Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

The first time I rode it I waited for 55 minutes on a CM preview day. I think that for a first time viewer, this is an ok wait time. don't know if I would have thought that if I had waited 90 minutes and I do know that I wouldnt wait that long again... but for a first timer, 55 minutes was ok.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

This is great news and surely what DCA needs!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

When a low-moderate capacity attraction becomes popular, can it be too popular for it's own good? I'm sure we're all thankful that Monsters, Inc. is not a Fastpass attraction. However, how much will these crowds die down? If the Chew-Chew train in FFF can still have long wait times, Monsters, Inc. will likely continue to have them. If only there were more family style dark rides to balance the crowds out. A monster hit? Sure looks like it. Thanks for the pics, Fishbulb!

[quote=fastpassmountain]If only there were more family style dark rides to balance the crowds out. [quote]

Well, you gotta start somewhere. Remember the old adage, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Maybe if Monsters remains popular over a long period of time, DCA will see more and more family-oriented dark rides added to its ranks. I'm sure WDI already has some ideas for new dark rides drawn up and stored somewhere, just waiting for park management to green light 'em. Time will tell....
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Wink Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

We also had to wait a good hour to ride Monster Inc, although the wait was long my kids loved it. And yes the line will die down but the true question will be, will there still be a line or just walk on ( 5-10 mins max wait) That will tell us if the ride is good or not. I honestly think its a great ride...short but great for my kids. But I do think the queue was very very plain. What happened there? Anyways thats just my $0.02
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Closed Account

i saw it the week after the soft openings started, and waited about 35 minutes. It is "cute", as is often said. There is no way i would wait over 30 to ride again.

• Up is Down

yeah the thing is though.... even though there was a big line for monsters did it make people stay in the park and ride the other stuff? I mean by the looks of it the lines are huge but if people are only riding that then leaving it really isnt helping the park that much!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Atomic Audioanimatronic

I just went on it for the first time yesterday... I found it to be a big disappointment, and have to say that I like the Winnie The Pooh ride more. With that said, let the crucifixion begin...

It is good to see how popular the ride has become. Of course more popular than pooh and Disney was smart to open it right as they offered the 2 fer. People go on the ride and hopefully spread the news of how good it is. This ride is well done and will hopefully not lose its appeal for a long time. Peter Pan has the hanging down nobelty that makes the ride exciting. yet because of this the capacity is rediculously low. Which is the reason for it always having a long line. Monsters however appears to have okay capacity. My educated guess would be a car being dispatched every 20 seconds or so. ( I Counted in my head) with hopes than on average you could fit about 7 people per car. sometimes more sometimes less. I would assume that you could fit 9 people 3 across in three rows. small children and adults.
    so 3 times a minute you carry 7 people 21 people a minute. Multiplied by 60 and you get about 1280 per hour but of course some vehicles will be stalled so i assume they are aiming for around 1150 per hour. Not great but not too bad.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    But, again. WTF does MI have to do with a Hollywood backlot? I have been in my fair share of backlots and sets and I dont remember hanging doors on tracks and furry monsters..
    Hehe, furry monsters.

• Live from Progress City

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    If the original Journey into Imagination is anything to go by, Dark Rides can be REALLY popular - if you put the effort in to make them good in the first place.
    And if the post-rehab Journey into YOUR Imagination is anything to go by, Dark Rides can fill me with a destructive and homocidal rage that make me want to lay siege to the Team Disney building with a crowbar and 50lbs of C-4 explosive...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Yeah, well explain to me how Muppets fit in Hollywood?
    Perfectly. #1, they are filming a movie and #2, its a movie theatre. Movies movies movies.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelNeptune
    I just went on it for the first time yesterday... I found it to be a big disappointment, and have to say that I like the Winnie The Pooh ride more. With that said, let the crucifixion begin...
    no arguement here. pooh has the great songs and evokes many more memories for me. plus I really like the landscaping out front.

• Circle of Ancients

Man, that's amazing. We rode 3 times on NYE and our longest wait was about 5 minutes.

It's a great ride, but I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for it. There are non of the Fantasyland style dark rides I would wait longer than that for.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

But, again. WTF does MI have to do with a Hollywood backlot? I have been in my fair share of backlots and sets and I dont remember hanging doors on tracks and furry monsters. Also, MI was not even filmed on a set or anything close, and not even in Hollywood!

Again DCA's theming goes askew. I can understand Hollywood Tower of Terror since that building EXISTS in HOLLYWOOD in reality, but MI?
    Perfectly. #1, they are filming a movie and #2, its a movie theatre. Movies movies movies.
    I suppose. However, but I still think Muppets is a stretch for the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, especially since the Muppets aren't real and are just puppets. If the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is supposed to be a real Backlot or real Hollywood, then Muppets, which are animated characters don't quite fit, IMO.

- Playhouse Disney fits because it's "Live on Stage!"
    - Disney Animation fits because its an obvious exhibit of the magic of Animation
    - Tower of Terror is a stretch, because if its supposed to be a "real" Backlot, then a "real" Hotel wouldn't be there. But we'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it's set in Hollywood.
    - The Hyperion Theater works because its another "live on stage" production.
    - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - Play It! worked because it was simulating a "hot set."

If the Backlot is supposed to be a believeable film studio backlot, then really none of the attractions fit except Playhouse Disney and Who Wants to Be A Millionaire. Those two attractoins did or could simulate live "hot sets." Tower of Terror doesn't. Hyperion doesnt. Muppets doesn't. And well, Monsters doesnt.

I'm not disagreeing that Monsters doesnt match the theme. But neither do the majority of attractions in the "Backlot" do. If the land really wanted to themeatically "work" it should probably just be called "Hollywoodland" or something like that.

I think Monsters, Inc fits in the small amount that it does is because its based on a movie and its designed to put you in the middle of the action - it makes you sort of become part of the movie.

Anyways...
    Sorry for going majorly off-topic.

Now, back on topic!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast