Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

California Adventure vs Hollywood Studios

I havent been to WDW so i can't comment so wanting to know how people thing DCA compares to DHS?

from looking at video footage from youtube, DHS looks similar to DCA but seems not to have more of the 1930's LA building motif.....like everywhere.

However looking at the Attractions list it doesn't seem to have much more than DCA.

Thoughts?

• formerly very helpful

Re: California Adventure vs Hollywood Studios

I haven't been to DHS since 2006, so my information may be a little out of date. But my impression was DHS seemed like a more "complete" park to me. Granted, the park opened years before DCA, so there was a lot of time to grow that DCA hasn't had. (of course, DCA DID have that huge reboost a couple of years ago.) I also think that since many of the attractions at DCA originated elsewhere, (Tower of Terror, Tough to be a Bug, Muppetvision) that's another mark against it.

• Sock Puppet

I think DCA now, is a lot different park than 2006. I just got back from WDW and we did visit DHS although we had originally not intended. DCA is a much more varied and diverse park than DHS. The attraction lineup is better, to significantly better at DCA, particularly for young kids. Also, for me, the biggest difference between the 2 parks is scenery. From the Grizzly area to CARSLAND, DCA has areas of gorgeous faux nature scenery. DHS has NOTHING comparable. But in DHS's defense, it wasn't designed for that.
    When comparing rides;
    DCA has nothing comparable to TGMR.
    DHS version of TOT is better than DCA's, but becomes less better the more you ride and the wow factor of the moving elevator cart wears off.
    DHS has nothing comparable to RSR's, Monsters Inc., Luigis, Maters, Grizzly River Run, ITTBAB, Bugsland for kids. The playground area in Grizzly is truly inspired at DCA when compared to the DHS playground.
    Also, I prefer Screamin over RnRc, but DCA Needs an indoor thrill ride. Hopefully the Monsters indoor coaster will be it. I can, however, totally see liking RnRc over Screamin.
    Lastly, Soarin vs Star Tours? They aren't REALLY comparable, however, lets take a look at the 2 rides in WDW. Soarin is immensely more popular than Star Tours and is, in fact, the most popular attraction in all of WDW. Star Tours does have longer waits than Soarin at DLR, but I think that's a matter of having 5 million more people in DL than DCA.
    IMHO, DCA is MILES ahead of DHS now, especially compared to 2006.

• Chief Troublemaker

I've never been to DHS, but here's my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation):

While I like DCA in theory (the California theme) and I really love the '30s era re-do & Cars Land, I think it would have been better if they had just built a DHS 'clone' as it were. That way the current invasion of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm stuff that's going on could have been added to the DLR DHS park and still would have been 'theme' appropriate; "Pixarland, Marvelland, Lucasfilmland" all could have been built as separate 'movie studio' areas within the park.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• "What? What?"

I went to Disney World for the first time in September so this is all fresh in my mind. I never really googled/you tubed DHS much so I didn't know what to expect besides the fact our entrance is similar.

When we arrived at DHS we were sooo disappointed, not at that park, but at the fact we used to think DCA was sooo awesome! From the entrance all the way to Tower of Terror, almost all of that, is pretty much copied from Hollywood Studios. Hollywood Studios even has a frickin Carthay Circle theatre. True ours is bigger and houses a restaurants, while there's is just a gift shop, but if you ask me, its more appropriate as an insignificant gift shop rather than a park icon. Not only is everything copied from DHS, but DHS did most of it better. I really liked that the incorporated the Hollywood Bowl at DHS to be used as an actual theater. They have many more eateries themed to the area as well. It was very disappointing, and I felt like I had been lied to and swindled into thinking my park was special.

However, all of DCA, outside of Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Blvd, is completely different than DHS and shouldn't even be compared. I just think it's sad that what they used as a new way to spruce up the park, was literally taken from a much older park, where the theme was much more appropriate since they host world wide travelers who may not get the chance to see the "real" Hollywood.

• Sock Puppet

But how would something like CARSLAND fit into DHS better than DCA? It isn't a film set. Also, Thematically, Toy Story Mania fits much better into the Pier at DCA than it does in DHS.
    One other point. These comparisons aren't static. Things change and DHS is about to get a major investment and some dramatic changes. Lets see what happens then.
    For me, a Studios park is fine for a 3rd or 4th gate, but is too confining and 1 dimensional as a 2nd gate.

• Sock Puppet

To add something, DHS has the 2nd best dining options of any stateside park after EPCOT .

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    But how would something like CARSLAND fit into DHS better than DCA? It isn't a film set...
    If they got rid of their awful backlot tour, and left lights motors actions, they could put a carsland there and themed. Lights Motor Action would be at the front of it all. I am sure imagineers would come up with some kind of transition between real world of cars to the land of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    To add something, DHS has the 2nd best dining options of any stateside park after EPCOT .
    Yes!

Admittedly, I like them both which is why I have a Premier Passport and don't compare them as better or worse when I visit. As mentioned by others, I also like the California elements such as Grizzly Rapids, the Canary Row outdoor dining environment and the 1930's Los Angeles decorations in DCA. However, HS compliments DCA with similar but different elements. I like the HS area in front of the Hollywood Hotel with food areas reminiscent of Farmer's Market in the Los Angeles La Brea area. It is interesting to see the smaller version of the Carthay Circle theater and I like the HS movies tour with the recreated Grauman's Chinese Theater for waiting in line and the studio backlot tour that DCA does not have. It is also nice to have sit-down Fantasmic viewing in FL in the HS amphitheater versus standing around in DL.

Most of all, I LOVE the HS Brown Derby restaurant, the recreation of California architecture and the movie star drawings throughout the restaurant. Admittedly, the restaurant is overpriced, but I like to order light-- some of the historic restaurant's traditional dishes, such as a Cobb Salad or the Grapefruit cake. Also with the WDW add-on $100 Tables in Wonderland membership which offers annual passholders 20% off food and alcohol in most hotel and theme park restaurants, it makes the Brown Derby more affordable.

Between California and Florida, I'm fascinated how certain rides may be immensely more popular in one location than in the other. Examples are Toy Story Midway Mania and Soarin' which always have extraordinary waits in Florida but are usually manageable in California. Soarin' at DCA even has a single rider line which I do not believe is offered in FL. Also if I go into DCA on magical mornings, I can usually ride Toy Story Midway three or four times in less than a half hour by getting off and walking back on the ride. In FL, I'd expect just to make it on the ride once during the early morning admission.

• Former Churro Jockey

I'd absolutely vote for DHS based on their ToT, Rockin Roller Coaster over CA Screamin, and definitely their restaurants. DHS doesn't have anything like Cars Land yet (although I think it's all but confirmed at this point), but add Cars Land and a Sar Wars land and get rid of the tram tour and it will be a legit park that can stand on it's own.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

DCA is superior in most things to DHS except for the Hollywood section. It is as simple as that. I largely enjoy DCA because you don't have to step foot in Hollywood. If they can can fix this section and the cheap Paradise Pier, the park will be considered fixed.

DHS suffers from being too much of a Studios park, which really doesn't work. No one cares about movie making. The Hollywood-ish aspects are over emphasized and boring. Thankfully, it will be pared back for a Star Wars Land.

When I used to go to WDW between 1989-1992, Disney/MGM Studios was my favorite park at the the resort. It's such a shame that it's downgraded so much and lost SO MUCH of it's past charm and appeal. If I had to grade it back then, I would've given it a 9. Now, I think it's a 7.

As for California Adventure, the first time I went was in 2008. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as everyone said, but I wasn't particularly thrilled either. I'd have rated it a 6. Now with the additions of World of Color and CarsLand, I give it a 7. I'm not a fan of Buena Vista Street, and think it pales in comparison significantly to Hollywood Boulevard at DHS.

So, I'd take old DHS over anything. In their current forms, I might still lean towards DHS over DCA, simply because there are things there that are still unique and nostalgic for me. Examples are Hollywood Boulevard, the Prime Time '50s Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine in Theatre, and the Echo Lake area in general.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What's really sad is the HAT at the end of the boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    If they got rid of their awful backlot tour, and left lights motors actions, they could put a carsland there and themed. Lights Motor Action would be at the front of it all. I am sure imagineers would come up with some kind of transition between real world of cars to the land of cars.
    The Backlot Tour used to be AWESOME. It was a full two hours and ended with a walk through of the animation area that had a really fun video featuring Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite walking you through actual animators' work spaces, and showing you how hand drawn cartoons are created. And everything leading upto that point was really well done too, a full, legit backlot tour, the way it should be. Not this crap abbreviated and diluted version they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

DHS suffers from being too much of a Studios park, which really doesn't work. No one cares about movie making. The Hollywood-ish aspects are over emphasized and boring. Thankfully, it will be pared back for a Star Wars Land.
    I disagree. I know a lot of people (me included) who like the fact that it IS a studios park and who are interested in it because of the fact that this makes it a unique park. It's just a shame that DHS has fallen off with stupid things like the downgrading of the Backlot Tour, the stupid sorcerer hat that everyone loathes, and the lack of maintenance/updating of the Great Movie Ride.

Hopefully along with the addition of Star Wars they also upgrade the other parts of the park too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast