Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Annual Passholder Discount Crackdown

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    First of all, it’s not illegal. Secondly, I believe you meant community property, not common law. They are two totally different things.
    Thank you! I knew that just couldn't think of the proper term. And I have no clue about the legality - just speculating there.

If any of you want me to represent you in a court of law I charge only $50 and hour. Trust me it's worth every penny!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by runitskat View Post
    I wonder if they are going to start making sure the person who is driving and paying is the pass holder to get free parking.
    They already do this at WDW. It doesn't happen to me every time, but several times this year while stopping at the parking toll booth at whatever park I'm visiting for the day, I show them my pass and they ask to see my ID. In cases like that, it doesn't bother me because people handing off their APs to friends/family to use isn't right and violates the Terms of Service. But they were also doing it because I heard a box of AP stock was stolen and turned up on ebay so they were trying to weed out the stolen passes.

More often now I also get asked for my ID when I present my pass when making purchases and I'm ok with that too for the reason stated above. But I don't get the big deal over using my pass to let a friend/family member get my discount as long as they're with me or if they've given the money to me in advance if they can't be there. But what that CM did to the OP to me was wrong. With some couples, one person is the one who carries the money in most situations. As long as you're there together and especially if cash is being used, there shouldn't be an issue. If they gave me a problem, even if I was in a hurry, I would make the time to speak to a manager an explain the situation because there are a LOT of situations.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, they are going to lose and probably are losing millions because of this. If reports are to be believed, there are close to 1 million annual passholders. If every one of them abused the system to the tune of as little as $1, it would mean that Disney had $1 million stolen from them. I realize that not every passholder is stealing from Disney this way, but then again, not every discount is as little as $1 either. In short, it’s not just the couple of bucks that Disney is losing from a single sale, it is the aggregate amount of all the illegal transference of discounts that they are looking at.
    It may well add up but Disney makes decisions regarding potential losses and weighs them against customer service issues. It's why they let so much merchandise just walk right out the door, because they do not want to deal with potential customer service issues. There is simply no way to enforce the policy in any sort of effective manner.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    More often now I also get asked for my ID when I present my pass when making purchases and I'm ok with that too for the reason stated above.
    I only have passes to the other Orlando parks, but I have never been asked for ID nor do I even bother to look which pass I display. It could be mine or anybody else in my party.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by runitskat
    I wonder if they are going to start making sure the person who is driving and paying is the pass holder to get free parking.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They already do this at WDW. It doesn't happen to me every time, but several times this year while stopping at the parking toll booth at whatever park I'm visiting for the day, I show them my pass and they ask to see my ID.
    Hmmm...I am wondering how that works in cases where the person with the free parking pass is a child. I know a lot of people have mentioned here that they will get the Premium AP (with free parking) for their kid, to enable the kid to visit the park with either parent or another relative/guardian. In that case I guess they'd just look in the car to see if the kid's there?

I get asked for my ID pretty much every time I use my AP to buy things at Disneyland, whether with cash or credit. At this point I just automatically hand over the ID with the AP without being asked. I don't mind. I'd honestly rather that they double check.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberZorro View Post
    Actually, CA is not a common law marriage state.
    The correct term is "community property state."
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet

Don't know what the big deal is. Been a CM for 15 years and whenever I use my discount I have to be the one with the money. If my fiancé hands me the cash they will not accept it. This has always been the rule for cast members and now that top tier passes get the same Merch discount as CMs who have been with the company under three years it is an understandable policy

Am I missing something here? What's the problem exactly? It's clear that the AP discount is non-transferable and for your sole personal use. That the CM's decline to offer the discount if the money comes from someone else sounds like standard operating procedure. You know this is the case now, so just carry your own money when you're going to Disney. Those of you who have so much dough that you can't possibly carry it yourself, even on the singular occasions when you know you're going to making Disney purchases probably don't need to worry about that discount anyway. Talk about first world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybelly View Post
    Wow.. and i don't mean that in a good way. I will have to check this out for myself.So that means if I have a guest and they don't have a AP if they want a souvenir they cannot get my discount even if they use cash
    They can't make a purchase with your AP, but you can. Just be the one handing over the funds to the cast member. I can understand a bit more scrutiny to keep people from using someone else's pass (now that they have no pictures), just hope there aren't too many silly problems, like the op's situation. That seemed to be a bit much.

Why is it every time a gray area, rule, enforcement/non enforcement thread comes up, everyone suddenly turns into Dwight Schrute? No one here is being entitled, no one is trying to screw over disney, families just want to be recognized that they often handle money as a unit and don't want to be lumped with actual abusers of discounts.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Back in July a CM would not take my card to discount my best friend's purchase. He told me I had to do the payment. ...So I took my friend's gift card and handed it to him, and asked it if it counted. He had no problem with it.

Weirdly enough, my mom paid for breakfast using my AP with no problem this morning.

• Park Lover

Exactly this. Families share money, it's all in one pot. No one is ripping anyone off! It's a stupid waste of customer service time for a CM to make an issue of this, especially in a cash transaction! All the person then has to do is waste time getting in another line and having the money handed to them first....for what exactly??

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Why is it every time a gray area, rule, enforcement/non enforcement thread comes up, everyone suddenly turns into Dwight Schrute? No one here is being entitled, no one is trying to screw over disney, families just want to be recognized that they often handle money as a unit and don't want to be lumped with actual abusers of discounts.
    My Disneyland After Dark Flickr set!
    My Disneyland Flickr set!
    My Walt Disney World Flickr set!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    The root of the problem is Disney's management, who year after year do a notoriously lame job of defining rules and procedures for their frontline employees, and an even lamer job of training said employees in the intricacies of enforcing those rules and procedures (a subset of Customer Service, training for which literally does not exist at Disney University). The result is haphazard and contradictory enforcement, to the frustration of employees and honest customers alike, and to the advantage of dishonest customers who scam the system.

The same pattern of failed management policy and failed training has been discussed in many other areas of DLR customer-employee interactions, in literally dozens of threads in the last five years.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mel- View Post
    Exactly this. Families share money, it's all in one pot. No one is ripping anyone off! It's a stupid waste of customer service time for a CM to make an issue of this, especially in a cash transaction! All the person then has to do is waste time getting in another line and having the money handed to them first....for what exactly??
    Thank you. All I was trying to do was purchase 2 items using my AP to get my discount. I was not buying for anyone else except for me. I even showed the CM my id when I handed him my AP which is fine, I expect that. But when he wouldn't except my cash just because I wasn't carrying it was confusing because that was the first time I have heard of that happening. What they need to do is once they take your AP and get ready to scan it for the discount is to let you know that you will need to be the one paying out of your own pocket/purse whatever in order to get the discount. That way if someone doesn't have all of the funds with them they can opt out of the transaction, get the funds from whoever might be carrying them, then proceed to check out instead of being embarrassed in front of others in line by the CM making a big deal of not being able to take your payment.
    Not every person who owns an AP knows this and Disney is sure not specific enough about this in their rules.

I'm not an AP holder and I don't know anyone that is, but I'm curious - if I was an AP holder and was at the park with my boyfriend, and we got dinner, and I used my AP discount, would they only apply the discount to my meal, or to the whole check? And if they apply to the whole check, then do I have to pay for the entire check, or can we split it?

I ask because I could see this situation translating easily into food and dining, just like it does with parking, and I'm curious as to how they handle it.

• Mouseke-Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    I'm not an AP holder and I don't know anyone that is, but I'm curious - if I was an AP holder and was at the park with my boyfriend, and we got dinner, and I used my AP discount, would they only apply the discount to my meal, or to the whole check? And if they apply to the whole check, then do I have to pay for the entire check, or can we split it?

I ask because I could see this situation translating easily into food and dining, just like it does with parking, and I'm curious as to how they handle it.
    I did this last month where I paid for lunch for the whole party (3 of us). They didn't make any deal about it. I have also been where a friend, who is an AP holder, paid for breakfast (4 of us), again it wasn't an issue there.

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast