Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

DCA's Aladdin, a Real Cave of Wonders.

I had the chance to catch a performance of Aladdin, A Musical Spectacular this evening at DCA and as the show played out before me I sat wondering a few things.

I wondered if I caught the show on a bad night or if Jasmine had contracted the bird flu that killed off her caged bird friend since 1) her voice warbled and cracked and 2) her focal set piece, the bird cage, never appereared. I wondered if the stunt cast was not there tonight to perform the acrobactics of flying carpet. I wondered why the Genie's jokes mostly came off as stale.

I wondered how much longer this spectacular could go on.

The cast, try as they did, simply could not overcome the challenges that faced them. The show started off well enough, but soon the problems started. The Genie's jokes fizzled with humor about "Nick and Jessica and Napoleon Dynomite. Jasmine's Big solo number came and the poor actress tried to cover up what seemed like a cold with overly emotional vocals . Next the flying carpet number came and no flying carpet above the audience which left the audience to be "dazzled" by world land marks dancing around in fog on stage as Aladdin and Jasmine sang offstage. Lastly Jafar's transformation from Evil snake monster to Big Red Genie was more-less pantomimed and insinuated by Aladdin as the big puppet snake sunk back down into it's place sans a red genie. All of these incidents were accented by other set pieces that didn't appear or trap doors that didn't open. This show was never a favorite of mine, but the cast ALWAYS gave it their all. It seems they are still trying but that this show is aging terribly.

What happend tonight? Was the stunt cast off? Was there a shortage of castmembers? Was it an "off" night? Whatever the reason I am hoping that the peole out in TDA are asking the same questions and wondering the same things. One last thing I am wondering: Is that Hamburger lady still putting shows together for Disneyland?

-Fishbulb

"All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: DCA's Aladdin, a Real Cave of Wonders.

Now see, I really do like this show (for the most part). However, it does seem that there are certain castmembers who are just exceptional in their roles and do an amazing job (like the genie telling wonderful jokes with impeccable timing) but other times, like the scenario you mentioned, the whole show seems to be half-baked and not fully performed. But it's odd that you had a negative performance on a weekend day...strange.

• I Hug My Tapirs

That's really a shame. I really loved that show, but I haven't seen it in awhile. It's sad to hear that it's starting to fall apart like that. I hope that was a one-time problem, and not a consistent issue.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Disneyland Freak

Off night.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Bummer. I hope it was just one show that's off. I love this show, and I see it when I can.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

This folks is what we call live theater

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Totally.
    Its had a great long run, it is a wonderful show.
    I know it costs money, but they just need another good classic show like that. They have so many to choose from.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Man, I hope that wasn't Dee Dee
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

The show is "eh" to me. It was good, but not great. Jasmine's solo is kind of boring. This show has laste dkonger than the Hyperion's previous shows. I wouldn't mind seeing a new show. I would love to see a mini-Riverdance show. That would be great!

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

i miss blast.

• Closed Account

Love the show to death. The Napolian, and Nick and Jessica are jokes that i have heard for the last 10 or more shows i have seen recently. Same with desperate housewives, Ozzy or joan rivers, dr. phil, "i'll go find nemo", etc. Jokes have different effects on different audiences. I saw it a few days ago and the Aladin reminded me of Brendan Frasier. He kept breaking the "4th wall" for you actors out there, and looked out into the audience for apporval all the time. As unproffesional as that usually is, it was quite refreshing to watch, it made me laugh. The Jafar was terrible. He was not believable. Most of the Jafars are wonderful, but this Jafar was "acting as himself as Jafar, not as Jafar. It is usually top noche performing, I know it was an off day. Though it shouldn't matter who your fellow actors are, sometimes when you perform with a certain cast and get into a certain rythym, and when you work with a differnt cast, the show OVERALL show quality may not be as strong. Techninal effects break all the time. Even broadway shows like WIKED have problems: Galinda's bubble, the Defying Gravity lift. Sometimes multiple effects may experience problems at the same time. But when you have a cast of around 30 people plus a crew around 10, and you schedule show, it is not that easy to cancel the shows and say: Sorry, too many difficulties to have shows today. It is then the actors responsibilites to make it seem as though nothing is wrong. (Which can be very hard with a show such as Aladdin.)

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

I remember going to the Cast Member preview and besides the props coming in and out off queue it was great. The crew had awesome voices and Genie had some great puns. But recently probably Oct 2005 we saw a show and it was kinda sad, the singing and the energy of the show felt off and mellow. Although the show is still great compared to other Disney in-park stage shows. I know the original cast is gone but why did Disney seem to hore second rate singers/actors for the understudies. Less pay? Don't get me wrong I love the show. Its still my fav in DCA... Shoot I worked in hyperion theater when they were building the sets and rehearsing, so I have many great memories of Aladdin and Hyperion theater, hopefully it stays that way. =P
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

A question I have is this, can they even fill the hyperion??? It's a huge theater!!!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

They used too. I remember going to one show and they made us sit on the top floor and there were barely any seats up there. So, now I doubt it but before yes. Have you ever sat up there? the front row is pretty intense...height wise. Heck walking down the steps all I could think of is dont trip or you'll just keep falling till you hit bottom.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Closed Account

I think it is 1,800 seats?
    On a few saturdays that i was there in Nov, and Dec they had to open up the balcony about 5 min. til show, and the balcony filled up about half way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast