Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do strollers really get stollen?

We are getting ready to go to Disneyland next week--yipeee. I have seen in a couple of threads about strollers getting stollen in the park. What?? This is our second trip taking a stroller and we are taking the nicer one this time. Honestly, I never thought about our stroller getting stollen last time, but I would hate to see this one go. Should we just rent?

Also, we live in Northern California so I thought our weather would be about the same. I have been noticing people in pictures wearing short sleaves. Is your weather that nice??
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Do strollers really get stollen?

When our kids were stroller aged we had the same stroller for 5 years between the 2 kids. In those 5 years we never had any problems with the stroller. You figure we visited every 2 - 3 weeks during that time so it's WELL over 100 visits. Not even taking into effect multi-day visits.

We never had any problems with our stroller. One day while at DCA one of the wheels just fell off. Must have been all of the mileage. I mean, we would even leave our Video Camera in there sometimes.

I have heard stories about people in recent years having problems with strollers though. My advice: If you don't want it stolen don't leave it in the stroller.

• Man O Lantern

Check the ten day weather forecast on www.weather.com for Anaheim. That's what I always do before we head down.

We've never had any problems with our personal stroller. We have left alllll kinds of things in it....sometimes I'm a bit sharper and I make sure we don't leave TOO much in there, but all our Disneyland shopping bags, food, water bottles, travel coffee cups, toys....all get left in there and nothing has happened to them yet. We bought the stroller we have now just for Disneyland trips, and it's seen its last day at Disneyland! Our daughter just turned five and we're retiring it! It's in great shape...only been used 5-6 times in the last four years, for about 25 days....but the mileage!

The only problems with stolen strollers we've had...has been the rentals. We've had people take our rental stroller twice! Luckily we took most everything out....and of course the next time it was taken, we'd had everything out of it but the name card on the top. Ugh. That can be a pain, carrying the baby, holding the hand of a toddler, and heading out to get another stroller.

• What we need. . .

I've had friends who have had their rental stroller taken (but with your receipt you can get a replacement free of charge). However, I've never had any problems with my personal strollers. I love taking a stroller that my baby can sleep in comfortably. I wouldn't leave anything nice on it tho - not even your diaper bag.

• Huh?

...or your firstborn child.

But, really... what kind of diapers and bottles are parents putting in diaper bags that would make somebody actually want to steal it?!

Is there really a black market for diapers or something?!
    -Tim

We always had a stroller when we went and nothing ever happened to it. I know my Dad and step-mom always left stuff in it. Including the video camera!! It was always right were we left it. Of course I tend to think that was just pure luck. . . There might just be so many strollers that ours just didn't get stollen that day. Who knows!! I think I'd take it and not leave anything in it. Then nobody would want to steal it!!

Amy

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

i think the problem is with the rental strollers, not with personal ones. I've never heard of a personal stroller being stolen.

glad to hear it is the rental strollers getting stolen. And thank you for the 10 day forcast.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Mousketeer

Back in the day, We have had both our stroller(rental) and stuff in our stroller taken. The stroller wasn't any problem because Disney replaced it right away.

When we had our stuff stolen out of the stroller it was on a friday night in the winter, so it was probably some of the local high-school aged APer's.

Of course they got nothing of value, just a few diapers and our kids jackets.
    Like most crimes like this, they just saw an opportunity and took the backpack hoping there was something of value in it.

The very friendly security guard comp'ed us some sweatshirts for the kids.

So my advice is to be careful about what you leave in your stroller.

• Mickeyfan3

We only had one instance out of many trips where our umbrella stroller was taken...and at first I thought it was an honest mistake, then I was convinced that it was NOT a real Disney fan and was taken on purpose....I had put a bright ribbon on the handle and had some baby items left right on the seat and in the basket, came off Splash Mountain and it was gone. I figured it was an accident and had time to kill so I strolled around to see if they'd dropped it off somewhere else. I found it - buried in the farthest reaches of stroller parking for Pirates - w/ the ribbon off of it. I'd written our last name in indelible ink on the bottom side of the handle, and after confirming it was ours and not a mistake I dumped their stuff on the ground to the side and took it back. I'm sure that was a one in a million occurrance through - a true Disney fan would never do that on purpose!!! (and would probably bring it back to the point of origin, too!)

• The Candidate

About 13 years ago we had a nice stroller stolen. They took everything including the dirty diapers. After that, we used a bicycle lock whenever we went.

Happened to us!

Our personal double stroller was stolen last Labor Day weekend 2005 along w/ our diaper bag, a Mickey Mouse doll and a couple of jackets. My folks (who had the kids at that time while DH and I rode Space Mountain) parked it in a designated stroller lot in front of "It's a Small World," placed several rows in. Kept checking with guest services throughout our four-day stay at the DLR to see if it was ever turned in. We never saw it again.

I don't think you have too much to worry about. Odds are that your stroller will be exactly where you left it. But, yes, personal strollers do get stolen. Doesn't happen very often, but unfortunately they do.

Like, DifrntDrmr, we now use a lock for our replacement stroller. Takes a minute or two to lock it up, but we don't want to go through that again.

• Playtester

Re: Happened to us!

I have a double stroller and have never had a problem. Even when we put those glow necklaces on the wheels and frame, we have never had anyone take the stroller or even steal the glowies off the wheels or frame. We also make sure we stick our stroller in a designated stroller spot so its not moved anywhere. I also pull down the hoods, lock both brakes, and always have a ton of blankets and junk in it. When I purchased the stroller I paid a little more to make sure I got one that wasn't in a very easy to find print, so it stands out a lot. You can also borrow an engraver from your local police department and engrave your driver's license number onto the stroller. Then if its stollen, its easier to find. (On another note- my renters insurance covers our property if we are on vacation and it is stollen. If your stroller is pricey, call your insurance rep and see if part of it is covered).
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

We had one of the rental strollers taken once, luckily we did not leave anything in it and we were already going to leave for DTD and picked up a new rental when going into DCA. We always try and make sure to lock down the wheels and leave the sun flap down so it's harder for someone to accidentally take our stroller instead of theirs since they all look alike.

I would think those that are using bike locks to secure their strollers to railings and such could have their locks cut as CM's often need to move strollers for crowd control. I don't think it would be a problem to lock the wheels together so you can't push it.

Why tempt would be thieves be leaving things like video cameras or anything else of value in your stroller, rent a locker for things you are not using often. That way your belonging will be secure and your stroller will be lighter to push around.

Also for those that have a Disney Visa one of the perks was free stroller rentals(max of 2 per day I think, replacements not counted as you just show your receipt).

• Who's your DaddyB?

I've looked longingly at other people's double-wide swivel wheel jogging strollers... those suckers aren't cheap! I mean, we had some eye-tal-yun import double stroller given to us (that I hated) that I know went for more than $500. I don't know how many times we just left it in whatever parking area (or just abandoned ship when there was no stroller area available). "Abandon Ship" would be about right, too. That sucker was Queen Mary long.

Anywho... my oldest has grown out of strollers anyway. We never had ours taken.

Our neighbors had their stroller cleaned out once over at DCA. Jackets, Diaper Bag, Digital camera, everything. So watch what you leave in the stroller.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast