Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: CM Who Set Off Dry Ice Bomb Convicted

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    Never been on probation but I'm assuming it to mean that one needs to keep their nose squeaky clean during that time otherwise it's back to the cooler immediately.
    Probation could be a whole range of things. It would most certainly include keeping your nose clean, but could also have requirements that you show up for specific meetings, that you avoid contact with the victim, that you not have any contact with another convicted felon... Unfortunately probation is one of those areas where a judge can pretty much make up whatever terms they want. I have known of some people that have requested that they not be paroled early because they wanted to simply serve their original sentence and not have to deal with parole as it often includes probation that can be much longer than they person would have been if they served their sentence.

As to what the terms were of this guy's sentence I have no clue.

• Minion

Firing him would have been sufficient enough imo.

• a wind to shake the stars

Didn't a few cast members confirm that this was pretty standard practice as a prank within CM circles? Doing it during park hours in a crowded area, maybe not so much, but I don't think this kid was the first one to set off an ice bomb at Disneyland. Yeah, it wasn't the best idea, but a month in jail for a prank? He should've just been fired and given community service.

Probation is really a period of supervision handed by the court system. It's that instead of him serving more time in jail. He got 36 days in jail. That is very little.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Didn't a few cast members confirm that this was pretty standard practice as a prank within CM circles? Doing it during park hours in a crowded area, maybe not so much, but I don't think this kid was the first one to set off an ice bomb at Disneyland. Yeah, it wasn't the best idea, but a month in jail for a prank? He should've just been fired and given community service.
    He was fired and he was given community service. he was also given one-month jail time. The jail times probably due to the fact that he set off an explosive in a public area of the park - endangering guests
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Senior Minion

^ My hunch is that throwing the book at this guy was probably due to the fact that his employer was Disney and he was tried in Orange County. Jail time is a win-win for both Disney and the D.A. -- Disney gets to send a scary message to its employees, the D.A. gets to support the #1 employer and taxpayer in Orange County, and both profit from the publicity of appearing macho on "terrorism."

The facts that dry ice "trash can bombs" aren't bombs, don't do damage other than making noise, and are a longstanding prank, are irrelevant to the politics of making a large, loud example of the employee.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-05-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ My hunch is that throwing the book at this guy was probably due to the fact that his employer was Disney and he was tried in Orange County. Jail time is a win-win for both Disney and the D.A. -- Disney gets to send a scary message to its employees, the D.A. gets to support the #1 employer and taxpayer in Orange County, and both profit from the publicity of appearing macho on "terrorism."

The facts that dry ice "trash can bombs" aren't bombs, don't do damage other than making noise, and are a longstanding prank, are irrelevant to the politics of making a large, loud example of the employee.
    The loud explosion could have caused someone to have a heart attack. Now is it just a prank?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    The loud explosion could have caused someone to have a heart attack. Now is it just a prank?
    But it didn't. I could drive 100 MPH on the highway and if I get caught I would receive a ticket. The citation is not for what i could have potentially done with my car at 100 mph, it is for the offense.

I think we all can agree that this man deserved to be punished, I think we are just in disagreement to what degree.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Don't do damage?

OK.

Dry Ice Explosion - YouTube

• Minion

Don't do damage?

OK.

Dry Ice Explosion - YouTube
    In the context of the story, no damage was reported.
    Source: Disneyland Employee Arrested in Toontown Explosion | KTLA 5

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    It could have hurt someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    The loud explosion could have caused someone to have a heart attack.

The argument of "It could have" is one that I'm beginning to wonder... do people get punished for things that "could have" happened?

For example - are people charged with murder if they "could have" killed someone? No, they're charged with attempted murder. As someone stated above, if you're caught speeding you get a ticket for speeding, not for manslaughter because you "could have" hit a pedestrian.

That's not to say that I don't agree there was a potential for harm, but the fact is that no one was hurt, and I don't think his intent was to hurt anyone. His decision was reckless, for sure, but I think we're entering dangerous territory when we start punishing people who things that could have happened than for what actually happened.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    In the context of the story, no damage was reported.
    Source: Disneyland Employee Arrested in Toontown Explosion | KTLA 5
    I fully understand that and have read all previous stories stating as such. I personally wouldn't want myself, nor my toddler, next to one of those innocent little dry ice pranks when one goes off. Good to know so many here seem to feel just dandy with them.

• Minion

I fully understand that and have read all previous stories stating as such. I personally wouldn't want myself, nor my toddler, next to one of those innocent little dry ice pranks when one goes off. Good to know so many here seem to feel just dandy with them.
    I don't feel dandy with them. However, the media is portraying this occurrence as an overblown attack which is simply not true. What the CM did was still wrong, but I believe the punishment was too excessive.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    The argument of "It could have" is one that I'm beginning to wonder... do people get punished for things that "could have" happened?

For example - are people charged with murder if they "could have" killed someone? No, they're charged with attempted murder. As someone stated above, if you're caught speeding you get a ticket for speeding, not for manslaughter because you "could have" hit a pedestrian.

That's not to say that I don't agree there was a potential for harm, but the fact is that no one was hurt, and I don't think his intent was to hurt anyone. His decision was reckless, for sure, but I think we're entering dangerous territory when we start punishing people who things that could have happened than for what actually happened.
    Exactly right. Clearly this guy is being made an example because of where it happened. If we want to imagine what "could have" happened, let's imagine it happening at Six Flags in Valencia, Sea World in Florida or the Iowa State Fair. Doesn't take much imagination to see a very different reaction and punishment.

Now, I'm not excusing what the guy did. But it's obvious that he isn't just being punished for what he actually did and what the physical result actually was, but also for what "could have" and "might have" happened, plus the symbolism (and politics) of where it happened.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

Well, the law punishes for potential harm in a lot of cases. If you yell 'fire' in a crowded theater (that old cliche) or you're drunk driving, you're going to get the book thrown at you regardless if you actually caused a riot or hit someone on the road - because your actions did have tremendous potential to do someone in.

Plus, this guy's actions did have ramifications. They had to call the bomb squad in ($$$), they had to close part of the park, and the fact that something loud went off like that might have caused some real distress to guests. It's not just a silly prank when that level of action needs to be taken.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast