Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: California Adventure vs Hollywood Studios

One other point: Star Wars Weekends at Hollywood Studios is a blast!

Haven't been to many of the events at California Adventure, but GlowFest was a lot of fun. I was very pleasantly surprised.

DHS was a working studio back in the day, but no longer. The Backlot tour used to be great - my favorite part was traveling through the costuming department - although its been years since I've been. RnRC is fantastic, but such a different ride than California Screamin'. ToT feels the same to me.

I love(d) DHS for the stage shows. The Little Mermaid show is wonderful, as is Beauty and the Beast (although that's going away at the end of the year). The thing I love most about DHS is that it took old Hollywood, and you really feel that vibe in the Hollywood section. DCA is beautiful, but I still can't get over the meta-factor. Then again, a Orlando-themed theme park in Anaheim would be a little weird.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    DHS was a working studio back in the day, but no longer. The Backlot tour used to be great - my favorite part was traveling through the costuming department - although its been years since I've been. RnRC is fantastic, but such a different ride than California Screamin'. ToT feels the same to me.

I love(d) DHS for the stage shows. The Little Mermaid show is wonderful, as is Beauty and the Beast (although that's going away at the end of the year). The thing I love most about DHS is that it took old Hollywood, and you really feel that vibe in the Hollywood section. DCA is beautiful, but I still can't get over the meta-factor. Then again, a Orlando-themed theme park in Anaheim would be a little weird.
    DHS Tower of Terror is miles ahead of California's. California is like a cheap knock-off of the original.

RnR can't be compared to Screamin!. One is a terrific dark ride, with incredible theming. The other one is, again, a cheap knock-off of a tame Six Flags ride.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    DHS Tower of Terror is miles ahead of California's. California is like a cheap knock-off of the original.
    Now, I know I'm in the extreme minority here. But I do believe DCA has the better Tower of Terror.

Reason 1: Narrator, the narration is a deeper voice on DCA, it is 100x better as a result.

Reason 2: The script, I think the narration of "you are about to see what lies beyond in the fifth dimension... in the Tower of Terror" Is cheesy in comparison to "wave goodbye to the real world... you have just entered the Twilight Zone" Mostly the narrators execution is what makes the DCA script better. Others may feel differently. I find other comparable parts of the script better written for DCA's version.

Reason 3: The drop build up is much better on DCA. We lack a fifth dimension scene and I think this turned out for the better. In DHS you move through the scene then have a quiet part where you move into the drop shaft and then randomly move up or down. While in DCA you get the build up of the five people dropping from the elevator in the distance and a guaranteed drop at first. The DCA one flows better in my opinion.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Sock Puppet

As someone who has ridden both of them at least a hundred times, they are going to feel different to different tourists.
    If you just ride once every few years, TOT at DHS wins. However, the random drops at DHS has all but taken the thrill out of the drop unless you get lucky once in a blue moon and get the full drop. DCA's wins on thrill element.
    However, the more you ride, the more the 5th dimension room looks cheap, and a little irrelevant. The room itself isn't done well, rather its the fact that the elevator is moving forward that surprises the first few times, but that wears off. The added scenes in both Tokyo and DCA are actually pulled off much better. JMHO

• Banned User

I prefer DHS's Tower of Terror since it has a full circuit. It is a true dark ride. You enter from one spot and you leave at another spot. DCA's Tower of Terror is more of a drop ride. You leave from where you came.

• Sock Puppet

Don't you enter and exit in basically the same place on Pirates and actually many other dark rides at DL?

By the way bjmort, this is a great discussion thread

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Now, I know I'm in the extreme minority here. But I do believe DCA has the better Tower of Terror.

Reason 1: Narrator, the narration is a deeper voice on DCA, it is 100x better as a result.

Reason 2: The script, I think the narration of "you are about to see what lies beyond in the fifth dimension... in the Tower of Terror" Is cheesy in comparison to "wave goodbye to the real world... you have just entered the Twilight Zone" Mostly the narrators execution is what makes the DCA script better. Others may feel differently. I find other comparable parts of the script better written for DCA's version.

Reason 3: The drop build up is much better on DCA. We lack a fifth dimension scene and I think this turned out for the better. In DHS you move through the scene then have a quiet part where you move into the drop shaft and then randomly move up or down. While in DCA you get the build up of the five people dropping from the elevator in the distance and a guaranteed drop at first. The DCA one flows better in my opinion.
    Everything you said is true and I do think that there are things at DCA's Tower that are better then DHS. However, there is one huge, major flaw that I can't overlook. When you are in your group waiting for the elevator doors to open so you can get on the ride, the elevator doors open... to a hallway. It completely, totally destroys any illusion or show for the ride. I know we all like to think we know what Walt would think of something, and most of the time we're probably wrong, but this is something I guarentee Walt would never have allowed. DHS doesn't have this problem becase of the 5th dimension -- in addition to being better show because your elevator car is now in the very shaft that the people disappeared from, it allows you to exit in a different spot then where you entered. In my opinion, DCA's Tower is the most glaring example of "bad show" at any Disney park that I've ever seen. Broken rides can be fixed, bad behavior by a cm can be corrected, but this is permanant.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Cheers mondo!

Both parks have their strengths and some phenomenal weaknesses. MGM was easily always the better park. In 2013, much of it is in need of a (frankly, ironically) California Adventure-style makeover.

The attractions and themed areas toward the front of the park have only been damaged by alterations. I'm a big fan of the classic Hollywood Boulevard and Echo Lake. It is such a dreamy interpretation of this old Hollywood that never was, with intricate details and film references. These days, it seems everyone just rushes through these areas on their way to Toy Story and the thrill rides. Boy, do they need to get rid of that giant blue cone.

The Great Movie Ride is a modern classic Disney dark ride. Detailed sets, a gigantic cast of animatronics, shootouts, murders, guys smoking and an Alien scene? They would never create an attraction this cool today and I'm always worried that they're going to ruin it.

The entire buildup to the Tower of Terror ride blows California Adventure's away. Walking closer and closer down sunset to the looming tower, the uber-themed queue and a scene where the elevator starts to move forward make this version much better and scarier.

Even a less impressive ride like Aerosmith is better than many of the thrill rides at California Adventure. For the sort of "off-the-shelf" ride, it is pretty detailed and features an elaborate waiting area and pre-show.

California Adventure has too many carnival/Six Flags-style rides. Yeah, many of them are themed, but it doesn't make them good rides. They're just not the quality of ride you expect from Disney.

MGM has far fewer rides, but at least the majority of them are (or were) pretty good. The obvious exception is the studio tour, which was once a pretty good ride. These days, not even Rocketeer props can redeem it.

I don't really enjoy the Toy Story ride, but it is popular. There's just no comparison with the Studios version's Pixar area and queue. Although you do have to wait 17 hours just to get on the Florida version.

Where California starts to best MGM is when it comes to its original rides like Soarin', Grizzly, Aladdin and Cars. Now, I wouldn't consider these among Disney's best by any means, but they are very entertaining crowd-pleasers, big and expensive, and well-themed. They go beyond simply taking those carnival-style rides (*cough* Paradise Pier and Bug's Land *cough*) and adding Disney characters. Plus, they're modern.

MGM has like NOTHING new and nothing added in the last decade that's particularly impressive. I mean, California Adventure even got the Roger Rabbit red car, a ride that shouldn't even exist in a modern Disney park. I still can't even believe they added it.

The Studios needs to overhaul the entire back section of the park: the empty city streets, car show, backlot and all the backstage areas. More rides, new entertainment.

Both parks are thematically messy, have some awful attractions and areas that need to be demolished/replaced. They're also not full-day parks, which needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by Great Movie Rider; 11-01-2013 at 03:06 PM.

EXCELLENT assessment Great Movie Rider! I agree with just about every point you raised.

It's cool you appreciate the Hollywood Boulevard and Echo Lake areas too I LOVE those areas (as I constantly mention in my posts, lol) and feel they're so under-appreciated, though it really just comes down to a matter of personal interest. When I used to go to MGM Studios with my family between '89-'92, that feeling of a romanticized old Hollywood/L.A. was one of my favorite things about the park.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Comparing DHS to DCA is like comparing apples to oranges with bits of apple in it.

DHS was a pretty good park in its early years but without its intended concept of being a working studio, much of what it used to be now falls flat. The biggest thing the park needs right now is more rides. DHS has some of the best rides in the entire resort but you can count the total number of actual rides on your fingers. Most of them are E tickets thus creating massive line problems.

DCA was a park that was designed to handle a massive local crowd so of course the ride count would be much bigger. But the quality of rides is rather mixed compared to Disneyland across the street.

Here's what can help DHS:
    - Improving or deleting the tram tour altogether.
    - Minor upgrades to the GMR (let's not go overkill)
    - adding Star Wars/Indiana Jones attractions to Echo Lake area
    - expanding Pixar Place
    - adding a Toontown near Animation Courtyard

Here's what can help DCA:
    - finish the theming fixing to Hollywoodland and Golden State areas
    - add more attractions to Hollywoodland
    - add more high quality family-friendly attractions throughout the park
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    It's cool you appreciate the Hollywood Boulevard and Echo Lake areas too I LOVE those areas (as I constantly mention in my posts, lol) and feel they're so under-appreciated, though it really just comes down to a matter of personal interest. When I used to go to MGM Studios with my family between '89-'92, that feeling of a romanticized old Hollywood/L.A. was one of my favorite things about the park.
    Yes, I love the atmosphere in those areas. I also love the various references to films you can find to this day. Some are sadly deteriorating, such as the Roger Rabbit silhouette in the window of Eddie Valiant's office. On the other hand, the tank from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (hiding in an alcove near the stunt show) was lovingly restored a few years ago. Still other references which probably shouldn't even be around anymore have endured, and still bring a smile to my face, such as a Rocketeer-themed drink stand. Relics from our childhood when the park first opened. Plus a big Cabazon-esque dinosaur that is yet another film reference.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Minor upgrades to the GMR (let's not go overkill)
    Absolutely. I disagree with the postulation that Great Movie Ride needs to be significantly altered or removed. It's better than most attractions that have been build since, in my opinion. Highly detailed, loaded with audio-animatronics and edgy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12