• Former Churro Jockey

Google Glass at Disneyland?

So I haven't heard any official word yet on whether Disney is going to ban Google Glass from their theme parks, but assuming they don't, would you be willing to use it at a Disney park? I'm thinking it could enhance the park experience in ways that were not possible before. At it's most basic level, all it does is save the 3 or 4 seconds that it takes to pull out your smartphone and check current wait times or take a picture. However, as someone who has been to the park hundreds and hundreds of times, it might be fun to walk around with some kind of augmented reality feature, especially if it could be customizable. I'd love one that pops up with random facts when you look at something (i.e. hidden mickey, name of imagineers who designed it, inspiration for, etc.), and maybe even would show you an overlay of what something looked like before a rennovation (i.e. Market house). What would really be interesting though is if you could get a group of friends and create a custom scavenger hunt, kind of like the kid one at Epcot with the cell phones that Disney offers. You could create your own virtual Walk in Walts Footsteps tour where you have to go to all of the rides, stores, restaurants, drinking fountains, etc. that Walt Disney personally oversaw, or experience all of the rides, shops, restaurants, park benches, trashcans, etc. designed by a specific imagineer. You could sit on a park bench on Main St and virtually watch an old parade (I'd go with Mulan). The possibilities are endless. So I for one am hoping Disney allows these and maybe just places certain restrictions like you can't wear them on a ride (which I wouldn't want to do anyway), or in a bathroom, or while watching a parade, fireworks, Fantasmic, etc.

So what about you? Cool new way to experience the park for someone who's been there a hundred times before, or a destruction of Walt's original vision and another sign of the end of society as we know it?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• First star to the right..

Re: Google Glass at Disneyland?

There is an argumented reality game for glass, can't remember the name, but it has to do with shooting aliens in the sky by looking up with the glasses on.

Another argumented reality game that google has produced is called Ingress. It's made by google; it's a tower defense game. There are 'portals' all over disneyland. It's now in open beta and I recommend you get it if you have an android phone! It's awesome! However, it will destroy your battery lol.

Download the game and check it out! Highly recommended!

• my favorite sociopath

there is a youboob video featuring the use of the googleglass at Disneyland. It surprising clear and not jumpy at all.

• Sock Puppet

Oi highly doubt that Disney wold ban Google Glass, but yeah, I would definitely use it

• Singing Drinker

I dislike the surveillance issues the Glass represents (you think people got pissy over Escape from Tomorrowland using footage commercially that was shot in tourist style? Wait 'till Glass footage starts getting that treatment). I truly feel they're bad for us as a society.

However, I don't think Disneyland will ban them until the first few major voyeurcam cases result in damages against facilities for not banning them.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Senior Minion

"No more secrets, Marty. No more secrets."
    - Sneakers, 1992
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Done with MC.

Not me, it could only detract from the experience.

• -

Glass sounds as pointless to me as that dumb watch that one can buy with the Galaxy Note. How hard is it to take one's phone out of their pocket to take a picture or a video. Personally, I don't want to walk around Disneyland looking like Geordi.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    ...I truly feel they're bad for us as a society.
    Which is worse for "society" Google (glass or company) or Facebook?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    Which is worse for "society" Google (glass or company) or Facebook?
    Both are intrinsically corrosive in the way they conduct their business and encourage their users to behave.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Both are intrinsically corrosive in the way they conduct their business and encourage their users to behave.
    ka-Blammo*

For Disney's legal department the fun will begin when a more mature Glass has proliferated, spawning countless videos of bad CM behavior, worse guest behavior, and every copyrighted image and sound in Disney's parks.

*a very large and resounding "Bingo."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ka-Blammo*

For Disney's legal department the fun will begin when a more mature Glass has proliferated, spawning countless videos of bad CM behavior, worse guest behavior, and every copyrighted image and sound in Disney's parks.

*a very large and resounding "Bingo."
    Just another computer for people to glue their eyes to and check out of reality/decent social life. At least it's smaller than an iPad haha

And they will still walk into things and trample your toes because they aren't paying attention. When I see people glued to some device and they walk, trip, stumble, or generally make an idiot of themself, I laugh at them. Or they'll be like blu tooth wearers that don't stop talking to the air very loudly and you wonder if they're talking to you or not.