First trip to DLR since 1999!

We will be arriving to Disney mid afternoon on Jan 1 and will be staying at the Grand Californian Hotel until Jan 3, checking out about 7.30pm. before we fly home to Australia.
    I know this is THE busiest time. I plan to get 3 day park hoppers to be as flexible as possible with our limited time.
    We will have spent a week at WDW earlier on this trip so our aim is just to do the rides that are only at DLR plus POC, HM and IASW. I also plan to get the World of Colour dinner package.

I have a few questions please I hope I can get some help with.
    In past years have the parks reached capacity on Jan 1 and have been closed by the afternoon?
    Would Ridemax be worthwhile to us?
    Would the 3hr. Christmas tour be worthwhile, assuming I can get one for the afternoon, which would give us FP's to HM & IASW at the busiest times & a spot for the parade?
    What is the difference between magic mornings and EMH? We can enter DCA early on the 2nd & DLR on the 3rd, right?
    Anything else I should know, please feel free to share.
    Thank you.

• MaliBOOMer

Re: First trip to DLR since 1999!

Parks will reach capacity on the 31st. On the 1st I would guess it is far less likely. Ridemax is not necessary if you have a good knowledge of how to use FP and such. Personally I wouldn't do the tour, but it's up to you. Magic Mornings are Early entry to Disneyland for anyone with a multi day park hopper. Extra Magic Hour is early entry to Disneyland and California Adventure for any resort hotel guests. As far as when each park has early entry.

• Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
    • Disney California Adventure Park: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays

Since you are going during a busy time I would advise you spend as much time in the parks as possible. Open to Close.

Also you mention you plan on doing rides exclusively to Disneyland. Keep in mind even though Space Mountain is at both, the one in Disneyland is very different and much better in comparison.

Tower of Terror is also fairly different.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Catch the parade on the 1st and ISW at night, that should take up much of your time, wander back slowy to lodging and then get up rested for a full day on the 2. MM does not give you access to POC area, only FL. So during the early morning hour you should be able to complete the FL rides on your list. At 7:55 head over to AL rope drop and do the two rides on list then back to Nemo and Matterhorn. This should take care of the need to not have to purchase the tour. This will free up your evening on the 2nd to be in DCA, RSR has to be seen at night!!

• Johnny and Me!

In past years have the parks reached capacity on Jan 1 and have been closed by the afternoon?
    It usually only hits capacity on the 31st. DCA almost never hits capacity, though.

Would Ridemax be worthwhile to us?
    There are a lot of free wait time apps that are useful instead. Also, wait times are the lowest at opening and after the fireworks.

Would the 3hr. Christmas tour be worthwhile, assuming I can get one for the afternoon, which would give us FP's to HM & IASW at the busiest times & a spot for the parade?
    If you are interested in the actual tour, then yes! You will learn about the park and hear some "secrets" as well. If you are just in it for the rides and parade, then I would skip it and ride IASW and HMH in the morning when the lines are short.

What is the difference between magic mornings and EMH? We can enter DCA early on the 2nd & DLR on the 3rd, right?
    They are the same thing, just different names. The parks will be open an hour early to hotel guests.

Anything else I should know, please feel free to share.
    Take full advantage of the FastPass system. When your return window comes up, be sure to get another FastPass right away. Be sure to ride the "Jingle Cruise," the holiday-themed Jungle Cruise. Also, take some time to slow down and enjoy the details of the Parks.
    Last edited by dfan07; 11-03-2013 at 08:15 AM.