Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splash Mountain

• C4C6C

Splash Mountain

I have read many threads and stories here about Splash Mountain not having all its parts working properly, especially the final scene.

Early last month, my family went to DLR on 3 day passes and upgraded to the cheapest annual passes for about $20 more. We didn't get to ride Splash.

Anyways, I went yesterday and rode Splash. This ride needs some serious work. Overall, the AAs just look dirty and old. Many of the light that illuminate them just aren't working and you struggle to see what they are supposed to be doing.

After the drop that takes you into the show building, several scenes were completely blacked out, no lights on at all. The scenes that were lit again you could just see the AAs are in some serious need of TLC.

The final scene is bad. The top row of AA don't even move, the ship doesn't move, and many lights do not work.

Hopefully DL can shut this ride down for a major refurb in the near future to bring this great attraction back to its glory days.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Minion

Re: Splash Mountain

That's unfortunate.

• Minion

The problem does not lie with Disneyland Maintenance, but with the new DOSH regulations. By law now, Disney needs to build a scaffolding system for maintenance workers to fix the AAs on the top level of the showboat. This scaffolding system can not be built and disassembled in 1 night, so the AAs must sit until downtime is scheduled. With BTM down for extensive refurb, capacity-wise, Disneyland can not take another mountain attraction down. Those figures will sit broken until the new DOSH codes can be followed and implemented safely.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The problem does not lie with Disneyland Maintenance, but with the new DOSH regulations. By law now, Disney needs to build a scaffolding system for maintenance workers to fix the AAs on the top level of the showboat. This scaffolding system can not be built and disassembled in 1 night, so the AAs must sit until downtime is scheduled. With BTM down for extensive refurb, capacity-wise, Disneyland can not take another mountain attraction down. Those figures will sit broken until the new DOSH codes can be followed and implemented safely.
    In my opinion, "show" should trump "efficiency."

• Senior Minion

How convenient for Disney. They get to save big bucks by not making AA repairs, and if the customers complain about the shoddy show, the company just blames it on DOSH. Nice setup!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

It honestly seems to have gone way downhill in a very short time, too. I was on the ride at the end of September and didn't notice that much. I rode it again on Wednesday and was startled by how many AAs and scenes were down. The one where the characters are spinning in the leaf boat, and the showboat at the end caught my eye - the former was in complete darkness and the latter was very spooky, since there was an entire row of AAs that were not moving.

As much as I get what everyone is saying about not taking two Mountains offline at the same time - and it almost being the holidays - I really wish they'd do some work here.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    How convenient for Disney. They get to save big bucks by not making AA repairs, and if the customers complain about the shoddy show, the company just blames it on DOSH. Nice setup!
    Maybe ... but it has to be frustrating when the rules are changed after so many years. Splash was built with the guidelines of a different era.

Whether or not Disney management should just close down the attraction when it's in such disrepair is another issue entirely. I would love to hear Tony Baxter weigh in on that issue. As I recall, BTM had many elements that hadn't worked for years before this latest refurbishment - and I'm anxious to see what they've done with it and how well it will be able to be maintained.
    Last edited by MonteJ; 11-02-2013 at 10:47 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    In my opinion, "show" should trump "efficiency."
    But show should never trump safety.

• Indiana Scott

I think the problem does lie with DLR maint.
    There's no reason temporary scaffolding (or even electric lifts) couldn't be erected for a couple of days to fix the majority of these problems.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I think the problem does lie with DLR maint.
    There's no reason temporary scaffolding (or even electric lifts) couldn't be erected for a couple of days to fix the majority of these problems.
    I couldn't agree more.

Splash is my favorite, and as infrequent visitor I don't notice what is not working. For me, the ride is about the very top of the mountain floating quiet to the very dark drop of splashing. So much to take in that the AA show is all fresh, original, and magical. And that is riding three times in a row. So each mountain has to wait its turn for repair. No such thing as easy fix, ask the cable guy, or better yet that company in Canada

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    But show should never trump safety.
    Then they should fix the safety so the show can be improved. There is no excuse for letting Splash Mountain deteriorate.

Just sounds like an excuse to not fix the problem.

• Foolish Mortal

What really bothers me is the lack of respect shown by guests. I counted at least 7 water / juice bottles that were thrown off to the side of the flume both inside and outside the show building last night. Not only that, but the amount of trash in the HM queue was alarming, people just leaving their empty whatevers up on ledges and what not.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    What really bothers me is the lack of respect shown by guests. I counted at least 7 water / juice bottles that were thrown off to the side of the flume both inside and outside the show building last night. Not only that, but the amount of trash in the HM queue was alarming, people just leaving their empty whatevers up on ledges and what not.
    I know what you mean and those of us that appreciate the park and Walts vision tend to take it personally. (At least I do..)
    Last edited by ScottG; 11-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast