Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm confused. If this wasn't a "real explosive", then how can the same bomb at LAX cause possibly cause disruption and fear? Evidently, the same bomb at Disneyland is something so innocent as to only a deserve a relative slap on the wrist as punishment,
    Please do not combine posts from different people and generalize a response...

I did not say it was not a real bomb (although I don't truly believe it is...)

The difference is that one gentleman, a 41 year old supervisor, was working in a very high security area, which has been the subject of much fear since 9/11 and where this behavior was never condoned, whereas the other was in his early 20's, not in a supervisory role, and was in an area that while under high security, was participating in antics that were widespread throughout his department that his supervisors had failed to stop in the past...

Anyone who can't see the difference that is beyond reason...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Should have been 6 months.
    Agreed.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I think 3 years of probation is excessive for this.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

I think this was too harsh. Jail time and 3 years probation? Really? He was not acting alone. He wasn't some CM who went rouge and wanted to terrorize guests. This was a well known, common prank, that CM's do to each other and he was going along with it. It was bad timing, but I am sure he meant no harm to anyone. He just got thrown under the bus and was made an example of. College students get away with WAY more stuff. Intent is everything and he did not mean or plan to harm any guests. I bet he got a bad lawyer who just said "quiet, let me do all the talking" and they threw the book at him. Someone got startled while this poor kid, who wanted to work for disneyland and contribute to societies, has to sit in jail for 36 days, come out with a prison record, and will find it harder then ever to find a job and could wind up falling thru the cracks. This is too much.... too much.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

•   
    • Minion

I'm glad they knocked it down to a misdemeanor - my memory is fuzzy but I thought there was originally some felony charge or the potential for one. However, I'm glad this received some sentence. I would perhaps not have given him jail time but would have had him pay back the money spent sending the bomb squad out to investigate his antics.

Yes, it was a joke. Yes, it was a 20-something fooling around. His actions still had real consequences. There was time and money expended for the investigation, for instance. Also, IMHO they did need to send a message that this sort of joke isn't acceptable. Real explosive or not, something that explodes or causes a loud boom in a densely populated public place could very easily incite mass panic and cause very real injuries.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I think this was too harsh. Jail time and 3 years probation? Really? He was not acting alone. He wasn't some CM who went rouge and wanted to terrorize guests. This was a well known, common prank, that CM's do to each other and he was going along with it. It was bad timing, but I am sure he meant no harm to anyone. He just got thrown under the bus and was made an example of. College students get away with WAY more stuff. Intent is everything and he did not mean or plan to harm any guests. I bet he got a bad lawyer who just said "quiet, let me do all the talking" and they threw the book at him. Someone got startled while this poor kid, who wanted to work for disneyland and contribute to societies, has to sit in jail for 36 days, come out with a prison record, and will find it harder then ever to find a job and could wind up falling thru the cracks. This is too much.... too much.
    This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Selfie Expert

I'm no expert in law whatsoever, but I thought intent mattered?

Manslaughter vs. murder is based on intent, right?

If so, I would think there would be a difference between what was intended to be a harmless prank vs. intending to terrorize and/or harm.

That being said, I'm sure the penalty for the bombs at LAX will be much harsher. I don't agree at all that with anyone who believes they should be treated the same.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    How is dry ice considered a weapon? It gives off CO2 and when comes in contact with water dissipates faster. They use it even for the stage shows as an effect.
    How is ammonium nitrate fertilizer considered a weapon? When mixed with the right components it can be devastating, just ask
    the State of Oklahoma. It may have been an "innocent prank" but people should know better and he got what he deserved.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• i believe in faeries.

i think it was deserved. vandalism and other 'harmless pranks' are getting ridiculous, and i think him being charged was disney proving a point. it's actually refreshing to see something stupid be taken seriously... too often it's a slap on the wrist, a warning, etc. a bit harsh? maybe... but hopefully he will look back and think, 'man. that stupid prank reallllyyyy wasn't worth it.' just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Why? Nobody got hurt, nor could they probably have been hurt by a dry ice bomb in the garbage can. Even if your hands were in the can, even if you were a janitor changing the bag. It wasn't a real explosive.
    It could have hurt someone. We made those things when I was a kid. I remember one guy picked one up that hadn't gone off thinking it was safe. It blew up right in his face, he was probably lucky he was wearing glasses. The plastic on the 2 liter bottle blew apart and sliced his arms and face pretty good. I suspect it is possible someone could lose an eye from something like this.

Looking back, it is probably fortunate that no one I knew killed themself.

• I'm from Canada eh!

A bit heavy handed IMO.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    A bit heavy handed IMO.
    Not after reading Mackster's post just now. Look folks a prank is a whoopee cushion on somebody's chair. What this guy did was designed to stir the **** and gain somebody reputation. He got his reputation and it will follow him around for the rest of his life.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I guess that's alright. The 36 days in jail seems slightly excessive, as does the 3-year probation, but it could have been worse. I feel bad for the kid though as I'm sure he's already "scared straight" so I don't know that probation is really necessary, but at least he didn't get 2 years in jail or something ridiculous like that.

Oh, and in regards to the dry ice bomb itself and the comments that everyone in ODV does it. There is a world of difference between what he did and what any other ODV CM does, and that is that any dry ice bomb that an ODV CM did as a prank was always BACKSTAGE, where the guests would not see it. We used to do pranks all of the time when I worked there, but ALWAYS backstage, never ever in view of a park guest. To do this onstage and to shatter the illusion that Disneyland is supposed to create is completely different and would never, ever be allowed or tolerated by any ODV CM that I knew.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Dumb question i know but what does 3 years of probation mean? I always assumed it just meant if within 3 years the person got in trouble for a similar offense then they were in even more trouble.

• Greetings, Program!

Never been on probation but I'm assuming it to mean that one needs to keep their nose squeaky clean during that time otherwise it's back to the cooler immediately.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast