Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 93
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    My sister went to Disneyland this weekend and waited a total of twelve minutes for Indiana Jones, hopped over to DCA, waited 25 minutes for Tower and then waited 90 minutes for MI. This is a perfect example about how novelty of rides and capacity work.

    When Indy opened, there were lines out to Main Street, yes, but everything dies down once something new opens. Of course MI is popular, it's the "BIG THING" now at the Resort. (funny, I had to tell my sister about it, is she just oblivious to all the advertising?!) Yet, there's something about this that's a bit exciting: When Tower opened, I never remember waiting more than 30 minutes. Maybe it's just the great capacity, but I swear I've never seen the line for more than 45. Yet, this is got to be the first new attraction in DCA to have to use overflow lines. Wow!!

    But, take it ten years from now. If MI has a five minute wait (if it still exists) in 2016, I won't worry. Indy will probably have a three minute wait. It's just the way things work...

  2. #32

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I suppose. However, but I still think Muppets is a stretch for the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, especially since the Muppets aren't real and are just puppets. If the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is supposed to be a real Backlot or real Hollywood, then Muppets, which are animated characters don't quite fit, IMO.

    - Playhouse Disney fits because it's "Live on Stage!"
    - Disney Animation fits because its an obvious exhibit of the magic of Animation
    - Tower of Terror is a stretch, because if its supposed to be a "real" Backlot, then a "real" Hotel wouldn't be there. But we'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it's set in Hollywood.
    - The Hyperion Theater works because its another "live on stage" production.
    - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - Play It! worked because it was simulating a "hot set."

    If the Backlot is supposed to be a believeable film studio backlot, then really none of the attractions fit except Playhouse Disney and Who Wants to Be A Millionaire. Those two attractoins did or could simulate live "hot sets." Tower of Terror doesn't. Hyperion doesnt. Muppets doesn't. And well, Monsters doesnt.

    I'm not disagreeing that Monsters doesnt match the theme. But neither do the majority of attractions in the "Backlot" do. If the land really wanted to themeatically "work" it should probably just be called "Hollywoodland" or something like that.

    I think Monsters, Inc fits in the small amount that it does is because its based on a movie and its designed to put you in the middle of the action - it makes you sort of become part of the movie.

    Anyways...
    Sorry for going majorly off-topic.


    Now, back on topic!
    It's all quite simple, Hpllywood is known as the movie production capital of the world. Monsters is a film, and the Muppets have been featured in the movies and on television. They both fit just fine.

    Monsters looks to be a big hit, and we'd have nothing if it wasn't there. Can't wait to try it out! Although the Muppets attraction is consistant w/ Hollywood theming (for aforementioned reason), I don't care that much for it. So, I would be happier w/ another attraction - perhaps one that is based on a live action movie,
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2006 at 11:30 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  3. #33

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I suppose. However, but I still think Muppets is a stretch for the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, especially since the Muppets aren't real and are just puppets. If the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is supposed to be a real Backlot or real Hollywood, then Muppets, which are animated characters don't quite fit, IMO.

    - Playhouse Disney fits because it's "Live on Stage!"
    - Disney Animation fits because its an obvious exhibit of the magic of Animation
    - Tower of Terror is a stretch, because if its supposed to be a "real" Backlot, then a "real" Hotel wouldn't be there. But we'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it's set in Hollywood.
    - The Hyperion Theater works because its another "live on stage" production.
    - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - Play It! worked because it was simulating a "hot set."

    If the Backlot is supposed to be a believeable film studio backlot, then really none of the attractions fit except Playhouse Disney and Who Wants to Be A Millionaire. Those two attractoins did or could simulate live "hot sets." Tower of Terror doesn't. Hyperion doesnt. Muppets doesn't. And well, Monsters doesnt.

    I'm not disagreeing that Monsters doesnt match the theme. But neither do the majority of attractions in the "Backlot" do. If the land really wanted to themeatically "work" it should probably just be called "Hollywoodland" or something like that.

    I think Monsters, Inc fits in the small amount that it does is because its based on a movie and its designed to put you in the middle of the action - it makes you sort of become part of the movie.

    Anyways...
    Sorry for going majorly off-topic.


    Now, back on topic!
    It's all quite simple, Hpllywood is known as the movie production capital of the world. Monsters is a film, and the Muppets have been featured in the movies and on television. They both fit just fine.

    Monsters looks to be a big hit, and we'd have nothing if it wasn't there. Can't wait to try it out! Although the Muppets attraction is consistant w/ Hollywood theming (for aforementioned reason), I don't care that much for it. So, I would be happier w/ another attraction - perhaps one that is based on a live action movie.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-30-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #34

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    It's all quite simple, Hpllywood is known as the movie production capital of the world. Monsters is a film, and the Muppets have veen feeture in the movies and pn television. They both fit just fine.

    Monsters looks to be a big hit, and we'd have nothing if it wasn't there. Can't wait to try it out! Although the Muppets attraction is consistant w/ Hollywood theming (for aforementioned reason), I don't care that much for it. So, I would be happier w/ another attraction - perhaps one that is based on a live action movie,
    Yeah... that was my main objective of my huge post - to show that the both fit and they both don't fit. I agree with you, both fit to their own extent. I was only disputing Gibbage because if Monsters doesnt fit, then I cant buy into the fact that Muppets fits either. But whatever.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  5. #35

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    You presented quite a noble argument, MasterGracey. I applaud you.

    I wonder if those who seem to kibitz about everything under the sun ever have any happy momments...any fun? I'd hate to think that anyone would doom themselves to a life of wondering around looking for things to get offended over, and lable inappropriate. How sad, I just don't get it
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  6. #36

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,863

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Perfectly. #1, they are filming a movie and #2, its a movie theatre. Movies movies movies.
    But this is a Hollywood studio. They don't have movie theaters on a backlot!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  7. #37

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,863

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    It's all quite simple, Hpllywood is known as the movie production capital of the world. Monsters is a film, and the Muppets have been featured in the movies and on television. They both fit just fine.

    Monsters looks to be a big hit, and we'd have nothing if it wasn't there. Can't wait to try it out! Although the Muppets attraction is consistant w/ Hollywood theming (for aforementioned reason), I don't care that much for it. So, I would be happier w/ another attraction - perhaps one that is based on a live action movie,
    I really don't see how you could say they fit. It is like having cows and an Ice Cream Parlor. They are related but really have nothing to do with each other. If you have to explain the way they fit to people, they don't fit. It should be obvious.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  8. #38

    • Earth Intruder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Tangent Universe
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5
    My sister went to Disneyland this weekend and waited a total of twelve minutes for Indiana Jones, hopped over to DCA, waited 25 minutes for Tower and then waited 90 minutes for MI. This is a perfect example about how novelty of rides and capacity work.

    When Indy opened, there were lines out to Main Street, yes, but everything dies down once something new opens. Of course MI is popular, it's the "BIG THING" now at the Resort. (funny, I had to tell my sister about it, is she just oblivious to all the advertising?!) Yet, there's something about this that's a bit exciting: When Tower opened, I never remember waiting more than 30 minutes. Maybe it's just the great capacity, but I swear I've never seen the line for more than 45. Yet, this is got to be the first new attraction in DCA to have to use overflow lines. Wow!!

    But, take it ten years from now. If MI has a five minute wait (if it still exists) in 2016, I won't worry. Indy will probably have a three minute wait. It's just the way things work...
    While I agree with your main point that MI has a long line because its the new thing at the Resort, lines do not always get shorter the older the rides is. See: Space Mountain/Splash Mountain, which almost always have a pretty hefty wait.

    ToT ... hehe the longest I have seen ToT EVER was 35 mins, when it first opened. 90% of the time the ride is a walk-on.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)



    Founding Member of the BA!

  9. #39

    • All you need is LOVE
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dland USA
    Posts
    9,141

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Thanks love the pictures


  10. #40

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I really don't see how you could say they fit. It is like having cows and an Ice Cream Parlor. They are related but really have nothing to do with each other. If you have to explain the way they fit to people, they don't fit. It should be obvious.
    To say, Jiminy, that movie based attractions do not belong in a movie themed area of a park is illogical and rediculous. Sure, you can drum up all the contrived nuances that you desire to support any misconceived hypothesis.

    What's your point anyway? Would you like to shut down the Hollywood section, and tell all the families with little children to scram, including those that are enjoying the new mega-popular Monsters attraction? Suppose that one of the kids walked up to you balling their eyes out. Would you tell them "Sorry. This area has been shut down by the 'Theming Police' as it's attractions do not fit, and are therefore inappropriate and offensive. Goodbye kid. Have a nice day."

    If this is not the goal of those who share your perspective, it sure seems like one steady onslaught of negativity in the absense of clear purpose.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  11. #41

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    I would never wait more then 10-15 min for this ride. 1 hour and a half.... what a waste.

  12. #42

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    407

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    If it's this popular, I can't imagine if we got whatever they're building at TDL. They just announced they're spending $88 Million American on their ride, and I think it's using existing buildings too!

  13. #43

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,109
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    wow... If you think this ride is so aweful because it doesn't fit the theme, please stay off it!! Less wait time






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  14. #44

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    wow... If you think this ride is so aweful because it doesn't fit the theme, please stay off it!! Less wait time


    I couldn't agree more, Evan. Less wait time is a wonderful thing! The "Theme Police" aren't any fun anyway.

    Even if these complainers were allowed to call the shots on the attractions for a theme park, nothing would happen because they would never agree with eachother.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  15. #45

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior


    I couldn't agree more, Evan. Less wait time is a wonderful thing! The "Theme Police" aren't any fun anyway.

    Even if these complainers were allowed to call the shots on the attractions for a theme park, nothing would happen because they would never agree with eachother.
    So you would rather not have theme or have it in one giant pot of muddled ideas? Well that is DCA lovers for you. I just don’t understand people that like to defend weaknesses on rides. I also believe it would be quite the opposite of never agreeing with each other. There would be so many cool ideas you wouldn't even begin to count. Goodbye kid. Have a nice day.

    If you believe just because monsters was a movie that it deserves to be located in the Hollywood back lot you are out of your mind. The excuse is extremely weak at best. Even Muppets has a way stronger argument to being in the Hollywood back lot due to it being directly related to Hollywood making real life movies. There were actual sets used in Hollywood for these movies while Monsters Inc was made on a computer. In what way does this ride scream Hollywood? Believe me, you won’t have to worry about the wait time once the ride is a few months old because it fails to immerse you in a story from start to finish. Even the Fantasyland rides you compare to so much have a themed line which makes those rides superior and even Roger Rabbit has this as well. All the people who care about the parks only want the theme to be rich and relevant to where they are at, is that too much to ask? After all I thought the whole point to Disney parks was the theme? You take the theme away and you are left with Six Flags which DCA is borderline hitting. If there were no so called "theme police" then there would be tons of corruption everywhere. It is the same idea with real police. You may hate them, but without them everything would fall apart.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 01-31-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney goes 'Monster'
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
  2. Old Sea Monster
    By AmandaPearl in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
  3. I am a Monster!
    By ThemeParkMan in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
  4. dc monster reincarnated!
    By wookiegirl in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 03:31 PM
  5. The Dc Monster.. Part 2?
    By Tallulu in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •