One day only birthday trip, I need help!

Short story, I turn 40 next week. My husband is awesome!

Ok, longer version....... I have one sister, Cindy. For our Birthdays instead of giving each other gifts we have "sister day." It has varied every year sometimes a trip to Red Lobster and miniature golf. Other years a trip like Las Vegas or Mexico. We now live in different towns and have 2 kids each. I am sad to say we have not had sister day in a few years.

So for many months my sweet husband has been planning to surprise me for my 40th Birthday! We are having sister day in Disneyland!

We have one day, ONE DAY, on Friday November 8. This is the start of a holiday weekend. There is early entry at DCA at 8:00 that we will not be eligible for. Then both parks open at 9:00.

I need help with a touring plan, please!!

Cindy loves Disneyland but has not been to DCA in 10 years! She has not been on Tower of Terror!

So do we start in DCA or Disneyland. I need a plan people. Help ME!! Please!
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• 2013-14 Premium APer

Re: One day only birthday trip, I need help!

Radiator Springs Racers FIRST THING, then Tower of Terror if you don't Fast Pass RSR. The only other ride at DCA that gets really long is the Toy Story Midway Mania, which doesn't have a Fast Pass.

The over at DL you can pick and choose from the FP availables, I think Space Mountain will be back up normally with the Halloween overlay removed, so you should ride that obviously. The new Star Tours is awesome as well.

Stay as long as you can hack it, don't forget to take lots of pics and HAVE FUN!

Oh and definitely download the Micechat app for your smart phone, it will help you with wait times and such.

Also, don't forget to use the single rider lines if you are unable to pick up multiple fastpasses for things like Soarin', RSR, etc.

My fiance and I do single rider on RSR. Sometimes we end up in the same car, just seated one in the front row and one in the back. Usually we end up racing each other, which is always fun. We also go single rider on Indy - usually we end up in the same car on that too, just not next to each other. It's a good alternative when we want to go on lots of rides but don't mind splitting up!

As other mentioned, RSR is the first thing you need to do. They don't hand out fastpass during the early morning hour, but there can still be people waiting for them when they open the fastpass... So do a fastpass first thing, if you can't get a fastpass for RSR I would strongly suggest you not bother.... After you do the RSR fastpass go try to get the world of color fastpass if you plan on doing it... At that point run back to hit soar'n if you plan on it they may not be that crowded... then go for the Toy Mania (if you want it)... now if you plan on California Screaming this is a good time to hit it on the way back from Toy Mania, followed by Tower of Terror... At this point you maybe close to time for RSR... Nothing really else you are likely to have on the top of your list for DCA... if you need to kill a little time Maters ride in car land is decent... If you need real short lines then you have the Ariel ride that is short....

At some point I assume you will want DL... if your sister hasn't been in a long time head for Indy first to get a fast pass... Others you would want a fast pass for if you can get it are Star Tours and Space Mountain... If you plan on Splash Mountain you will likely want to do a fastpass if possible... I would also recommend you that if you do rides like Splash Mountain or Grizzly River Run that you take a poncho with you and wear it. Depending on the time of day you ride and the temp, you can get pretty cold and miserable after riding either one of them because being wet in November can be a very cold experience.

Lastly, if you plan on eating at a place that requires reservations, I would start trying to make them sooner than later. Not only could they fill up but their system has been wonky lately and will not always work worth a flip.

• formerly very helpful

My biggest piece of advice is to do single rider and to eat at non- peak times for lunch and dinner to avoid some crowds.

and be patient!

• Indiana Scott

During our last stay at the resort we came up with a somewhat different strategy for RSR. We avoid RSR in the morning because it's so crowded. We have an early lunch (11:30) and then hit RSR. At that point the lines are shorter and we end up waiting 35~45 minutes (during the week).

Good luck and have a great time.
    Scott

Thank you all for the help! Couple of questions:

Once our tickets are active, say we went into Disneyland. Can I then take her ticket and run over to DCA to get fastpasses? Could she stay at Disneyland (say in line for coffee) and I take both tickets or does she have to use hers at DCA to make it active for that park?

Where is the RSR fastpass machine? Near bugsland? When you enter the park do you go left toward TOT or go straight?

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by poohnpiglet View Post

Once our tickets are active, say we went into Disneyland. Can I then take her ticket and run over to DCA to get fastpasses? Could she stay at Disneyland (say in line for coffee) and I take both tickets or does she have to use hers at DCA to make it active for that park? Yes. The tickets only need to be activated in one of the parks in order to obtain a FP in either park.

Where is the RSR fastpass machine? Near bugsland? When you enter the park do you go left toward TOT or go straight?
    Yes...The FP queue is located by ITTBAB in Bugsland. When you arrive in DCA, go up Buena Vista Street. The FP line will be going from Bugsland, around Carthay Circle Theater and down Hollywood Blvd towards the Hyperion Theater.
    Like I suggested on the other board, I wouldn't even bother with the FP. I would enjoy a few quiet hours in DL and then head over to DCA. Use the Single Rider line for RSR.

Quote Originally Posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
    Yes...The FP queue is located by ITTBAB in Bugsland. When you arrive in DCA, go up Buena Vista Street. The FP line will be going from Bugsland, around Carthay Circle Theater and down Hollywood Blvd towards the Hyperion Theater.
    Like I suggested on the other board, I wouldn't even bother with the FP. I would enjoy a few quiet hours in DL and then head over to DCA. Use the Single Rider line for RSR.
    So nice of you to help me on not one but two boards. Yes, I think you are absolutely right! She will not feel like she is there until she is at Disneyland. So the plan now is:

Get to Disneyland at RD and head over to Indy, HM, POTC Then grab fp for Star Tours or SM.
    Heading over to DCA get TOT fp. Late lunch at mcCarthy. Single Rider for RSR and Soarin. Stay in DCA until 10 closing then back to Disneyland for 2 more hours. Oh my I am tiered just thinking about it.

Is this doable?

• Mistress of Evil

So nice of you to help me on not one but two boards. Yes, I think you are absolutely right! She will not feel like she is there until she is at Disneyland. So the plan now is:

Get to Disneyland at RD and head over to Indy, HM, POTC Then grab fp for Star Tours or SM.
    Heading over to DCA get TOT fp. Late lunch at mcCarthy. Single Rider for RSR and Soarin. Stay in DCA until 10 closing then back to Disneyland for 2 more hours. Oh my I am tiered just thinking about it.

Is this doable?
    LOL...I am tired too.
    I think it is very doable.

Once our tickets are active, say we went into Disneyland. Can I then take her ticket and run over to DCA to get fastpasses? Could she stay at Disneyland (say in line for coffee) and I take both tickets or does she have to use hers at DCA to make it active for that park?

I think the other post is incorrect. IF you wanted fastpasses to a DL ride you would have both needed to have entered the DL park at least once that day... same goes for DCA. IF you both went to DL first then you could have either one of you run around getting a fastpass in DL... If she left DL and you stay you could still get a fastpass because the system would not show that she had left. It does however require that you have entered the park at least once that day. My daughter slipped through the gate one day without them scanning her ticket in. When she tried to get a fastpass with the ticket it would not work.

I am not sure if the system would detect you entering CA and at that point canceling your ability to use it in DL or not. I have never tried. But I do not think you could get RSR passes with both the tickets unless you had both entered CA.

As long as you scan your tickets at either park that day, you should be able to go to the other park without your sister and get a fastpass.

If you ask a Cast Member in the park, they will tell you otherwise, but I believe they are trying to keep people from trying to get Fast Passes for their entire party without having used those tickets for entry that day (for example, the wife and kids are still eating breakfast at the hotel).

Don't forget that the rules for using FastPasses have changed in the past year. If you don't return within the time window printed on the FP, they will no longer allow you into the FastPass line (this was always the official procedure, but had not been enforced until recently).

• Mistress of Evil

While in line for the RSR FP, I have often heard the CMs walking the line stating that guests need to have their tickets scanned at one of the parks in order to get a FP in either park.
    i have also done this personally.

I think I was just having a moment of panic. I will be utilizing single rider lines. Trying to coordinate fast passes times when not staying the entire day in one park might be to hard.

The original plan was to tell me and my sister 30 minutes before we leave. I accidentally found the priceline reservation 10 minutes after my hubby printed it. So now I get to plan but it will still be a surprise for Cindy. Both of our husbands have the belief that there is a Target down there and we can just buy anything we did not bring. I am so worried about what shoes Cindy might have. She thinks she is spending the weekend at my house. Flip flops are fine for here but not an entire day walking around two parks!

I think that I was worried about me being the runner in order to save her feet. But, we will visit Disneyland in the morning and then DCA in the afternoon.

Honestly, I think you should start with disneyland first and get whatever rides you can on there. Disneyland is the busiest of them both, because it is way more kid friendly so if you go to the Disneyland park first you will have more time to be at DCA with your sister to take her on everything she hasnt been on.