Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Why Star Wars shouldn't take over Tomorrowland

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Everyone knows the famous opening words of the scrolling text. It may be a bit more about semantics, but how could Tomorrowland be based on a story that is based, "a long time ago?" Moreover, how does this fit into the idea of Walt's famous speech, "Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future." How would we continue to, "leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy?

Besides this issue, both Tomorrowland and the Star Wars franchise deserve more. Tomorrowland should serve as a place of optimism, hope, and inspiration for the future. And despite what cynics say, this can still be accomplished today with the right vision. Star Wars is not a "land" but a series of entire worlds. To try to capture the grandeur of visiting Tattooine, Hoth, Naboo, Cloud City, the Millenium Falcon, the Senate chambers, etc. all in one corner of a landlocked park is too much to ask. It would shortchange guests in too many ways. If Disney wants to continue as the industry leader, they must commit to giving more to their guests, not less (as we have seen in TL). Tomorrowland is more than "Spaceland"...it embodies ideas about our future that go much deeper than that.

At least that's my opinion.

• Minion

Re: Why Star Wars shouldn't take over Tomorrowland

Awesome post.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lasttuesday View Post
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Everyone knows the famous opening words of the scrolling text. It may be a bit more about semantics, but how could Tomorrowland be based on a story that is based, "a long time ago?" Moreover, how does this fit into the idea of Walt's famous speech, "Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future." How would we continue to, "leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy?

Besides this issue, both Tomorrowland and the Star Wars franchise deserve more. Tomorrowland should serve as a place of optimism, hope, and inspiration for the future. And despite what cynics say, this can still be accomplished today with the right vision. Star Wars is not a "land" but a series of entire worlds. To try to capture the grandeur of visiting Tattooine, Hoth, Naboo, Cloud City, the Millenium Falcon, the Senate chambers, etc. all in one corner of a landlocked park is too much to ask. It would shortchange guests in too many ways. If Disney wants to continue as the industry leader, they must commit to giving more to their guests, not less (as we have seen in TL). Tomorrowland is more than "Spaceland"...it embodies ideas about our future that go much deeper than that.

At least that's my opinion.
    Well said. Disney has an opportunity to prove that it is capable of creating more than the narrow vision of Eisner's Tomorrowland '98. If they turn Tomorrowland into Franchiseland, they will have admitted that they are incapable of the originality, innovation and creativity that gave birth to Disneyland in the first place.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Lasttuesday is a new MiceChatter guys but (s)he's a keeper.

I created a similar thread:

STAR WARS: In Disneyland's Tomorrowland, or save it for the Third Park?

Make sure you all vote!
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 11-03-2013 at 04:45 PM.

•   
    • Minion

I would rather see Star Wars in a third park if I had to pick. The whole argument though about the first phrase of the movie I don't really buy. I know it says "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" but really when we all watch these movies do they really remind us of history more so than the future? To me they speak of technologies and cultures we haven't discovered yet and could be a part of OUR tomorrow regardless of where we sit in or own timeline. If we go by the logic that Star Wars already happens then space ship technology and anything else from Star Wars isn't a part of tomorrow at all since it's been around since a long time ago.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

This just came to mind: instead of bringing Star Wars into TL, why not bring Star Wars Weekends instead?

They could bring the majesty and fun of the films into TL, and then do the behind the scenes stuff in Hollywoodland, so that both parks can have a share?
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

I agree 100%. I love Star Wars and the existing attractions/shows they have that relate to it, but in no way should that be all that TL is about. I am really hoping that the whole Optimist/Tomorrowland movie theme is the secret to the new Tomorrowland because it feels a WHOLE lot more Walt and the original TL than anything Star Wars does.

I do like the idea of Star Wars Weekend since it's temporary.

• formerly very helpful

People talk about how today is too cynical of a world to focus on the optimistic future once envisioned by Tomorrowland. There are so many problems to face today and in the future. Pollution, political unrest, war, violence, just to name a few. But I can't think of a time when we needed an optimistic future to focus on more than now. You better believe an optimistic Tomorrowland is relevant today.

• Heavy Breather

If there was a third park it would be the best place to put it. The only problem would be what to do with Star Tours. Tomorrowland, much like EPCOT's Future World has been having a bit of an identity crisis for the past 15 years or so. There are talking fish, space toys, and a big budget 3D music video in a land that is supposed to inspire and educate(to some extent, albeit not as much as Future World). I am a little bias in that I don't mind Star Tours in TL, just look at my username. Hopefully, if a rumored remodel does come to fruition we will see TL predict what mankind can accomplish in the years to come.

If they could move CoP, IaSW, GMwML, etc across the country several decades ago then I'm sure they could haul a few simulators through the esplanade to a new park.

• Yeah...I'm cool

I agree with you on the point of star wars deserving something on their own and not taking over tomorrowland,

but the opening sequence was meant not to give you reference in time. The statement I always felt was a point in our distant future, since the main characters are listed as human in the star wars universe, and we are hearing about a story of those future relative's ancestors.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Artistic integrity

I totally agree with you 'lasttuesday'.

It would be nice if execs behind closed doors are considering all these issues. I hope they are.

The scary thing though ... the company is going full force on Franchises. That seems to be the only thing on their minds.

What has to happen .. is the co. needs to be open to listening to what Disneyland Fans have to say. Not just us hardcore fans who post all the time. But ALL paying guests.

Makes me want to know though ... What about all the Survey CMs ... and the various questions they ask the public.

Not everyone is a Star Wars fan .. and those who are ... would expect to see their favorite Star Wars environments come to life in a big way .. before they step in, and have to pay for Disney's very high prices.

But I want to throw this out - I heard from someone recently (not someone who reads any online stuff) ... who I would swear listened to the same story Miceage recently put out - the same 4 ideas thought out for Tomorrowland .. which defy logic.

1. The Astro Orbitor on the roof of the 3D movie auditorium. Can you imagine the force perspective issues .. of what this does to Space Mountain? Not to mention permanently obstructing the view of this famous Tomorrowland icon? The Rocket Jets/Astro Orbitor requires a long shaft to run below the ride we see. That's going to look funny ... having a shaft run through the middle of the 3D theater underneath !!!

2. A cantina to surround the old PM Boarding Station. With Coke Terrace to the north, I see one big CLOGGED up mess .. as people try to get further into the land.

3. 3D movie involving Yoda. This 3D Movie format needs to bite the dust, once and for all. 3D movies are not a theme park exclusive anymore, and they are not very repeatable experiences.

4. This story from "someone I know" said about that Speeder Bike idea .... This according to him: The Speeder Bike would absorb 3 ride facilities into one. Taking up Autopia, Innoventions, and the PM track. According to him .. we are dodging Storm Troopers on our trek. The carousel theater is not demolished .. but repurposed AGAIN to be the queue. Once over the former Autopia ... that is your "Moon of Endor" section. So to create this one big so called "E Ticket" ... Tomorrowland .. and all of Disneyland for that matter .. looses ride capacity! You know ... the Peoplemover had a capacity of 4,800 people per hour. Carousel of Progress and America Sings had something close that .. with 240 people being loaded in, one auditorium for every 4 minute rotation. Autopia 2,843 per hour. All to be lost .. to a ride that probably would have a similar capacity to that of Screamin' which is about 2400 per hour. With 21st Century crowds the way they are ... Disney execs shouldn't be thinking of vein Star Wars projects that lower ride capacity in the land .. in the park, in general. The other thing that really sucks about such an idea .. .it brings down the number of attractions to enjoy in the land. Less rides, less variety, less capacity .. means more people packing the walking areas .. looking for more things to do. Oh .. and the "figure 8" section of the Monorail would be gone as well.

So ... to all those thinking their "Star Wars" dreams are going to come true .. and you have all these fantastic adventures .. and experiences ... with all the worlds within the "Star Wars" universe ... think again:

1. Tie Fighter/X-Wing Astro Orbitor
    2. Speeder Bike dodging storm troopers, and a run through an "Endor" area
    3. Yoda 3D extravaganza!

Feel a bit cheated now Star Wars fans?

That does not sound like much at all!

Oh .... and I can't leave this out - Starcade 2 levels restored .. with a Wreck it Ralph presence. (Couldn't beleive he said that!)

Happy now?

THESE IDEAS SUCK!

BIG TIME!

And I sincerely hope where-ever my source got these stories from ... they all have to be cocked up stories pulled out of thin air ... because they all sound horrible!

Is this the best Disney can do?????????????
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by lasttuesday View Post
    Moreover, how does this fit into the idea of Walt's famous speech, "Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future." How would we continue to, "leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy?

There are a couple ways to approach this and surely you can't sell Star Wars short. The massive popularity of Star Wars proves that the franchise holds stories and values that the human civilization will still crave, cherish and desire into the future. At the core of Star Wars is a story of how technology does not make might. A story of how people, with strong convictions and a desire to do right, can still accomplish their goals without technology. Star Wars has always been a story of heroes and villians, of good and bad, and it's hard to imaging that storytelling will have no place in the future.

There's a very important concept that often gets lost in these discussions about what Tomorrowland should/needs to be. No where does Walt ever say that technology represents the only future humans will have. The dedication plaque to Tomorrowland calls for a land that is a vista into ideas, a land of constructive things to come, and a land dedicated to the new frontiers of science, adventure and ideals. It does not say that the future should be a showcase for corporate branded technology. Does Tomorrowland do an adequate job of conveying the ideas and values that the people in the future will have? Should it? Or should Tomorrowland just be a simple 2D view of the future: Technology = better living.

As long as there is still reason for people to know the diffrence between good and evil, and the challenge of doing what is right, there will always be a need for stories like Star Wars. And by incorporating Star Wars, Tomorrowland can be an even more constructive vision of the future, showcasing ideals and lessons that will help improve the human condition in a way that past visions for Tomorrowland never were able to.

Obviously just an opinion. Walt left a lot of wriggle room in his speeches and dedications. If only he were around to tell us why exactly the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit fit into Tomorrowand, I think we would be better equipped to tackle this question.

i'd like to see tomorrowland receive a whole new aesthetic that focuses less on outer space and more on our own planet. i'm thinking less metallics and more greenery and natural materials. it would be a great way to inspire future generations to take care of the environment. & it would transition nicely into the lagoon, sans nemo.

i'm not too sure about what attractions would work here, but i'd say keep space mountain & star tours and overhaul the rest!

More Star Wars!! Give the public what they want.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast