the holidays and on one of the busiest days in their history. We were barely allowed into Disneyland, and we had a great time. Our wait times were about 10 minutes for Fantasyland attractions, except for Peter Pan. That's where we stayed for most of our visit. Take this with a grain of salt.

I have to say, it is magical during the Holidays at Disneyland. I am far from a Disney expert: I can only speak from my limited experience as a mom taking her princess, Tinkerbell loving daughter to DisneyLand. When we went last year for her Christmas present around New Years, we were shocked by how packed the park was. We were lucky in that we stay at the Grand and have early access to the parks. We took full advantage and went in early, We also added a day to our trip. We only had 1 or 2 real goals for the day: focused on our then 4 yo daughter for meet and greats with princesses. Everything else was gravy. The cast members *made* our trip so special; the CM who was Rapunzel brought tears to my eyes (and she happened to be Aerial the next day at Aerials Grotto: recognizing my little girl). Made the whole trip worth it to see Disney thru her eyes when it truly is magic.

If you go during the holidays my advice as an outsider is to slow it down: enjoy the experience of being at DL during a special time of year. Don't rush and just skip the rides with really long lines; use fast pass; make reservations at restaurants so you have built in down time to enjoy Disney.

Heck we are crazy enough to book a trip mid December for her 5th birthday trip. I'm even going solo with her a couple of those dates and I can't wait! Elsa and Anna meet and greets from Frozen will be the highlight of the trip for my daughter I am sure. Besides, it SNOWS in Disneyland every night! Pixy dust is what they sprinkle all over the resorts.

I say take it all in and enjoy.

• Queen Elsa

My family also ways goes to Disneyland on Christmas Day yes it is crazy pack but hey there is nothing we want for prizents and we don't have any family around other then my unlce who lives in NY. So we make Disneyland are Christmas prizent.

I don't think there is ever a bad time to go to Disneyland as long as you have the expectation that it's going to be packed, and lines will be long. Be prepared that you're not going to ride a lot of rides, and that average wait time will probably be 30-45minutes. If you're with friends, lines aren't that bad.

My last trip, I saw 2 friends who were in line playing "Heads up with friends" (put your phone to your head, the other person sees the word on the phone and has to get you to guess it) and I went "0_o!" playing a game in line with your friends! BRILLIANT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12